1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What did we learn this season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Lizard72, Jan 18, 2016.

1. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    We were 6th best special teams in the NFL. Losing Nix definitely hurt the coverage unit, but it's like saying we really suck as throwing the football because of Vick.

Golson is not a ballhawk safety... but he might start in the slot next year.

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Agree on the kicker
    Completely disagree about needing a new punter. Outside of the Denver game he did a very good job. Just look at how many times he pinned teams inside the 20.

We only need a left guard if foster isn't resigned.

Hopefully Wheaton just had a bad day/ case of the nerves

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tangofoxwhiskey

tangofoxwhiskey Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2015
    Are there any stud safeties we have a shot at drafting this year? I doubt we'll have enough cap space to sign one.

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Cody Wallace isn't half the player Pouncey is.
    You could get a dozen good running back's and that is it going to guarantee that they don't fumble.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    What did we learn, well we choked in the playoffs two years in a row......

6. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Jalen Ramsey should go top 5. If I were a GM, and I didnt need a QB, I'd draft him #1 overall... so we don't have a shot at him

I like Darian Thompson out of Boise St. Very rangey true FS type. I see us going much more cover 2, making our safeties a little more interchangeable. And with Mitchell's thumping and tackling, he can play a more SS role when we go cover 3.

In free agency, I'd stay away from a big money deal for older guys like Weddle. The guy I'd like to target is Isa Abdul-Quddus (Detroit FS). He's 26 and IMO fairly underrated.

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Not sure I'd call the Denver game a "choke." Given that with the injuries we had, we barely had an airway in the first place...

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I agree on your disagreement. I think Berry is fine and should only get better.

I'll add these few:

Either Timmons was injured or age is creeping in. A lot of missed tackles. He wasn't his usual self.
    I thought Golden performed well when subbing for an injured Allen. I'm glad I learned he has more to offer than a STs stalwart.
    AV is a stud, he developed by leaps and bounds over the season.
    D Will didn't seem to lose much for his age. Just as he said before the season started.
    Nix might be pushing Will Johnson out the door. And I'm a fan of both. You can never have enough of those guys on your team.
    We need a viable back up at PR.
    The Boz is a keeper.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Everyone is forgetting about his turf toe, guarantee you that was hindering him all year.

Its the injury that ended Jack Lamberts career. Seems like such a silly injury but its incredibly painful, especially trying to play football with it.

10. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    When Ben throws picks, they score a lot of points. When he doesn't, they don't. Weird. Not really weird...they're good at big plays, not small ball...which is why they stink in the red zone...

11. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I think we learned that we didn't learn anything from the previous season.

This team makes the same fundamental mistakes. Poor tackling, 10 yard cushions, losing to inferior teams, terrible discipline at crucial times, not using the check downs and poor ST's except for FG's.

Other than that we're golden!

Now lets draft some decent CB's!!

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This just about sums it up for me also. May I add, We really need to beat the teams we are suppose to.
    And we need better clock managment, situational football decisions and better player development from our coaching staff.
    I learned that Munch is maybe a miracle worker to get out of what he did from this group. That some players did not get a fair shake
    in playing time. See Boykin see, Golden. I think we need to add pieces to this team and we are capable of winning a Superbowl, BARRING INJURIES

13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    True, I think he stepped up in the way a lot of us were hoping towards the end of the year.

I still don't think he's the answer, but made some good plays.

I think something else we learned this year is that learning a new defense - even if it's supposedly a stripped down version of the previous one - takes a bit of time. Many of our losses were down to blown coverages, pure and simple. If Butler/Lake get on top of that, then it's one less stupid to fix.

14. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    And here I thought that it was the copious amounts of alcohol that I was consuming.

15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Only after losses for me for some weird reason. I guess I don't have a drinking problem. It's a Steelers losing problem.:drinks::confused1::hmmm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    :lolol: Blake is a UFA. The worst CB in the league. Hope he has cleaned out his locker and split town.

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    No, it's the Steelers. Keep drinking. That's my plan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Enact Rooney Rule #2:
    "All Steeler players, coaches and personnel MUST check in to TSF website at least 12 times daily to get coached from the most intelligent collective Steeler think tank on the planet". This could have easily produced 4 more victories this past season and we'd be hosting all playoff games at Heinz Field and we'd be well on our way up that stairway to numero XII.

They should do this as religiously as cons go the Drudge Report and libs go to Comedy Central for all their meaningful news. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011

:lolol: Depends on who they listen to. We could have 2 less Super Bowls too.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Fixed it for you. :)

21. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    But Grasshopper, true Nirvana is only realized by channeling the collective mindset of all of life's array of experiences and words of wisdom. Those representing positive results with desired outcomes will become intuitively obvious to the astute. :hmm: (all others will get busted and face 2-4 game suspensions) :facepalm:

22. lamberts lunatic

lamberts lunatic Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    We learned we cant win with our star players out when we need them most. Also we cant win if they score more points than we do. LOL

• Informative Informative x 1
  23. PAOK

PAOK Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Not that this is news to anyone but it is now crystal clear for me the top 3 guys we NEED to replace, preferably with day 1 starters.

1. a no1 CB for Blake
    2. a safety to replace Allen (who isn't talked about as much but IMO is as bad as Blake)
    3. A G to replace Foster.

Easily the 3 worst starters (if not players) on the team.

24. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I learned this weekend Defense wins championships.... Need to get our Defense in order, not sure if we can do it with all of our low round pics.

Hey PAOK, does your handle stand for the soccer club?

25. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Main thing is that next year TV is going to suck out here in LA. Rams on every week and possibly the Chargers if they come over with the Rams. Arrgggh. I'm going to have to stream games more often next year.

Damn these first world problems!!!!!!!!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1