1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you all think of Bell not getting long term deal????

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Dustin, Jul 18, 2017.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Blame the NFL PA for this current endeavor.

Only hope we can have is if the PA has learned their lesson and will not repeat history.

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ultimately, the Steelers made 2 fair offers: The tag, and a longer term deal. Bell picked the one that suits him best. That's business. Both sides seem positive. I'm good with that.

3. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Bell hasn't not played an entire season yet. Whether it's injury or suspension. 49 out of 70 possible games. 50 if you count the AFCCG. Best ability is availability. And as talented as he is, he has not shown that he can play an entire season.

4. Harryo the K

Harryo the K Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
    NFL players want to get the greatest amount of money they can in their brief careers. Thus Super Bowl MVPs end up signing with the Jaguars, etc. Other than the quarterback position, good teams have factored this in. NE lets Blount go, Minn lets Peterson go, you get replacements. Keep your OL and DL in contracts.
    As Vince Lombardi noted,"This game is simple. It's ablout blocking and tackling."

5. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Adrian
    Peterson was there to help the vikings try to break in a QB and the Vikings never have broke a QB in

6. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I think it's a bold move by Bell, but after looking at his twitter feed.... the number of "retweets" he makes of other people saying he's the greatest RB in the NFL..... I'm thinking he's been drinking the kool-aid. It's rare for an NFL RB to have a career into his 30's, so while he may think 12m per year is low NOW, once he his his "senior" years as a RB he'll likely be under performing. It's just too physically demanding of a position to be effective long term anymore. I think he made a poor decision and he should have signed the deal, guaranteed money or not it's 5 years potential at the current franchise tag rate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Not sure the Ravens or Bengals would pay much more then the Steelers offered. And surely not a long term guaranteed money that he wants.

8. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Maybe my perspective is skewed, but it seems like players get hurt more frequently and more seriously than a decade or two ago. Players on both sides of the ball keep getting bigger and faster. I can't blame Bell for wanting to make sure he banks his cash now.

What examples are there of really good running backs who have their productivity (or even careers) cut short by injury? Is it that common?

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They would in a heartbeat. You guys know what FA is like and how much teams pay for star players. Harbaugh would love to get him, they have no running game.

10. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Actually I read today that the rats running game is SO bad that NFL.COM is predicting that Flacco will lead the AFC in passing just because he doesn't have anyone that he can hand the ball to.

11. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Bo Jackson had his career cut short by injuries and he's one of the greatest all around athletes to ever live. Steven Jackson had his career not necessarily cut short but it was plagued by a lot of injuries. I've often also wondered how good Willis McGahee could have really been if he hadn't had that nasty injury in college. Franco actually feared that taking too many hits would end his career earlier than he would have liked and that's why he said he would often run out of bounds to avoid more punishment than he felt necessary.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Terrell Davis

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If the Steelers tag Bell again for 2018, then they have a 2 year window to win a SB with Bell and Bryant still on the team. Or they could draft Bell's replacement at RB Penn State's Saquan Barkley.

14. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He may want to but I'm betting the first few reports that come out of the first week of camp about how well Conner is adjusting and maybe a preseason game where he shows his stuff and Bell will show up ready to work. He is too competitive to let the local boy, hometown hero, feel good story of the year take his team away from him

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm thinking losing out on 12 million will get him to report before anything else.

These guys who try to hold out have no leverage, he'd just be pissing into the wind.

I however don't expect him to sign until right before the season starts. He won't show for camp and under the circumstances, there's really no reason to risk getting injured with his current contract situation.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I truly believe Bo would have been the best RB ever and would hold every record had he not destroyed his hips.

Shame that happened.

18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What's the new time frame for signing the tender? I never get into that side of the business so could he potentially sit out half the season and then sign and still get the 12 million?

19. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    So, apparently, Bell wants #1 rb money and #2 wr into one contract. Well, that may have been the case last season. But, this coming season, we have a #2,3and 4 wr. So, stick with the rb's money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If the stories I am reading are true, looks like Le'vean Bell will be taking his talents
    somewhere else. I think his agent has given him bad advice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This this and this

Even if he shows for camp, he would be used sparingly for preseason games.

If it was me, I'd show up just early enough to get my timing down.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Not for 2017. And he will only be taking his talents somewhere else for 2018 if the Steelers say so.

23. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think once the season begins, it starts cutting into that 12 million every game he misses. I can't imagine he could sit out half the year and then sign his tender and get the full 12 mil. The Steelers could also pull it any time they want, so the risk is really not worth taking for Bell.

25. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    If I remember right, he could hold out until week 10 before signing. But I'm not sure if he loses out on the pro-rated portion of the franchise pay or not. Seems again like a risky move to hold out into the season, as there's no chance to negotiate a new contract until the end of the regular season anyway. I'd agree, I'd think he would hold out during camp but show up for game 1.

Hybrid back or not, if we are without Bell, Ben, AB and MB will just step their games and stats while racking up wins, and Bell would lose leverage if he held out during the season and we were successful.

Going back and looking at our schedule, we could easily be 6-3, 7-2, or 8-1 by the end of week 10. That'd be a tough position for bell to be in for negotiating if he held out that long.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017