1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think of my roster?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel1031, Feb 19, 2012.

1. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I have a cowboy fan in my family and he is about the dumbest thing I have ever been around. we got into a debate on which team has the best players. he said the cowboys have always had better players. to make a long story short we decided to come up with an all-time roster 11 on offense and 11 on defense they have to play the position u put them in. so I came up with this tell me what you all think.

qb- terry bradshaw
    rb- franco harris
    rb- john henry johnson
    wr- john stallworth
    wr- hines ward
    te- heath miller
    lt- jon kolb
    lg- alan faneca
    c- mike webster
    rg- sam davis
    rt- tunch ilkin

I went with a 3-4 since that is what we play now and this was hard

de- joe greene
    dt- ernie stauter
    de- ernie holmes
    rolb- jack lambert
    rilb-levon kirkland
    lilb- jack ham
    lolb- james harrison
    cb - mel blount
    cb- jack butler ( i know, but since inducted i have seen footage on him and he was good)
    s- troy polamalu
    s- donnie shell

2. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  3. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    No. I think the two I picked are better. I think I would even take rocky over jerome, but you think jerome is better than johnson? or are you saying he is better than both?

4. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I would vote for the Bus over both.

5. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I know they played in a 4-3, but I would have thought Lambert would fit better at ILB and Ham at OLB. No? Good list. It was the right move to put in Harrison, although I like him on the right side.

6. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    NIce list. I would have the Bus in though. I would also have kept the defence at the 4-3, which means no Harrison.

7. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I would take L. C. Greenwood as the other DE, Ernie Holmes was a D-Tackle.

8. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought about greenwood but I liked holmes more i guess. I just went with the 3-4 because it is what we play now. Why all the love for jerome. do people really think he is better than franco?

9. beastlyqb7

beastlyqb7 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    qb- terry bradshaw
    rb- franco harris
    rb- jerome bettis
    wr- lynn swann
    wr- Mike Wallace
    te- heath miller
    lt- jon kolb
    lg- alan faneca
    c- mike webster
    rg- sam davis
    rt- tunch ilkin

de- joe greene
    dt- ernie stauter
    de- LC Greenwood
    rolb- jack lambert
    rilb-levon kirkland
    lilb- jack ham
    lolb- james harrison
    cb - mel blount
    cb- rod woodson
    s- troy polamalu
    s- donnie shell

10. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011

I am sorry but there is no way wallace is close. stallworth, hines, lipps, thigpen, and maybe even antonio brown are better. I dont disagree with any others. maybe jerome. I would still like to know why people think he was so good. I like jerome but he is not as good as franco or rocky

11. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree with you, there's no way Wallace is on that list at all. His only threat is as a deep speed receiver, mediocre at best in every other aspect of the game. Antonio Brown is without a doubt a better receiver, he's made a lot more athletic catches IMO.

12. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    i think you should put your family member's cowboys roster up for comparison (i'd really be interested in the staubach/aikman debate).

what do i think of your roster? i think you should go three wide and lose the tight end. :hehehe:

the only changes i would make on offense:
    *i'd put either bennie cunningham (2 super bowls) or elbie nickel (3 pro bowls) ahead of heath.
    *although john henry johnson went to my college, and i'm quite partial to him, i'd go with franco/bus in the backfield.
    *only 2 wr's is tough. pure numbers, you'd have it right. but anybody who saw swann play will tell you he's the greatest wr to ever don the black and gold.

the defensive changes:
    *BECAUSE you went with a 3-4, i'd replace ernie holmes with aaron smith. it's hard to imagine a better DE in league history on the right side of a 3-4 line. i'd probably play joe greene as the nose tackle, smith on the right, and stautner on the left. they'd probably give up about four rushing yards a game.
    *lambert wouldn't be an OLB. he'd be an ILB. ham would be the other.
    *OLB's would be a tough call. i'd probably go with james harrison and l.c. greenwood. greg lloyd, in his prime, would be hard to leave off the list (but he jumped offsides too many damn times).
    *you're gonna have a hard time convincing people to leave woodson off this list in favor of jack butler.

13. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    Heath has two super bowls as well. I have to admit I did not pay to much attention to the exact positions. The was just trying to get names. I like swann, and but always liked john better. I don't have his team yet but I can tell you it will be rodger. he thinks he is the best in history. As soon as I get it I will post it

14. grahamburgher

grahamburgher Active Member

Nov 9, 2011
    You have to have Dirt on the O-line. I loved Sam Davis, but that's probably where I'd put Dawson.

15. NecessaryRoughness

NecessaryRoughness Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    You have to win a Super Bowl (not necessarily as a Steeler) to get on my list.

My offense uses a spread-ish formation (3WR, 1TE, 1RB) as the base, though we have no problem with hitting people (hence a blocking FB).

QB: Terry
    RB1: Franco
    RB2: Jerome
    FB: Dan
    TE: Heath
    WR1: Hines
    WR2: John
    WR3: Lynn
    WR4 (for depth): Santonio [Seriously...dude's a player, and he was a major part of the greatest offensive play in team history.]

I can't say much about the line, but I'd have Mike at center, Alan at one of the guard positions, and Dirt at the other. I haven't a clue about our tackles. Do we go with Marvel Smith and Max Starks?

