1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you all think of Bell not getting long term deal????

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Dustin, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    I guess it was a good decision from Bell's perspective if he doesn't get injured/suspended this year. His numbers will be great again if that is the case. If that happens the Steelers will have to offer him even more than they did this year. However, if he ends up sitting for a few games his stock might diminish. Just wondering what you guys think of situation???

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    From what I read he doesn't feel he should allow running back salaries to continue to fall. So he is shooting for the moon. While I sort of understand his position it's also a little shortsighted on his part. It's not out of the realm of possibility that he gets hurt or suspended yet once again. If that's to happen he has only hurt himself. Also from the report I read the Steelers had a very fair offer on the table the sticking point was the guaranteed money. The Steelers have every right and given his track record should limit the amount of guaranteed money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    It's a bad negotiating mix.
    Bell wants to re-set the RB market
    The Steelers consistently keep to their own internal structures.
    They've never let a superstar reset the market... not Ben, not AB, not James, not Troy, never.

And I am ok with that. I think they've worked hard to establish their identity as a franchise. They stuck to their philosophy with AB, no new contracts until the final year of a deal. If they stuck to their guns with AB, they should with Bell.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree. we are not going to be the vikings and hand one guy stupid money to send future contracts out of balance. to me its hard to believe he's for the other rbs in the league. he seems like a me first guy. he proved he's not a team guy by being suspended twice already. i think its lip service. his holdout if he does will hurt team chemistry come camp time and yet again the team will wait on him to get up to speed causing a minor distraction. the drama continues. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    If the rumor is that Bell turned down 5 years/60 million... he's crazy.
    McCoy is the highest paid running back at 5 years/40 million. If Bell got a 50% increase on the league's largest RB contract, and that wasn't good enough... then I see no way they get a deal done in the future.

If the sticking point was guaranteed money within that contract, Bell should've been cognizant of the fact that multiple suspensions and multiple injuries... have a cost.

He better hope he stays clean and healthy... he's put 40-50 million dollars at risk... an ACL tear later in the season, would be financially devastating.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I think Bell wanted that 12Mill more than he wanted that long term contract and thats why his demands were a lot higher than the steelers thought he was worth, see if he can lead the league in rushing this year and then he can ask for that kind of money, and that doesn't even mean he will get it, more likely just another tag, and use the non exclusive tag the next time....

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  7. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    It's simple really.

Bell, with some justification, feels he should get top RB money. He's young, versatile, and given that RBs often fade fast needs to make the most of his time that he's at the top of his position.

The Steelers, with some justification, are reluctant to pay huge money to a guy who been suspended, gets hurt frequently, and aren't going to overpay for an RB in a passing league. Besides they have him for '17 regardless. and they have other players to sign.

Sometimes a deal can't be made. I suspect Bell wanted one more badly than the Steelers. It will be interesting how thing play out. Do the Steelers run his wheels off? Does Bell push to come out, especially late in decided games? Does this cause friction?

If Bell has a so-so year or gets hurt, he probably gone. But I'll ask this. Suppose Bell has a great yr in '17, His demands will be at least as high as now. Do the Steelers sign him up for big money? I think not. Bell may have to be moved either way after next yr.

8. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    That's what I don't understand if I'm him. The Steelers can fanchise tag him every year and still pay close to the 60M/5 yr rate but can drop him at any point.

9. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Wow..its seems to me that Bell hold all the cards to his future. And isn't that what a player want? He has a monster year with no injuries = monster contract. He rolls the dice and get injured or lesser performance = original offer??

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    My guess is that the original offer is now off the table, and the starting point for negotiations will depend on how he does in 2017.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Let's not equivocate, he's a great back. But where was he against the Cheats?

The Steelers are right here, they've offered him $4M a season more for 5 years than any back in the NFL. Bell wants to be paid whether he's smoking weed or not, or hurt or not. The Steelers quite rightly said no.

What Bell has done is accept all the risk on his future, when the Steelers were offering to set him up for life at some risk to themselves as well.

I seem to recall Bo Jackson having his career ended with one innocuous tackle. Bell could have said bye bye to ton of money forever with this decision.

The Steelers are right way more often with personnel and contract decisions than they are wrong, I know that for a fact.

I think he'll regret not signing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah, he holds all the cards but its the organization's deck. Whoa...that was deep! (I just channelled Sacrotes or Elvis or somebody)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Well he could of had 12 a year over 5. Maybe he has smoked so much that he can't do the math anymore. I am going to predict that his offer goes down at the end of the year. We all know he won't play 16 games this year, and I think some of his stats last year had a large part to do with our passing game struggling at times. I do not think that will be the case this year. The ball should be spread out a bit more this year with our depth at receiver.

14. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    I kind of think that they will sign him if he will accept the same next year, but I do not believe they will give him more.

15. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    According to an article on SD bell was offered a contract that paid him 30million over the next two years and 42 million over the next 3 years. Screw leveon bell. Tag him again next year and let someone else shell out too much money for him in 2019. We can use the draft pick on someone else .

16. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    You can only have some many great offensive players and pay them all. This is why the salary cap was put into place in the NFL to make teams equal in the playing field. Going to be hard to keep everybody.

17. fansince40s

fansince40s Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    I agree with some, Bell is a me me type guy but a great back in both running a catching the ball out of the backfield, but he continues to make dumb mistakes and this is just another one. He is not going to change the Steelers way of doing business and if it is true he turned down 6M/5years, another mistake of huge proportions. He is prone to injuries and dope so his career could go down hill fast if he doesn't keep his nose to the grind stone, which seems to be hard to do for him.

• Like Like x 1
  18. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I also agree with most. The Steelers are doing the right thing, and Bell is being a little foolish.

19. Harryo the K

Harryo the K Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Learn from your Enemy. If you wish to defeat him.

Blount, who is coming off the best season of his career, led the NFL with 18 rushing touchdowns, the most in the league since Adrian Peterson’s 18 in 2009. He rushed for 1,161 yards on 299 carries in the regular season.

Allowed to leave. Other top line free agents signed. Move on.

20. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Get tuitt signed now!

21. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont know who to be mad at. The steelers for offering that or him for not taking it. He should have ripped that contract out of their hands and signed it as quick a he could

22. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This will be like the mike wallace case. They will say piss on u and ur deal. We will give that money to tuitt and villenueva. Or i hope they do

23. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I should have included give him 450 carries or so this year as well. Screw him. If he's going to be like that run him until he can't walk anymore. Then throw a few more carries in for good measure.

• Like Like x 1
  24. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I`ll revise my outlook by saying I think Bell is untradeable because no other team will pay him $12 mil or more/year. So, IMO, Bell plays this year, tests the market next year and finds no bidders, then reluctantly signs with us. I just worry about his attitude after that.

25. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    let Conner vulcher his goal line carries :roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1