1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think our red zone problem is ?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bettissb40, Oct 24, 2017.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

When you are middle of the pack or worse year in and year out you are failing.

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Lol. We need a PFF analysis of TSF, clearly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

glory days, how do you explain AV going from DE to being a starter at LT? how about hubbard playing LT throughout college and being taught the center, guard and tackle position? how about the turn around of gilbert since munchak was brought in to coach the line? they got taught how to run the zone blocking scheme by him. the wr position making strides since mann was brought in to coach them? the DB's that MT had to start to teach the cover 2 to 3 years ago during camp. last year our man to man skills that we couldn't even run enough of during the championship game and throughout the season? this year they made the effort to coach them into more man coverages. the two rookies that started for us as DB's? you think they were not coached for their deficiencies? how about the qb's? LJ nor dobbs has taken many snaps under center until they got here. coaches coach these guys in every aspect of their game. they don't come into the league ready to go like you say. the coaches are much more than player managers, so again i call nonsense on your assessment. :cool:

4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

Look at this list and look at the mobility of the QB'S . The top 5 all have very mobile QB'S. This supports what I have been saying. The premise is you can't play 10 on 11 in the Red zone or on short yardage . Teams use the mobility of the QB to open up more running lanes, They use the run threat of the QB to open up passing windows.

When you combine those things then the Play Action pass becomes a true weapon .The reason is simple because now u have guys 1 on 1 and having to guess what type of play and also guess where the play is going.

Against Ben they have a extra Defender they can commit to the run or the pass before the Team even lines up. They also can set up the stunts,slants,and blitzes because the non mobile QB is not going to the edge to hand it or to throw it . This leaves you very limited in play calls and forces almost flawless execution for the play to work.

More proof is we have a better OL than all those top 5 . We have a better RB than any of those . We have a better WR than all of those.

Way to predictable . The main reason is the QB.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    It's just Ben. Haley sure doesn't help. Lets look at the red zone scoring TD percentage ranks(phew) throughout ben's years.

30th this year

Averages to 14.84 and if you tally this season it averages to 15.92 ranking for Ben's career

Average Red zone Ben is just average red zone ben lol.

Bettis, Heath, Ben's ability to sneak/scramble, hines, and -haley would make ben jump to top 10 I bet.

6. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    When a 15% difference separates the top half of the league and a 30% difference separates the bottom half, those on the bubble like the Steelers are not failing. Would I prefer to convert more? Obviously. But I'm not going to call a conversion percentage far closer to the top than the bottom a failure.

7. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Take your numbers and show top and bottom percentages, not where we fall in a numerical ranking. When you use a percentage based model, the numerical rankings are misleading.

• Like Like x 1
  8. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    It's not misleading our lack of winning Important games, games to inferior teams, playoff seeding etc is direct result of our failure to score in the redzone. With Ben as qb we settle for field goals far too often. It's a trend that's been going on for over a decade. It happened under cowher, tomlin, whisenhunt, arians, Haley...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    You're probably right. Looking back, it was our red zone ineficiency that allowed Chicago's no name backs to rush for over 200 yards against us. And that darned red zone ineficiency tipped 2 passes that turned into picks and caused Ben to throw 3 others (outside the red zone, btw).

Yeah, you showed me the light. I see everything so much clearer now.

10. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Way to go strawman

By the way chicago's no name back as you called him rushed for 1300+ last year averaging 5.2 ypc. FYI that was second in the NFL.

11. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Ben not being mobile is it. The last few years he has slowed and this is more obvious. Play Dobbs in Red Zone.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  12. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Countless studies have shown you can take an athlete with no formal football experience through adolescence and plug him into a high school program. He will pick up the sport within a very short period of time. Athletes with no football experience walk on to college teams every year and are able to pick up the game and play at a high level. It's more about athletics, slow/fast twitch muscle makeup, genetics, etc.

The "coaching" you talk about isn't to teach them to transition from back pedaling to running forward or to high point a pass. Those things are dealt with in repetitive drills as they have already been taught fundamentals. They are being coached to execute as a unit. They are being coached to understand what is expected of them on each play and to react situationally. The fundamentals and specifics of their positions are reinforced through drills and repetition.

