1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What about Kaepernick for backup QB?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Emperor Lebaeu, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Some interesting points made, Elvis.

I think it's all a bit academic, though, as we have two backups and unless the new guy stinks it up, there would be absolutely no need for us to sign another.

2. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Actually there wont be a backup battle in camp this year, LJ knows the complete play book and is the only QB with real game time experience, the other two QBs Dobbs and Houston will split time for the 3 spot, both with limited knowledge of the play book and playing against teams 2s and 3s and the only advantage Dobbs has is he was drafted where as Houston is an UDFA, Houston could possibly have a better camp than Dobbs and cause a controversy into Dobbs status..........

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think houston will see very little time. he couldn't even start in college. :cool:

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think my reason #2 is the primary reason that no NFL has signed him. He wants to be the starter, and be paid as such, but he's not starter material over the long term because of his playing style.

Also, I'm NOT advocating that we get him, just pointing out that if the 2 issues I listed didn't exist, he has the ability (proven ability) to get things done at an NFL level.

5. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    He did have some starts, compared to Matt Cassel who never started in college, he might look good when he does get some snaps in camp, odds are long against him staying here though.

6. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    He said he wanted to be wilsons backup in seattle, so I take him at his word............

@Schultz_Report
    Per source, Colin Kaepernick "wants to be a Seahawk" and informed team that he's content backing up Russell Wilson. Mtg went "very well."

7:35 AM - 25 May 2017

7. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    It'll never happen and I 'm not sure he'd even be an upgrade to our back up at this point.

He looked pretty bad and I'm taliking on the field

8. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Kap's general appeal these days seems to rest with the participation trophy crowd - can you imagine him facing #92 in a scrimmage? Me neither. :cool:

9. Woodley's Woodies

Woodley's Woodies Active Member

Dec 16, 2011
    A few members of this board again proving to be overly conservative, out of touch and having a warped view of what it means to be an American.

I'll let everyone else handle the football issues. The simple reality is there is no doubt Kaep is better than Landry Jones and our current QB options.

Being American means being able to protest and drive attention towards issues that are important. Regardless of your personal opinions on the matter, no one is obligated to stand for the flag or automatically assume that Police officers are fair to members of all races. Sorry if that impacts your "American" sensibilities. Frankly, this obsession we have with professional athletes being compelled to be patriotic or automatically support the military or police structure is about as Un-American as you can get. Everyone has a right to their own opinions here and can protest them in a non-violent fashion.

If you were interviewing for jobs this week and were turned down because you weren't patriotic enough, that would be grounds for a lawsuit.

The reality is that a group of billionaires have actively colluded to prevent Kaepernick from working in the league. The reasons for this are complex, but at its core you have a league that simply avoids tough conversations and wants complete submission. This has been true for concussions, domestic assaults, endzone dancing, and an endless list. It's much easier for 32 billionaire white dudes to agree not to hire this guy than have an open dialogue.

There are CONFIRMED domestic assault perpetrators who continue to play in the league. Why is this okay? Frankly, it's because we don't get the type of reaction we see on this thread for that. Take a look in the mirror about what you choose to get angry about.

The Steelers would show much more moral strength by signing him than being part of this collusion.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    and i have the right to not like him for whatever reason i choose and there is no need to look in the mirror. neither do the owners that employ these millionaire players. our police and service members make and made it possible for kapernik to make his multi millions.

i also don't do my protesting at work. to many other entities are involved with having a business and that is not the place for kapernik to dictate how he feels when he's on the bosses clock. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Woodley's Woodies

Woodley's Woodies Active Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Fair point on protesting during work hours. The flip side is your work shouldn't require you to salute the flag. Correct me if I'm wrong but your employer probably doesn't force everyone to stand for the National Anthem every morning?

Of course you have the right to not like him. I don't like him. That's not really the point. The owners should not have the luxury to not hire someone based on their political beliefs, period. More importantly, if they are actively colluding together to prevent him from playing due to this, that's a straight up crime.

Police and service members have made it possible for him to make his money. So did Charles Follis (first black NFL player) and Jackie Robinson. Kaepernick has concerns about the way black people are treated by police in this country and expressed it in a way that drew attention to it. He has a viewpoint that differs from yours and has a different way of expressing it.

