1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you all think of Bell not getting long term deal????

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Dustin, Jul 18, 2017.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Absolutely.

2. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I'm sorry but you're wrong. In 2008 Ben was not only highest paid QB but highest paid player at 27.7 mil. In 2015 his contract extension set a new precedent among NFL QB.

On July 23 2007 the Steelers have Troy a Contract that made him the highest paid safety in the League.

AB's new contract is another record... This time for WR and it isn't even close. In fact while they made him wait until the end of his existing contract hey did add a few million to it to keep him happy.

Bells new contract offer was in line with what the Steelers DO.... They Pay their Stars!!

I said way back when after they Fran tagged Bell his new contract would start at the tag money..( 12.1/yr ) .... And only go up from there and I was against it then as I am now.

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. The Renegade

The Renegade Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Don't get suspended and show up to play in the AFC title game and then you will get paid. Solved it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    You're confusing "highest paid" and "re-setting the market"

The Franchise tag/12 million... is based on the market. 15 million per... is setting a new market for RBs

Ben's 2008 contract was in line with the marketplace at the time (Peyton, Vick... he actually got less guaranteed than Vick)

ABs contract... sure, he eclipsed Green, Dez and Julio by 2-3 million in per year averages, but he didn't get anywhere near the guaranteed money they got (AB got 19% guaranteed, Julio got 65% guaranteed, Green got 55%, Dez got 55%)

Troy... got the same amount guaranteed that Ed Reed got the year before.

Sorry... you're wrong, but only because you misunderstood my point.

The point is... the Steelers are not the first team to give a QB 100 million. They aren't the first time to give a Safety CB money. They aren't the first team to give WRs 15 million. And they won't be the team to re-set the market for RBs. They operate within the marketplace.

5. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I'm tired of hearing people say the steelers are cheap or don't pay top dollar and with that mindset maybe I did misunderstand your point.....

The Steelers aren't afraid to pay their stars and they do use the market place as a guide and will go above the norm when needed but like in the case of Wallace they won't over pay. AB has proved himself.

I've read Bells contract 1st three years Avg 14 mil ( 42 mil total) and he turned it down because he said he cares about the position and other RB.... He's their martyr and or Savior....

I say Bull..... He wants all he can get for his self !!! Next years tag will be around 14 mil and if he plays solid and stay healthy either the Steelers or another NFL team will pay him his 15 mil desire !!!

I hope he walks next year.... See how good he is behind he Browns or Lions OL!!!

2018 is projected to be a Great RB class

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah, RB's just aren't worth the 15 mil a year. Sorry, but he hasn't played a full year yet and the shelf life of a RB in today's league is 5 years.

He also requires different blocking, which takes time for the O-line to adjust. Just look at the interviews from the Steelers O-line about having to adjust when he isn't the RB!

No team is going to revamp the blocking scheme for a RB in his 5th year already that hasn't completed a season for 15 mill +!

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think that today I didn't make as much as I'm gonna make by Friday. I mean I made some but I didn't make all I'm gonna make. If I keep working I will keep making more. That's what I think of Bell not getting a long term deal.

8. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I think the smartest thing the FO has done in years was when Mike Wallace was trying to get paid and instead they call AB in and give him a really good deal for where he was at the time. Our FO will stand its ground and won't tolerate a bunch of prima donna bullcrap. Which is one of my favorite things about the Steelers actually. I can't imagine being a fan of a team that has a Dan Snyder in their FO.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I like Bell and think he's an elite back. Who were the running backs in the super bowl? I wouldn't call either elite Blount or the kid in Atlanta elite....or transcendent type players. I also seem to remember a 30 something year old running back who ran well behind our line the past two years when Bell was out of the line up. Just like Wallace's success was no doubt a product of playing with a HOF QB. Part of Bell's dominance is due to the fact that he can't be keyed on...even more so with the return of Bryant, plays with a HOF QB and a WR who could be a HOF player when it's said and done. I'm not worried if he leaves. I'd say our window to win now is this year and next. After that I don't want a bunch of money tied up in a player who isn't a quality QB (since Ben will likely be done) or isn't named Antonio Brown (since we've already paid him)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I was hoping Bell would take a good offer by the Steelers but knew from his past actions as well as things he's said that he would be foolish and try and play hardball with the Steelers. He didn't put that 15 million in his song for ****s and giggles, he wants that.

Not sure why Bell thinks he has so much leverage, they can tag him again next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. stangboy06

stangboy06 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Two pot suspensions hasn't finished the season without getting hurt I don't know he's a great running back hope he brings us a Super Bowl this year before he goes to the Broncos

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I think he and his agent have negotiated their way out of town after this season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    That should win me another fantasy football title!

