1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

We're in Coordinator Trouble

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 08SteelCurtain, Sep 30, 2018.

1. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    If you believe the coaches put together a good plan, let’s hope the players execute these gems by the Tomlin crew in the future.

2. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Say what you want about Haley, but he wasn’t afraid to mix it up with Ben. He had passion for the game and he showed it. I’m just not seeing it from Fichtner

3. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Interestingly enough, Tomlin apparently took a large portion of the DC responsibility last season. And the defense was performing well.

So, he can call the defense. He is definitely X's and O's on that side of the ball. And he can spot talent. So, no issue there.

Yet, there are coordinator issues. Did he pick Haley? Did he pick Butler? Probably not solely. It is likely Colbert and the rest of the front office were involved. The hiring of coordinators seems to be an issue. The head coach cannot be maximally effective when carrying coordinator weight in addition to HC responsibility.

So, my question is this: What's up with the coordinator hiring process?

4. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2016
    we have to have coordinator's..who's gonna water the house plant?

5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    ....but wait guys are saying there is no talent and you are saying Tomlin can spot talent. You are also saying when Tomlin took over D play calling we were performing well. So what is the issue then. He spotted the talent ,his play calling has led to success. Why are we so terrible then? Why don't he take over the playcalling full time then? There are plenty of coaches who call games on O and or D....
    Butler is his buddy from back in the day. Haley wasn't a problem the Haley /Ben relationship was a problem.
    The HC can't be maximally effective carrying coordinator weight in addition HC responsibilty .....seriously?
    Oh that's right he is too busy coming up with great game plans and making adjustments. Oh and I'm forgetting all the communication issues he's ironing out. Nevermind the discipline and accountability he is demanding. Last but not least the time management,replay challenges and situational football he is so well known for.
    I'm not trying to bust on you but to blame it all on the coordinators when he is the HC isn't fair. All of this is happening on his watch and under his supervision. It's his problem....it's his job.

6. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    How can you execute a **** plan that has failed before it ever began. So a player like Weddle that's been around this long comes out and says his coach did a great job preparing them and the results backed it up .Weddle a veteran player who I'm sure realizes what a good gameplan is ....is in fact clueless...that's hilarious. Well the plan against KC worked like a charm. Mahomes looked really confused by it.
    What was the plan against Flacco hoping he would stand in the pocket long enough that he would fall asleep?

7. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    1) Other posters said that he does spot talent. There are people on both sides of that fence. The statement was based on those who think he spots talent.
    2) The defense was performing well when Tomlin was calling the plays. So, there's that.
    3) I don't know why the entire team is so horrible. That's what we do on the board. Discuss from our perspectives realizing none of us work for the organization and have knowledge of its inner workings.
    4) I don't know why Tomlin doesn't take on play calling full time. I'm not in those meetings.
    5) I agree that Haley was not a problem, per se. But if the star QB is not happy, then that's probably going to hold some political weight beyond what the job description of coordinator affords the coach in the position. This is basic political science, man.
    6) If an HC could be maximally effective while taking on coordinator responsibilities, then teams wouldn't hire coordinators. But, uh, yeah... ok. :lolol:
    7) Tomlin has adjusted enough to pull a poorly performing team back from 1st half deficits for most of the games in this season ( I don't have the stats for all so feel free to pick on this point, if it makes you feel better.) That the players cannot perform in the 2nd half based on the plays called is another issue.
    8) I never blamed the coordinators, specifically. What I question is what is going on with the hiring and management of the coordinators in relation to Tomlin, Colbert and the front office. That's questioning people and processes that aren't the coordinators. Go back and check that. Thanks.

Ultimately, this all falls on Tomlin. He accepted the job and the responsibility that goes along with it. It's his ship. And it's his job to correct said ship.

I'm going to wait and see if he does so. His current track record and resume indicates that he will do so.

Other than that, we can agree to disagree.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    That's because Ficthner is Ben's ball boy.

9. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Well said.

10. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Qb turns the ball over 6 times- blame the oc.

Qb can’t hit the broadside of a barn- blame the oc.

O-line couldn’t run block against a college team- blame the oc.

11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah....definitely disagree...:lolol: