1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think our red zone problem is ?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bettissb40, Oct 24, 2017.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    https://www.all22.com/pittsburgh-steelers/steelers-matter-factly-deny-ben-roethlisberger-request

and just last weekend I watched Drew Brees jump over the goal line on a qb sneak. Brees praised his box jump exercises for that TD lol. Kinda funny since when I saw Brees do that sneak, I thought why isn't Ben getting those opportunities? But Haley said its a staff decision to protect the QB so we won't see that anytime soon. But as PWP mentioned, Ben can't take his Hoveround on the field so we were screwed anyway...

2. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I think the field gets smaller in the redzone and Ben gets a little happy feet. The play calling is suspect to. Last Sunday they called a draw to Bell and it went nowhere on third and goal. Plus Ben looks AB’s way everytime on his first progression. I mean we’ve gotten to the 2-5yd line and kick a field goal. We have the players to get TD’s instead of field goals to but we just seem to bog down in the redzone.

We play the Pats in a couple weeks and we won’t beat them kicking field goals.

I hope we get this win against Detroit this weekend because it seems like a trap game to me. It’s a game we “should” win but we like making games interesting so we’ll see!

3. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Both? In the Cowher era we were a highly successful 3-4 defense. Year after year we would look for specific athletes to fit into that scheme and then turn Lebeau loose on them to make sure we got the most effective and coordinated effort from the group.

Tomlin arrives and brings tampa 2 experience and partiality with him. That couldn't be implemented fully with current personnel who weren't suited to the 4-3. The changes were made with existing personnel and the defensive scheme was structured more around the talent.

I don't know if I consider taking a snap under center as fundamentals. Footwork, throwing motion, and reading defenses don't change regardless of how you get the ball. Granted the transition from pre-snap to release is different with the addition of a 5 or 7 step drop.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it's all related to coaching though glory days. there are many instances of qb's being taught mechanics and small tendencies that need changing from where they hold the ball how high they hold the ball to get a quicker release when throwing. they rep those players on many things to fit what they need them to do.

some of it as simple as having a lineman set up in his stance with a foot a certain way and how his first step should be a half a step or a full step depending on how the defender is set up. coaching goes on constantly until it becomes muscle memory for these players.

we see this in conner not picking up his blocking assignments well. he is being coached to read certain things about the defense to allow him to make those adjustments. sure he can run the ball but it's more than that. we didn't not draft him because he fit that standard of being able to block well in the passing game. it has to be coached.

why is it that most players don't start reacting until year 3? it's because there is coaching to do. no our coaches don't work daily with these players but they are taught the proper way we want them to do certain things and that said player has to take on the coaching and work on his deficiencies during the season.

yes we try to get scheme specific players to an extent but we also get good athletes and teach them to do it the way we want. kelvin beachum was a good example. he was taught the center position by coaches and it was written about how he would practice at night in his apartment to learn the snap.

tendencies of opponents are taught weekly. during the season there just isn't time for one on one instruction during the week. it still doesn't mean these guys are not coached. at that point it's a different type of coaching they work on. the teaching of technique and mechanics have been coached and these players are expected to work on that daily until they get it.

DB's are absolutely taught how to place feet and open up to certain situations against certain offensive sets, or even how a WR lines up with which foot back on a certain set. O-linemen are taught to look at how defenders give up keys to as to what rush they will be taking (inside or out). D-linemen are taught to look for tendencies of O-linemen to pull certain ways. whether it's his hand placement or a certain lean he telegraphs. all of this is coached.

teams draft wr's that are body catchers and they coach that out of them. it doesn't mean that wr isn't or is scheme specific to that team. it's about coaching mechanics and muscle memory to fit them to many situations that we may run. downfield blocking, hand placement, hand fighting, holding without getting caught, stripping of footballs, tackling etc. these players coming in are nowhere near finished products when they get here. Some more so than others but still coaching is crucial.

i've done it for a long time. i have good friends and ex team mates that have played in the NFL and coached also. one is still currently an NFL position coach. one even played DB for the steelers. we talk, and i again tell you you're way off base on this one. so you pick at my posts about everything but it won't change the fact i know what i'm talking about. :cool:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    To add to what Mac is saying there is a valid reason players are not finished products when they reach the NFL.Most HS and College Coaches are about keeping their jobs not about the development of their players . Case in point is the QB position . A lot of Teams use their best Athlete at QB knowing that player has little or no chance of becoming a good QB at the next level. The reason they use him is to win games.

They get in the spread and use his ability as a Athlete to win games they really have no desire to teach that QB 3,5,7 step drops and reading progressions because they could care less if it's not their system.

The same can be said for OL in the spread . They don't teach power blocking or reach blocking or how to open up and use their hands . They teach cut blocks because the design is trickery in the run game and fast passes.

I could give examples for each and every position and how that position does not receive a level of Coaching that gets them anywhere near a finished product .One could make a case that a lot of players get stunted development because they are playing the wrong position .

This is why I say some guys could go from HS to the Pro's . It would take more time to develop them , but they would be better off than wasting 4 years at a position in College . I had a friend who went to ASU as a QB then he tried to switch to WR in the NFL . He got a few years in , but he had a offer from another College Team to move to WR . Armanti told me he wished he would have made that switch then as he believes he would still be in the NFL now as a WR.

This is my point . Most Teams could care less about what is best for a Player as a direct result a lot of Players have a lot to learn at the NFL level .

6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Our red zone problem is.... not scoring touchdowns lol

In all honesty though I think we just haven't play called super well down there. More runs please

7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like this version of the Power I . They use the wing as the extra blocker. In our case it would be the TE .Mcdonald and Nix should be able to get some room for Bell. As bad as we have been what could it hurt .I sent a link to Bell .

8. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Looks like a good plan.. Thanks for the video . You sent Bell a link lol

9. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Ben was better at putting the ball in the redzone earlier in his career with less talent than he is in the past couple years with way more talent. It’s got to be a lot of the play calling, but then again Ben can audible at the line. So I say it’s its play calling and execution of the plays. Either way it’s needs to be addressed before it becomes a bigger problem.