14. B.LaCe

B.LaCe Member

Jun 12, 2017
    The Steelers have a history of NOT giving deals with guaranteed money on par with the rest of the league. Look at AB and Ben's Guaranteed money VS. the rest of the league and its laughable! Probably one of the reasons why the Steeler Players were the only team to turn down the last contract (CBA)... and why Ryan Shazier has been talking about how guaranteed money should be looked at during the next CBA. While its easy for fans to say "He's a fool for not taking the $12M/yr", the guaranteed money was surely the hold up. The Steelers don't typically guarantee money after the first season or two. So Bell's guaranteed money was in the neighborhood of $12-20M I'd guess. That's between 20 to 30% guaranteed... laughable compared to the rest of the league. But when measured against Roethlisberger's 39% and AB's 28%, its on par with what the Steelers do.

If he stays healthy and has a typical Le"veon Bell type year, the tag will pay him that $12M guaranteed. If the Steelers decide to tag him next year, that tag would pay him north of $14M. If they decide to do that, the Steelers are getting around giving him a long term deal, yet paying him the guaranteed money more commensurate with other RBs ($26M would've meant 44% guaranteed, on par with the highest paid backs in the league!) It's a smart move on their part, but they better be willing to deal with answering questions all camp about why Bell isn't there... That will be the next thing the fans are whining about! It's already happening locally here in Pittsburgh, fans calling for the guys head for not signing a deal he didn't feel was worthy of what he brings to the field. It's amazing how fast the fans have turned on him. People forget quickly: look at how this dude carried the team on his back from weeks 11-19 of last season, while Ben was anything but consistent!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Honestly, it is a tragedy for both Bell and Pittsburgh.

I know this pre dates Bell but Article 41 and the NFL Players Association are to blame.

Instances like Le'Veon Bell and Kirk Cousins will continue to happen due to the ignorant and narcissistic views of the NFL PA of 2011 until 2021 when the CBA expires.

Pittsburgh is the only team that said no. That being said though, this does not give Le'Veon Bell an indirect free pass from me. Nevermind his injury history and suspensions, running backs do not last long anyway. Why else was James Conner drafted?

To end my comment, if Le'Veon wants to play the role as savior, so be it. However, I hope he can write the check.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    from what i was reading they offered him more than he would have made guaranteed on two years of the tag. thats why people are turning. he's greedy. so yes he was guaranteed more than a fair amount but it still wasn't good enough for him. while the other players were busting their humps in the opening games the last couple of years bell was sitting around watching. that is not a team player by any means. one player doesn't carry a team. he sure didn't do it alone.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/07/report-steelers-offered-bell-12m-per-30m-next-two-years/

:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    I would say this is all working out in the Steelers favor... IF Bell shows up and plays the next 2 years. Avoiding a long term, cap busting contract at the RB position could be a blessing in disguise. When is the last time a team felt great about the back end of a BIG RB contract?

Although... if Ben retires after 2 years, and Bell walks after 2 years.... :gulp:

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    that will depend on how bell is playing two years down the road. could be time for him to be replaced by then. or at least leaning that way. he is human. lots of wear on him by then. could be another 600-700 touches by then. :cool:

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm disappointed. I wanted Bell here for a long time. Now he's likely gone in 2 more seasons. I differ with most people in that I think he is worth the money. I tire of the "he's just a RB" argument, he's as good as most teams #2 WR for crying to loud.

Mark this down, if he walks after next year, he'll be a Raven or Bengal and torment us for 4 or 5 years. Best we can hope for is Cleveland snatches him :lolol:

20. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    That's my thing I've said about Bell also is the fact that if we are gonna see Ben leave sooner rather than later and are gonna be relying on a young qb then Bell could be even more valuable then than he is now in a sense. If he's still playing great ball teams will absolutely HAVE to account for him and that will take a ton of pressure off of a young qb. I still believe the old adage that a good running game helps a young qb and Bell could be invaluable in that regard. Although I still wouldn't break the bank on a single player just for that. I want him here but I don't want to tie all our money up in one player. Maybe he'll wise up before it's too late.

21. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    If he goes to baltimore/cleveland, right after Ben retires... it will help us get the top 5 pick to replace Ben

• Like Like x 1
  22. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    I wonder what an older, more worn down Bell would look like against 8 man fronts that Ben/AB/WRs have prevented him from EVER having to deal with.... devil's advocate....

I agree overall thought, an elite RB would be a godsend for breaking in a new young QB

23. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Will Bell perform as well on an average or below average OL?? I think are OL makes him look better.. DW looked good too. Lets see how Conner looks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    sure it would help a young qb but bell won't be the last good back ever. we have had some very good ones here. heck if it wasn't for fitz's one fumble we would be saying he's worth keeping too. everyone seems to forget he played well for us. Dwill played well for us. hopefully conner plays well for us. bell has one heck of a line in front of him and some good blocking wr's helping him as well as the wr's keeping the box unloaded. this all works together ya know. :cool:

25. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    He did start and play a full 16 game season in 2014!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017