1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What are the chances?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Jul 1, 2018.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Karl Dunbar can make a difference with big Dan McCullers? Could he be the guy that finally motivates him to play to his size? If so then what? What will happen to Frazier? We have brought in many UDFAs to compete on the D-Line this year. We have some good players to put pressure on the QB but may we see any change in players to help stop the run better? Are these guys PS players or do they have a shot at replacing anyone?:cool:

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Very little from McCullers as I see it. Frazier on the other hand? He will benefit from it.

Tuitt and Heyward have flourished under Mitchell, L.T. Walton and Javon Hargrave the same. Both Mitchell and Dunbar have near identical coaching styles.

That being said, Frazier will be the bigger beneficiary from Dunbar's teachings than McCullers will be. I believe McCullers does not have much to offer anymore. I would even to go as far in stating Greg Gilmore has a higher ceiling than when Big Dan entered.

3. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    A battle to watch is Gilmore, Frazier and the forgotten Hooks!!

McCullers I fear is done. Either you want it or you don't .... In the NFL, it stands for Not For Long for players who .... Coast thru.....

Cajun

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I hadnt heard until they resigned him the Joe Greene even tried getting through to him. If Mean Joe can't reach you than there might be a problem

5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    This is his 5th yr. it's hard to imagine that there's a breakout year ahead.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    McCullers is what he is. I honestly think Steelers coaches have gotten more out of him than I expected them to.

7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't know why people think Dunbar is some big upgrade over Mitchell. I certainly don't see any reason he is going to have some magical effect on McCullers.

Bradley should be a big help. Lake had to go, especially given the way Burns and Davis regressed last season. But Mitchell wasn't the problem and I don't see anything in Dunbar's resume to make me think he will be any better.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    According to the players there is a difference. Hargreaves talks about Dunbar bringing things that the line didn't even know.:cool:

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Wow. Players said something positive about a new coach. There's a shock.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    More than just positive things. Different coaching styles but teaching things they didn't even know is quite shocking at this level. I know it doesn't meet your narrative and you will down play it like you did, but it sounds like it is a bigger change than you think according to what he's teaching them.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    just showing you in print that you were wrong with the comments you made. ;):cool:

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Players are going to say positive things about their new coaches. That really doesn't mean much of anything. A player's compliments are not good reason to believe that Dunbar is going to be an upgrade over Mitchell.

I know what you think you were doing, but you didn't come close to accomplishing it. The fun part is you didn't even understand the flaw in your point.

16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Those unthinkably, colossal "senses" of mine are starting to be triggered again.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    no flaw. it wasn't my point either it was from a player talking about a new coach teaching things that were not taught by an old coach. this wasn't a player saying well he's a good guy, it's about technique that wasn't being taught and it may make a huge difference in an area we were lacking. much like bradley teaching the DB's technique and fundamentals. it has to help and it could very well make a difference in a players play most likely. that helps every player behind the line as well. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Short answer: no