1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you all think of Bell not getting long term deal????

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Dustin, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

NFL Football operations:
    Nov. 14 At 4:00 p.m., New York time, signing period ends for Franchise Players who are eligible to receive Offer Sheets.

Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for Clubs to sign their unsigned Franchise and Transition Players, including Franchise Players who were eligible to receive Offer Sheets until this date. If still unsigned after this date, such players are prohibited from playing in NFL in 2017.

2. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Who cares if he got a long term deal or not, just show up for 16 games this season and bring it in the playoffs and back up this bold prediction:

NFL COM:
    Pittsburgh Steelers: Le'Veon Bell plays all 16 games (gulp), leads league in yards from scrimmage.

Steelers fans must be thinking what if regarding the last three postseasons. Le'Veon Bell's injury in Week 17 of the 2014 season derailed a red-hot Steelers team ready to make its move. In 2015, Bell missed more than half the season, while the rest of Pittsburgh's walking wounded made a valiant effort to make it to the Divisional Round. Then last year, with a Super Bowl berth at stake, Bell couldn't get through the first half of the AFC Championship Game in Foxborough before getting hurt. I think the Steelers will look to reduce Bell's workload a bit in an effort to keep him fresh. He's not 22 anymore, after all, but rather a 25-year-old star still looking for a long-term deal. He'll put 16 games and 360 touches on his resume this season.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I wasn't able to get a raise via rapping, but then I tried again using death metal growling - boom! Raise!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    No. All contracts are paid 1/16 each week. (Might be 17 now) Other than missing a game because of injury, you get paid for games eligiable to play. Suspended, retired, or not under contract, no check.

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Saquan is a top 10 talent though.

Are you sure we can get him given our current safety and possible upcoming corner situation heading into 2018?

6. Brews Crew

Brews Crew Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I think the Steelers did the right thing and Bell just better hope Vontaze Burfict doesn't blow his knee out again or the only thing he'll be re-setting are the disability rates for running backs.

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I thibk the Steelers have a lot more to worry about than someone like Vontez Burfict.

If anything, Pittsburgh should be worries about getting throughout not just training camp but the pre season as healthy as they can.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The title of this thread should be corrected by changing the word "getting" to "accepting". That is what it is. Let's be accurate.

The word "a" after it might be appropriate, but I have absolutely no room to be correcting grammar, n' at.

9. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    The Steelers bungled this signing. The Steelers don't sign big name free agents so we must sign the one or two starters we get from each draft that complete their rookie contract. To save money we must sign them when we have the most leverage. With Bell that was when he was suspended. The benefit is a much much cheaper Bell, and the disadvantages of risking him getting caught with dope again are still there now as they were back then. If we were wrong, we'd get a third round compensatory pick when he leaves. If we were right we'd have an elite talent signed for years.
    The Steelers lost all leverage when they franchised him. Now Bell gets the most no matter what. There is no scenario where franchising him for two years is cheaper than signing him to a long term contract is.
    I'm really glad we have Bell. I like him and we need his elite talent. But we waited until he cost the most to pay him. Now it's possible that Bell will make it impossible to re-sign Tuitt and Shazier to second contracts. Lose them like we did Wallace, Keenan Lewis, etc.
    The only possibility that takes the blame off the Steeler management is if Bell was asking crazy guarantee money and not signing. And that's possible. I heard Bell and the Steelers were talking $14 million for this year but the deal fell thru over guaranteed money. Keep in mind---the Redskins are screwing up by franchising Kirk Cousins twice. We're headed that way with Bell.
    Be careful, Colbert, the Chiefs fired their GM for waiting too long to sign two recent valuable players who left in free agency.
    Bell's agent very obviously is leveraging Ben's short window left to get more money for Bell in Ben's remaining year or two, knowing we need Bell too to win the Super Bowl.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  10. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Tomlin doesn't realize that the change-of-pace RB for Bell isn't someone slower (Conner) but someone faster (DeAngelo Williams). Did you see the gains DWill got against the Pats in the AFC Championship game? It's because they were prepared for someone hitting the hole slower like Bell. And when DWill hit it and was gone, he got good gains. Tomlin doesn't get it.

11. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Just to clarify this, I think the player's year salary is guaranteed at the start of the season. I think if the Steelers cut a guy after the first game, the guy still gets his year's salary.

http://www.denverpost.com/2010/08/09/nfl-players-base-salaries-rarely-guaranteed/

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  12. Diamond

May 26, 2012
  13. funkysteelersfan

funkysteelersfan Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Don't forget to also blame the viking's for the Adrian Peterson contract. Without that, the franchise tag would've been below 10 million

14. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Well, the Steelers are always low on the guaranteed monies but good on the overall. That's what allows them to compete in this league with the big markets. If they weren't the Rooneys would have been gone years ago. I would have liked to have seen them sign him earlier but that's not their MO. He's worth the money just not to have him appear against us so the tag will stick this year and next ? Well, it's bad because they're not going to want to give him 14 plus after a 12 mil hit and he'll want more on the guaranteed.

Bottom\line we have him the next two if we want him but the pain level increases drastically next year. Our Steelers will let a MVP walk if they don't like your ways. We all know that.

15. Steelers Sideline

Steelers Sideline Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    I think he will get a deal after this season. Hopefully he has a great season and stays healthy and out of trouble. I think the steelers want him to prove he can stay healthy and out of trouble a full season.

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
  17. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    The only recent one that had good mid-career stats and played hurt every game was Bettis.

I think they did an article where he said he couldn't walk the next day and worked his way back into the grove by gameday, just so he could flack jacket up and slam into the line again with separated cartilage. Not to mention he played his career with asthma!

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    or bell could be pissed and play not to get hurt and not give his all. we also have an increased wr presence that we didn't have last year which could limit his usage. thus again making him pissed and not give his all for this team. time will tell. :cool:

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont see that happening, Mac. Bell has been selfish off the field but he's a hard worker on the field. I think he's too much of a competitor to not give 100%

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Not gonna hurt my feelings if they reduce his output now that Bryant's back... Hell he might even make it to the finish line.

21. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Honestly, I'll be surprised if Bryant makes it to the finish line. Maybe he will but I just am not totally convinced when it comes to him. I saw a story a week or so ago where he was saying how it ticked him off that Ben criticized him in the media and he wants to talk to him "man to man" because Ben didn't realize what he had been going through in his personal life. Sounds to me like he was making excuses when he made a comment like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    no i hope not as well but when feelings get hurt things can change. :cool:

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    For the most part, I think this is it, but the Steelers still are not going to give any more up front money than they just did.

24. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Williams --- 14 attempts for 34 yards against the Pats.

25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Sounds like he is going to use it as motivation according to his comment after the deadline passed. Said "I guess I have to get better"

Bell better then he already is...scary :eek: