1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think should happen to Tomlin and the Steelers?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by pellynch14, Dec 4, 2013.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Well said. The fact that he was being watched isn't a convincing argument to me. High profile people do inconceivable things all the time. People make bad choices in the heat of the moment/out of desperation every day. Anyway, every time I tell myself I'm sick of hearing about this, I find myself discussing it. :facepalm:

2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You commented that you were very impressed with how Tomlin handled the press conference yesterday, but I take it that you weren't impressed enough to change your mind about whether or not Tomlin did this intentionally? He said in the press conference that he absolutely did not do this on purpose. So what were you impressed with, the fact that he continued to lie about it? :shrug:

3. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Here you go Jack.

4. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    You do realize the grin came after they had gone to commercial break and had shown it to the crowd several times. The way it gets edited together makes it look as if he did it then immediately started snarking about it!

5. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    could be... to me i would have hung my head in shame and not been looking at the replay grinning... but i can se your point.. as you say .. depends on how you look at it ..

HINES

6. HinesWardHOF

Oct 24, 2011
    personally i dont think it matters if the grin came 2 minutes or 2 hours after it happened.. it happened and it had no place happening ANY time.. IMHO

HINES

7. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I know he took the bull by the horns and he should have. He said it was a huge blunder, inexcusable and he deserved any punishment the NFL meted out. BUT...he also maintained that he did not do it intentionally. That seems to be the fundamental issue among Steeler fans, whether or not he did it intentionally. I thought the presser yesterday would have convinced a few that originally thought it was intentional to change their minds. If I thought it was intentional I'd be calling for Tomlin's head right now. But I don't. I think it was a foolish, yet unintentional, act.

8. HinesWardHOF

Oct 24, 2011
    well said .. but when the jets coach actually tripped a guy on the field the jets didnt lose a pick.. so why would we lose a pick?

HINES

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It wasn't on the field, it was behind the white line on the sideline. The player was running out of bounds and he got tripped. Not that any of that is ok.

10. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I said the day after that I expected a heavy fine, and even a small suspension wouldn't shock me.

Not, mind you, that I thought even THAT would be a just punishment. I just know that Heir Goodell loves going overboard especially when it's anyone in Black and Gold.

But draft picks? REALLY?

When is the last time a ref was fined for making a bad call that affected the outcome of the game? If taking draft picks from us for this little snafu is justice, why wasn't NE STRIPPED of at least one Lombardi? After all, we're comparing the actions of one man in the spur of the moment that didn't even affect the outcome of the game vs. the actions of an entire organization that affected whole seasons and championships.

Touch Brady = fine. Dive at Ben's knees, or hit him in the head = look the other way. Coincidence? Hell, go H2H with Hines Ward TWICE in a single game - on national TV - and not only is it not flagged, it's not fined either.

100K seems a little on the high side, but I'm fine with it. He f'ed up. He should take his medicine. But that's as far as it should go. To punish the entire organization only proves what we've known about this fraud of a dictator, er, I mean, commissioner all along.

All I know is, Vince McMahon is jealous because even he couldn't make himself look this bad - in FICTION and on purpose!

11. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Don't forget celebrated as an outstanding (Legal) hit by the man who would later ascend to Heaven on the football field!

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No one is going to change their mind Jack, both camps have their minds made up. I think you need to take everything into consideration and not just what you see in the clip. No one will convince me he did that on purpose, I think that's ludicrous. Plus, was he looking at his magic 8 ball before the kickoff? How did he know Jones would break one? Regardless, he was barely on the field and didn't even touch the guy, whole thing is totally efiing stupid.

13. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm sure the old "clueless coach staring at the jumbotron on the sideline while wandering aimlessly onto the field" play is one that Danny Smith has the special teams practicing weekly. And hey, it worked like a charm last Thursday! :rolleyes:

14. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    You may be onto something, Jack. Afterall, Coach Tomlin said himself that he does that all the time... :hmmm:

15. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is all the Special teams coach's fault!

If the players would have just made the darn tackle 20 yards earlier! :p

16. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    that's what i was think interesting , since when i looked in real at even more on the replay i'm convinced it was intentional but obviously not premeditated i wonder if tomlin is desperate or out of mind for something , maybe he dosn't know how to right the ship and that is not in control of team or that the work in front to him is too bigger for a guy like him ,he is young and full of himself maybe he is discovering that all his castle is falling down , i just try to understand why he did a so desperation move automatically .,without thinking what could have happen

17. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    What do i think should happen to Tomlin and the Steelers?

Think the Rooney's need to put a foot where the sun don't commonly shine and motivate Tomlin and the players into winning this game Sunday and stop this dog & pony show with Tomlin.. need to get serious now!!

18. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    With the painted stripe along the sideline, Ray Charles would have a valid excuse for not knowing where he was at. :facepalm:

I'm still waiting for someone/anyone to find me a link to a full text version of Tomlin's Press Conference. :smiley1:

19. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Without getting into the debate on whether he did it intentionally or not I will say that you can watch any game, at any level and see coaches standing where Tomlin was quite frequently. How often do you see a ref warn a coach about being to far on the field. Being on the field when they shouldn't be is a pretty common practice for a coach. Remember that it is easy to second guess after the fact. The chain of events that led up to this mess happened in a matter of seconds. I know some of people speak of it as if it took minutes to happen. Just saying!

20. M. Connors

M. Connors Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think Tomlin might have done it on purpose, or not.
    I think that not only did it not (obviously) affect the game, it barely affected that play.
    I think the media loves stories like this because it gives them a week off from actually working.
    I think Roger loves sticking it to the Steelers when he feels he's safe to do so.
    I think if an opposing coach did this to a Steelers return man in a similar circumstance and the Steelers won, most Steelers fans wouldn't care.
    I think I would love to have a job making enough money where a $100k fine would be referred to as "taking my medicine."
    I think we're alone now. There doesn't seem to be anyone a-round-ound.

21. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Jack, it's already been proven Tomlin can't even keep his stories straight between his presser and his radio show. His presser sure changed my opinion of him, in the negative direction.

22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011

I think all of this is bang on the money.

Except for the Tiffany bit.

23. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    just a question , i sinceraly don't know , it is normal that an head coach watch a returning kick on the jumbotrone ?

24. HinesWardHOF

Oct 24, 2011
    needed to get serious 11 weeks ago and we wouldnt be in this position... but then again.. maybe we just arnt that good and we really are a 5-11 team as some of us said in the preseason?

HINES

25. Steel Commando

Steel Commando Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    FYI....Per Mike and Mike this morning ( Thursday ) if it comes down to points tie breaker between us and the Rats. then they will revisit the draft pick issue. So, based on their explanation from the NFL Aiello, they will alter draft order if we somehow have a better position due this specific tie breaker.