They don't come in ready to go? Explain the combine. Their abilities are put on display to see how ready they are physically. Tests are given to see how ready they are mentally. If they prove that they have the potential to adapt and improve to the professional level, then they are worthy of the investment.

You can call it nonsense if you like. I don't mind.

13. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Howard rushed for
    52 yards - Week 1
    7 yards - Week 2
    140 yards - Week 3 Steelers (Cohen 78 yards)
    53 yards - Week 4
    76 yards - Week 5
    167 yards - Week 6
    65 Yards - Week 7

How could I forget a prolific back like that? He's lighting up the league for sure!!

14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  15. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Correlation is not causation. Your list shows a number of teams with mobile QBs in the bottom half of the league, most notably Seattle at #26 and Carolina #28.

Again, it comes down to playcalling and execution. Ben may well be responsible for some of the struggles through bad reads, throws, etc., but nothing in what you've provided makes a case for Ben being the "main reason", you're just cherry-picking correlating factors.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

sorry but your wrong. :cool:

17. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    But I thought if you were a mobile QB magic happens?!?!?!

18. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    There was a post/discussion not too long ago about personnel that was responsible for scouting, puting together some type of scheme in coordination with the O and D coordinators.

Issues that our personnel had little experience and we had not filled those positions for a few years.

I’m sure I’m off on the above specifics, and if someone could help clarify what I might be recalling....this could also be part of the issue....weaknesses, tendencies, mismatches.

Thanks for the feedback

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Countless? Some how I doubt that. I find it hard to believe that the findings would be important enough to validate having even 1 study let alone countless. And walking on at the HS and college level doesnt equate to being able to do it at the pro level. The degree of difficulty is night and day.

The combine is a perfect example of why athletics is NOT enough. Every year workout warriors at the combine fail at the pro level. More than any sport, coaching in football is vital for players to succeed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    That rehashes a lot of the same... Rebirths the notion that the team doesn't game plan, or if it does based off of scouts then the scouts aren't doing they're job etc... Current flavor is putting it on Ben or Haley their packages called or their audibles called on and on.

Lots of valid points and opinions coupled with a good amount of headscrratching solutions to boot.

Is it him or him or him... Scout, coach, coordinator, player? The playbook, the personnel, the predictability, the lack of execution, the locker room drama, the inability to adjust, the value of personnel's personal stats?

Any one thing, all of one thing, a little of some or more of other or not enough of any of it?

Too many variables to address all of it whilst questioning all of it... And not enough insider info to merit any of it.

That said... Keep the W's coming... Team still has it whatever it is or is not!

But on a personal note, I would like to see a little more creativity on the O's side of the ball hahahahahah

• Informative Informative x 1
  21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    that was me talking about our quality control coaches. at least that was what they were formerly called here. could have some to do with it but we also had them years ago and still had some of this problem. as dobbler said it's a lot of things. we can look back to PWP's highlighted post and look at the prior years even before haley. https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

one common thread is qb play. sure there were a couple of good years but for the most part average. you can also look at other teams like say the patriots and see a whole different consistency. windows get tighter down there and ben has never been a pinpoint, timing throw, throw a receiver open type of qb. ben is and has always been a gunslinger type. i'm not saying that is bad but it has it's limitations too in certain area's. we sure don't help that in clearing the backfield out and letting the defense not have to account for a run. :cool:

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Just watched Ryan Mallet come in cold for Flacco and hand off a couple times from inside the 10. He's not a particularly mobile qb, and he didn't have to be when a nicely designed play action from the two opened up an easy touchdown pass.

That wasn't the qb who made that play. It was simply drawn up well and applied at the right time with good execution.

Ben isn't the problem in the red zone any more than Mallet was solely responsible for the success of that play.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    You're probably right. You can't spell, but you're probably right.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  24. Mr F

Mr F Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2016
    You may as well start your post, "Here comes some stuff I just made up"

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  25. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Why? I didn't make anything up. I shouldn't have said "countless" however. I have absolutely no idea the actual number.