1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What Changes if any of personnel would you make on defense or offense?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelers5859, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would get Alualu, Fort, Thomas , Hilton, Burnett , Ridley more playing time.
    Yes I know Burnett ,Hilton have been injured. They are suppose to play this week. I would tell the OL to start blocking. I would run an attacking defense in lieu of what we are seeing.
    I would try to run the Ball 30 times a game, and play action off of running game.

2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with this but I am not sure it is as much a personal problem as it is a scheme problem. I find it hard to believe that whatever player we put out there stinks. I believe we are trying to run a defense that is very confusing especially in the back end. I also believe what we are doing up front in not working. The pressure we were getting in the Bucs game was pretty good and in the Rats game we ran something much different. I feel we either need to go 3-4 or 4-3 and stick with it scrap this hybrid crap.

The oline needs to play better where is the chip on their shoulder they had in week one? Ben also needs to find mid season Ben cause this slow start is killing us, but when he is on there isn't anyone better. Switzer needs to stay on ST and Washington needs to see more targets, especially deep.

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Your spot on...can someone answer why it seems like our players on D aren't taking the next step and progressing and improving. To me it seems our players show promise when they are rookies and just get progressively worse. I'm down on Cam and Tuitts production but at the same time how are they supposed to make plays when getting blocked by 5 guys. What happened to Hargrave? Is he still on the team? How many times did Collinsworth comment on the fact we were only rushing 3 guys? It is amazing to me that our HC and DC just sit there and watch us get tortured and yet they do nothing....it's nothing new . It's been happening for years. To me the scheme is 90% the issue. There is definitely talent on the D but our coaches can't seem to put them in a position to accentuate their abilities.
    How in the world were they leaving Edmunds all by himself to cover deep and blitz Sean Davis? Edmunds reportedly didn't get any reps at FS yet they left him out there. That's just 1 example of the ridiculous positions they put the players in,there are many more. I'm just tired of beating the same drum about the ineptness of our DC and the lack of stepping in and up by our HC...
    Doesn't mean I'm gonna stop :smiley1: Its just very puzzling to me the things we do....

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    The fallacy that we can only seem to draft offensive talent is a weak excuse as to not blame the clowns we have running our D.....Butler ,Porter and the HC with the DC background that can't seem to fix it either.
    Number 1s ,2s and 3s all over our D . What we missed on all of them? I have a very hard time believing that. Judging by the way we are playing it seems like it...I'm guessing it's something else.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    tuitt, alualu, heyward

bostic, thomas/ fort

hilton, haden

davis, burnett/edmunds

foster out finney in,

juju, washington, AB

riddley more playing time.

james more playing time in two TE sets.

nix used more. end the empty backfield so much. :cool:

6. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    We need to start using our RB's equally through out games. Clock management would improve and it keeps our D off the field:smiley1:

7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    What makes you think Heyward and Tuitt would do any better as 4-3 DTs? If they can't get pressure as 3-4 DEs... how will they do any better as 4-3 DTs?

Heyward and Tuitt are highly overrated and exceptionally average. Each needs a pro-bowl caliber DE/DT to compliment them. I could see both of these players thriving elsewhere with a counterpart who can bring the heat constantly. Neither of these guys can do that.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  8. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Since I don't really think it's a personnel issue with the defense, I won't change much there. I think the players can't be as bad as they look, it has to be scheme.

On offense, I'd echo what was already said and get Nix more involved. Not saying he's a secret weapon or anything, but pretty much every time he's ever had a pass thrown to him in the flat, he's wide open. Keep doing that until a defense respects that and that will open up someone else.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't see either as a DT in a 4-3 . I see them now as bulked up DEs trying to basically be DTs in a 3-4 to be stronger at the POA. I can easily see Cam and Tuitt shedding some weight to play DE in a 4-3 and get some true anchors for DT...IMO. I think they are both very talented players being neutered by the scheme,just like everyone else.

10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I hope you're right. There is some talent in both of these players... but we're not seeing it on a consistent basis. And DEs in 3-4 and DTs in 4-3 are apples and oranges... in other words... worlds apart.

11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I would work on special teams. Focus on a lot of punting, onside kicks/recoveries, work on forcing turnovers on special teams/defense.

Tackling/red zone D and just play soft zone and just go for the picks/fumbles lol team not stopping anyone anyway.

Offense is just as bad as defense. We play catch up, we actually catch up and then just fall apart. Turtling, playing scared, not sticking to what is working.

It's just coaching. It's all bad. Offense/defense time management, it's a mess. Should be a top 5 offense and middle of the pack defense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

The very same reasons we discussed weeks ago.

Furthermore, I find it very difficult to believe that a First Team All Pro in Cameron Heyward is overrated.

13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    overrated in the sense that good lines always wash him out. He gets his numbers from scrubs.

I don't solely blame him, teams double him because nobody else can pickup slack.

Tuitt fell off a cliff. Had he continued his dominance pre injuries we likely would have a elite front.

• Agree Agree x 2