1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you all think of Bell not getting long term deal????

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Dustin, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    James Conner is Bell's replacement. Bell already said this should be his last year with the Steelers. Toodles I guess

• Like Like x 1
  2. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    It wasn't until Week 7 last year that Bell was the #1 rusher on his own team!

• Like Like x 1
  3. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Touissaint --- 0 attempts for 0 yards
    D. Johnson --- 0 attempts for 0 yards
    Nix --- 0 attempts for 0 yards

I still think a RB that hits the hole fast is a better change of pace RB to Bell than a slow bruiser.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No he wouldn't, Bo only played half a season because of his baseball career.

5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Bell is a idiot, thinking he was going to get more money from the Steelers because he considered himself the 2nd WR on the team. This year they won't need him to catch 75 passes, so his argument is crap with Bryant back and JuJu on the team I expect Bell catches to be cut in half. Bell wants to reset the market for RBs, well he can go do that for another team. I'm sure one of those losing teams will overpay for him, maybe a team like San Francisco.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah Barkley is a first rounder, I don't see the Steelers using a first round pick on a RB.

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Sure, DWill just isn't that back anymore
    Did he really say this? Link?

8. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    It was in the post gazette I will see if I can find it

9. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Bell getting $12 Mill this season and the next highest RB getting $8 Mill...is he really that much above the next best RB? Several fantasy football magazines I've read don't think so. They don't have Bell as the #1 RB. They have David Johnson of the Cardinals.
    I really like Bell's talent. I'm glad he's a Steeler. I love watching him play and he does wonders for the team. We are a Super Bowl team with him. But I'm starting to think he believes he really is worth $15 million per year like he rapped not long ago. Geez.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    OK I read it last week. Someone else here may remember where it was.

11. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I stick with my answer. May have been on snap chat so someone here may be able to vet me.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Ok.... Prime Time made a good point. I had a video posted from total access, but video was skipping and doing weird things...so I deleted it.But, prime time stated that Ben doesnt and hasnt played a full season in awhile and that Ben suffered injuries but still got paid. Pay All 3 B's....you got 2 locked up...so go ahead and pay the 3rd. If you plan on beating the patsies

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Good point. Average little more than half a season but still a lot of missed games. We'll never know though, may have ended up choosing football full time.

Still the best RB I ever saw.

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    how are we a SB team with him? we don't know that. we have never been to one with him. we certainly should be but that hasn't happened yet. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    With his desire to get paid big money and his health concerns the Team should not tag him again after this year ....I would consider trade offers if we had a more proven option to replace him with...So really no way to trade him this season , but I would want to next season ....Mac was joking about trading it all away to beef up the D well not yet , but if Ben retires and Bell still wants that huge money I see no reason not to trade Bell for a key piece on the Defensive side...

We will need to change our approach after Ben is gone probably to a more ground and pound with the passing game working on shorter patterns bigger WR'S and TE types and let our D lead the way...

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    if we trade bell after ben retires it would be to get a qb. we already have big wr's and TE's. we have a running game with our line. we need a safety after this year and then maybe, maybe a corner and that depends on how cockrell and the gang take to coaching and youngster progression.

we are not near as far off as you think on defense PWP. i think a mitchell replacement with a ball hawking safety would do wonders. troy gave qb's fits and gave our rush that extra time to get pressure in his hay day because they didn't know where he was or was going. we don't have that with mitchell, we are more of a conventional backend at the moment. good vet qb's can read that easily so we have to do other things to get that extra second our rush needs. :cool:

17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  18. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Need a better D to beat the patsies. Or more aptly, a better D scheme and gameplan. Our D just seems to play their worst football against NE.

19. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Bell is Mike Wallace in RB form. I'm so over him. Maybe some desperately bad team offers him more than the Steelers and they won't match and the Steelers get draft picks out of it.

20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't think we are way off ,but at least 2 players off on Defense..I would prefer 3 . I agree with a ball hawking Safety for Mitchell.I also think Ross would be better in Gays spot ..It would also be better to have a better man CB than Burns IMO and let Burns be the # 2 ...The 3rd. spot on D that I would like is another situational pass rusher up front ..A wild card type who could play the entire front who is great at rushing the passer ..

I could see a D like that as elite and could play many more multiple concepts and could be capable of holding even elite O'S to around 20 points ...

21. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

He did nothing of the sort.

22. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Mike wallace was a one trick pony and Ben made him great all the while getting sack and injured an record number of times.
    Bell, is a once in a long time type of back. He can do everything. You definitely have to game plan for him.
    The contract should state 10mil as a rb and 3 mil for everything else...lol...
    But, let's be honest, everybody deep down inside knew that he wanted 15mil....and maybe deserve it
    And everyone, also knew, that the steelers weren't gonna pay him 15mil a year... they don't operate like that...

23. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Why would Bell sign a deal for 12mil/yr if he's guaranteed 12mil+ this year from the tag? Do we know the guaranteed money in the deal? Because that matters too. He's betting on himself and I don't blame him one bit. This is his only leverage and we can't get upset by him using it....I wouldn't have signed that 5yr/60mil deal either. If he balls out this year he will either sign a bigger contract that that or he will get tagged again for like 14mil. I think (and honestly really hope) that we will eventually work something out next year for Bell. He is truly an elite talent that we wont likely come by again for a while.

I get it from the Steelers perspective too (injuries, suspensions, etc.) but the tag is the Steelers only leverage. After this season the ball is in Bell's court, and losing him would be a major loss for this team.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I would think the guarantee money would have been around this year and next years tag. If thats the case, he should have signed but I don't think that was the hold up, think he's being greedy and wants 15 million a year.

They'll tag him again next year and then it will be life without Bell as a Steeler. I no longer have hope they can work out a deal.

And if Connor surfaces as a legit back, this could even be Bells last year.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    they offered him more than he would have made on the two year tag sg. if he gets hurt he makes 12.1 this year and then thats it. nothing else is a guarantee past this year for him. :cool: