1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What concerns me

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rush2seven, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Over the last few years, the team laid an egg on the field during the first preseason game. Does that matter? Maybe, maybe not.

Certainly, training camp serves to evaluate players. But doesn't it also provide an opportunity to build chemistry between the team members?

Now, they are engaged in a training camp without Bryant on the field and with Bell not even there. How will this impact the chemistry of the offensive unit? Will there be doubt among the other 9 players on the field that those two won't execute the plays when called upon? Could that doubt fester into a lack of chemistry, so needed to be effective in today's NFL? Is the Steelers organization: KC and MT, doing all they can to ameliorate these situations?

Just my ponderings as I sit here on the recliner wishing I was watching the Steelers instead of the NFL network talking about the Cowgirls.

2. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
    While the situation is less than ideal, at least this is still only taking place during training camp and not during the season. If MB gets his situation sorted out and if Bell returns before the start of the season, the team will have lots of time to develop chemistry

3. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Yeah, would certainly be nice to have all hands on deck at least by the time the preseason starts. That, and you've got my vote for best use of the word 'ameliorate' in the offseason....

4. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    Hear me, I pray you, I use it all the time as it's used by Robert E Lee in "Gods and Generals." Just as "now they are engaged in a training camp" is a paraphrase of the Gettysburg Address.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    Add to my original post that Sammie Coates is hurt with his knee and Conner is missing time with his shoulder.

6. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I've never found anybody that knows the Gettysburg Address. Most people just know it's in Pennsylvania but that's painting with a rather broad brush.

7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Well I am sitting here listening to sirius radio and they are talking how much stability we have and how few jobs are up for grabs and how we are so good on the oline and WR. I am not worried about reps I am worried about injuries. PK said it best, our oline is damn good and maybe the best and he talked about how little reps he would give them to make sure they are there for the season. JMO preseason don't mean squat when it comes to win loss. What matters to me is health and seeing if the rookies can develop and be ready if and when they are needed.

8. Harryo the K

Harryo the K Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
    I recall one year when the Jets when 5-0 in preseason. Think they ended up under .500

The preseason means nothing other than depth and rookies and coverages.

Win/loss is not a factor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    Agree, that's why my worries are about chemistry, because my expectations this year are really high

10. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    lol

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup. Wins and losses only matter to the fans. Preseason is all about evaluation.

3rd game is the tune up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    I think many fans, especially TSF fans, care about how the team gets to those wins. Chemistry is a big part of it. Not to mention players being in "football shape" to avoid injuries.

13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I understand what you are saying and I think all matters until it doesn't matter ..What I mean by that is the Staff has to have the pulse of the Team...Where are we weak ? What must we improve on ? How do I get this guy or this unit better ? Must know the pulse of the Team if rest is best then do the rest if not then do what you do or rather what we must do.....

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    What chemistry? The starters barely play during preseason. And how does football shape prevent injuries? Except for maybe pulling hamstrings. Rolling your ankle, a player caving your knee in, dislocating your shoulder, how does football shape prevent that?

Coaches are trying to figure out who make the team and who doesnt. If they happen to win the game, thats a bonus but hardly important.

• Like Like x 1