The defense happily switches between 3-4 and 4-3 fronts, with the back 4 remaining constant.

CB1: Mel
    CB2: Rod
    SS: Duh...
    FS: Donnie

4-3:
    DT1: Joe
    DT2: Aaron
    DE1: LC
    DE2: LaMarr*

3-4:
    NT: Casey
    DE1: Joe
    DE2: Aaron
    OLB1: James
    OLB2: Joey**
    ILB1: Jack
    ILB2: Jack

*Why not? He planed DE in college.

**Kevin Greene was a tempting choice. However, he didn't win a Super Bowl until he was a coach, and he did so as the LBs coach for that Packers team that beat us, so...And Greg turned out to be a schmuck who pulled a gun on his kid, so he could have won 10 rings and not gotten on my list

I like the fact that my exclusive use of first names will not cause any confusion.

16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Pretty nice list ,but as a Coach I guess I would move a few positions.....I would have to take Swann over Ward...I would also take the Bus instead of Johnson......

As far as the OL goes I guess this mind sound crazy,but I assume we are talking about players and how they play at full strength.....So I would have to get Pouncey and Dawson on that OL....I believe Pouncey would be great at RG if he had more experince so I would insert him there ,I also think Dawson could play RT at a high level with some time.....So with that backfield and that OL I would have one hell of a pulling traping running game IMO......I will look at the D later LOL...

17. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    i would find a spot on my d-line for keith willis

18. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It's a tricky one, doing all-time teams - I always think that Louis Lipps doesn't get the recognition he deserves because he played through all the "bad" years, but still put up tremendous numbers, and was lethal in KR, for a good number of seasons. Likewise players like Merriweather. It's what makes comparison so difficult.

19. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    I cant move dirt. they have to play the position that they played. he was a center so I went with webster. the formation we set up was 2 backs 2 wr, and a te. and we went with the current defensive system. so I was limited.

20. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, I think some of the alternative rosters here might be missing the original point, that you were meant to be going toe-to-toe with the Cowboys position by position. So saying "ah well, we could play Dawson at T, and Lipps at TE, and Roethlisberger at FS" would rather miss the fun of the game.

Do you have a copy of the Cowboys roster your friend came up with?

21. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Really? Why?

22. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    Ok I have his list. I have to say the cowboys have had some great players, but see how we match up. for the record he was impressed with the steelers too.

steelers cowboys
    qb bradshaw -- staubach
    rb harris -- emmitt smith
    rb Johnson -- dorsett
    wr stallworth -- Irvin
    wr hines -- bob hayes
    te Miller -- Novachek
    lt Kolb -- rayfield wright
    lg faneca -- nate newton
    c webster -- mark stepnoski
    rg sam davis -- larry allen
    rt tunch ilkin -- erik williams

he went with a 4-3 for the cowboys

de greene -- ed jones
    dt stautner -- randy white
    de holmes -- charles haley
    - bob lilly
    olb lambert -- thomas henderson
    ilb ham
    ilb kirkland -- ken norton
    olb james harrison -- chuck howley
    cb mel blount -- deion sanders
    cb jack butler -- everson walls
    s polamalu -- darren woodson
    s shell -- charlie waters

he thinks that the cowboys have better players. I know with different era's its hard to argue, but I like the steelers. we have 11 hall of famers are maybe one or two that will make it. the boys have 13 according to him I have not checked.

23. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Interesting exercise. I realize that you had to set it up with a system to compare from, my only argument to your buddy would be to let each position have a backup listed. For example, Mike Webster backed up by Dirt Dawson or Stallworth and Ward backed up by Swann etc. I really believe that the consistency of the Steelers over the last forty years would make them a clear winner in this scenario.

24. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    *i would take bradshaw over staubach (and, head-to-head, well . . . bradshaw owned it).
    *i would take the dallas rb's. it's a little hard to argue against the nfl's all-time leading rusher (although, i would take about ten other rb's in nfl history prior to taking emmit running behind that tremendous o-line in that nicely balanced offense: payton, sanders, j brown and maybe even campbell, sayers, dickerson, o.j. simpson, and some others who played in systems with no passing game).
    *i would take stallworth, swann, and hines over irvin, hayes, and pearson(?).
    *both teams were lacking at tight end. dallas's greatest tight end was jay novacek? hmm . . . i'd call it a wash.
    *interesting that our o-line was most veterans and dallas's o-line was mostly from the 90's team. or maybe your family member is a younger fan who doesn't remember/know about the older linemen. off of that list, i'd go with our o-line as larry allen is the only one who really stands out to me as a star.
    *our d-line is better.
    *our linebackers are better BY FAR.
    *cb's are close (with deion being considered the best cover corner of all time) but everson walls fails to allow it to be a contest. blount/woodson or butler as a tandem rock deion and anybody else the cowboys can throw out there.
    *we own the safety spot too.
    another thing i'd like to mention is that all of our players made their names as steelers and steelers only. i think of jay novacek as a cardinal, charles haley as a niner, deion as a cowboy, falcon, and niner, ken norton as a niner/cowboy . . . that doesn't really hold true for the steelers players on your list (other than maybe john henry johnson).

25. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    No Rod Woodson?

Blasphemy