1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What changes are we making this off season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Jan 10, 2023.

1. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    .... mitch expressed he was stupid to sign so fast with the steelers.
    - so I'm unsure if he's going to work something out of his contract mutually. But even if not, we save 8 million.
    - rudolph won't return.
    - therefore I think mitch money could go to a vet QB. So they can work with pickett. As well we need a backup.
    - do not re-sign bush
    - I don't like to cut Myles Jack. But we can use that 8 and put it with 5 million to get a decent LB.

We have 17 million. And ten of that will go to sutton (corner).

We have options to cutting others. Like witherspoon (corner), so we really need to find another corner.
    there is William Jackson we got for free from Washington. have they've seen enough to liking him for their #2 CB?
    or do we go into the draft looking for another corner in the 3rd?.

also I want to bring kazee back.

if we don't sign a CB. Then we would would have 5 million gone to rookies, therefore maybe 5 left. So not enough for a LB. Unless you say no to bringing in a vet QB.

Picks are.... 19, 32, 51, then 19 in 3rd, 4th.

If we shore up corners in FA.... then LB, DT, LB.
    If we don't have a second corner... LB, DT, CB
    If we cut jack, and use it towards another LB. I still think we go LB, DT, (then maybe BPA)

3rd and 4th I have no idea. You can say WR, but I really want to see Austin. So Maybe just take BPA.

Offense I'm happy with all around. You could say a center or G. Cole can move to either position. You could say LT..... but honestly I was thrilled with our line. To me they held longer than the average. And pickett will eventually get faster in a few years.

Anyhow what do you think?

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Keep Myles let Bush go. Can’t let both leave and they aren’t in cap trouble. I’m hoping they can find a stud in the draft to pair with Myles. They’ve been looking since Shaizer got hurt.

I think Coles stays as center, he handled the job well. I want a LT and if there is a sure thing sitting there at pick 17 I hope they take him.

I think they will draft a WR, I actually hoping they do, if they could find another guy like Pickens, man that would be lethal.

Supposed to be a good draft for DB’s, hopefully Khan and Weidl have a better eye for that position.

Thats all I got right now, haven’t put a lot of thought into this yet. Have to switch to offseason mode! Look at free agency, dig into the draft.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I want a new LT with either the #17 or #32. And I wouldn't complain if a new LG at 51 was also added.

Lowest paid offense in the league last year.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
  4. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I hope they keep Jack and Sutton. May be able to snag an ILB like Jack Campbell from Iowa in 2nd or 3rd round.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Picks are 17, 32, 48 and 60.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    How does he compare to Josey Jewell? Denver will be on its 3rd head coach in 3 yrs and I liked Jewell's motor coming out of college but don't think he has stood out in Denver. Could be a cheap peice of coal to look for a diamond in.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Not sure of Jewell’s measurables, but this Campbell kid is 6’5” 248 with a good motor. Shades of Jack Lambert.

• Like Like x 1
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I only saw Jewell in 2 games but he was a tackling machine and everywhere on the field for the Hawkeyes. Not an Iowa fan but they turn out so Steeler ready type players.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The site I checked earlier said 13 million. WE really wont know until the Cap amount is set, but we are in 18th in the leagues list, not horrible, but no really (yet anyway) to make a splash move. I think you have to sign Sutton and Kazee as you team keepers, keep Jack, he was not great but until injuries hit decent, I think the consistency of keeping him along with a developing Robinson could be a good tandem (Moats has a breakdown of Robinson on YT..he made mistakes but actually pretty encouraging.
    End of year interview Cam H seemed uncertain, I dont see how they drop him, but I also do not see how they pay him 22 million against the CAP, Omar does his magic and Cam still gets his bucks and gives us some relief.

Do they have enough to keep Ogunjobi? Do they want to? If they can sign Kazee, Sutton, Ogunjobi, and possibly Spillane I dont see much happening in FA, perhaps one year deals on the secondary aftermarket.

on the OL Chucks has a 13 million cap hit, 6 million dead cap if cut. IDK if he is worth that, but not sure you find anything cheaper, likely a restructure (if possible) to get relief before camp for the emergency fund lol

10. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Over the cap has us at 17.3 w/ 39 players under contract. They can go to the bank of tj and minkah to pick up several million if needed.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe make the Punt/Kickoff return game actually something opponents have to plan for.
    Seems like it's free yardage to get your Offense in at least FG range.

It occurred to me during the last game that nothing ever happens Return wise.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Sport trac has it 13 plus million...but thats a projected 51, so the numbers I guess vary on how the calculate. Plus we really wont know until the actual new year starts and the league gives the actual Cap number, which should go up...which means the starting frenzy of FA will go up lol.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/steelers-sign-10-players-to-reservefuture-contracts/ar-AA16bHU5

The Pittsburgh Steelers have signed 10 players to future/reserve contracts as they begin their offseason.

The team announced they have signed wide receiver Ja'Marcus Bradley, defensive back Duke Dawson, guard William Dunkle, linebacker Emeke Egbule, running back Jason Huntley, center Ryan McCollum, defensive back Scott Nelson, running back Master Teague, wide receiver Cody White and tight end Rodney Williams. All spent time on the Steelers' practice squad at some point during the 2022 season.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Someone on a thread mentioned moving Moore to G, IDK if thats even feasible, but I do know the left side for both T and G needs attention. Dotson shows flashes, but the inconsistency from both just makes that side vulnerable.

• Like Like x 1
  15. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Prepare to be disappointed. As for your lowest paid offense comment. We are also one of the youngest. A bunch of guys on rookie contracts makes a difference. A huge difference

16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Was Kendrick Green ever active on gameday? Every time I saw him on the Steeler sideline he was always in sweats.

Moore to guard???
    Moore was a three-star recruit as a guard coming out of West Brook High School in Beaumont, Texas. In his true freshman season with the Aggies, however, he played in eight games with one start at right tackle. Moore switched to the left tackle position for his sophomore year, starting all 13 games. He repeated that feat in his junior campaign, and then notched second-team All-SEC honors after starting all 10 contests for A&M at that spot in 2020. He accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl. -- by Chad Reuter

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I've been saying that all year. I think if we add a franchise level LT, Moore could make a nice LG.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I've been thinking for a little while. You know I was pulling for a post season.

I agree with got to keep myles. And 8 to him isn't bad.

Not sure I want a LT. that's going to be in the first. And we need something at LB.

19. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Not me. Our line did impressive for a rookie. Because they don't get that ball out fast. Pickett had good time.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    You sure, i counted to 19.

21. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Hard for me to follow about players until the combine happens.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Was agreeing unto chucks... I say yes. Because Kenny wasn't getting hit. He took a shot I think against the jets but never saw that again. So keep your line to where they click.

23. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    We tried 3 or 4 and nothing. That's what that one wr was to be for. Szekeweski or however his name is

24. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Awesome. Thanks for sharing

25. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    19-32 (in this case 31, since Miami's pick is forfeit) are for playoff teams. Detroit and Pittsburgh have the best records of non-playoff teams, and Detroit has a higher strength of schedule, so they are 18 and we are 17.

• Like Like x 2