"No need to look in the mirror" is just childish. We all need to be aware of what we are supporting. Anyone that supports the Steelers, and by proxy, Big Ben, has gone through the process of rationalizing his past behavior and deciding you would look past it. You made your decision about that and are entitled to it, but let's not act as though Kap is the only one with skeletons in his closet.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    the white owners made it possible for follis and robinson. i was one of the people that said ben should go if he did what they said. i root for the steelers as a team and not just because of any one player.

he didn't protest because of the way whites or any other colored person is treated by police either. for all that play the game of pro sports it is a very small minority that are in trouble, that is also the way it is for bad police.

honoring the flag has nothing to do with what a bad policeman does on such a small scale. this country has nothing to do with this protest. honoring this country that gives him the ability to earn such a good living has nothing to do with a few bad apples. there are other ways his status on the public stage could have been used for a protest. America, love it or leave it. :flag::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. funkysteelersfan

funkysteelersfan Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    I feel the mistake is people saying Kaep is being blackballed solely because of race and unpatriotic behavior. I feel it's less about that and more about production. If Cam Newton did the same stuff he would not have been waived by the Panthers. The same goes for Russell Wilson. Teams in the NFL will tolerate a distraction from a star QB, a stud pass rusher, an all pro WR. etc. They don't tolerate a distraction from a back up QB. The league didn't tolerate Tebow or Manziel and right now teams see him in the same light, a back up quality QB. I'm guessing teams think the small upgrade he would make to your roster isn't worth all the headaches.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    He has a right to protest, on his own time, not while on the job. And yes your employer can require you to salute the flag. Know anyone employed by the US military? I don't think any team wants him in their locker room stirring others up with his "protest".

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Camp arm

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Good trolling :lolol:

But no.

17. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    We already know what Landry can't do... lets see what Dobbs can do in the preseason... i think he will surprise many.

18. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    If you think people here don't get wound up about anyone but this pinko, sjw, reject, brown shirt, commie then you should really search up the threads on when Vick was signed... I think you'll see that it's not just selective moral outrage. There have been tons of lightning rod players around here over the years. This che guevara loving idiot is just the latest.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    My not wanting him to play here has nothing to do with his protesting. I just don't think he is very good. He benefitted from the NFL not being ready for the read option when he burst onto the scene his first season. I still remember the GB game where he destroyed them with it. Once defensive coordinators figured out how to defend it, his play continued to drop off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Instead of Kap...what about RGIII?

21. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I'm the same. I don't think he's good. His being a moron would definitely be a distraction but his being a sucky qb is even more of a big deal. He never had a real football iq and now that he's older he can't even trust in his legs anymore. Also that 9ers team had a great d and a good rb. He was more incidental than integral to their success anyway. Just a flash in the pan and I genuinely believe his idiotic "protests" were really more of a result of him trying to save face for being exposed as a sucky qb than anything else.

22. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Anyone who disrespect the flag & everything America stands for is not welcome in Pittsburgh. Let him go play for some team in Russia...

23. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    I can see the reason why you would think that way, but with Jones & Dobbs on the roster right now, Kaepernick would have to beat all of them out to secure the backup position.

Although, since he knelled during the national anthem, the amount of distraction would be too much for certain teams to handle. Even then, we dealt with controversy as well when Ben got accused of misconduct and Harrison was considered a "dirty" player due to his hits. Think about the Patriots with their cheating and Brady with his deflate-gate. Some teams have it rough when it comes to certain players and their actions.

Now, I'm not saying that this signing would be a bad idea, but I'll leave you with 2 questions:

1. Would the distraction(s) be too much for us to handle?
    2. Will this signing be worth it for us in the long run with the current QB's on the roster?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  24. funkysteelersfan

funkysteelersfan Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    He also is physically less imposing now. The last time I saw him he looked like he lost 20 lbs. of muscle mass.

25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As the greatest QB of all time has just stated recently, the NFL has figured out these running Qb's.
    Plus Joe also noted his accuracy may not be the best.