1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

We're in Coordinator Trouble

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 08SteelCurtain, Sep 30, 2018.

1. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    There is something to be said for consistency. But sometimes if you're too afraid to change you may never reach your true potential and you're wasting careers. This isn't like an old family recipe. They need to adapt to today's NFL.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm sure Tomlin knows X-s and O's... I suspect he is handcuffing Butler though... Butler in his first year blitzed way more and pretty successfully.

3. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Totally agree. And if that's the case, and the team ownership can look at the (under) achievement of this team over the past few years - and feel that this is where they want to be - then the current mess is on them.

4. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    They had to be blitz heavy, they can't get pressure with four which is what all great defenses do. The Steelers are a victim of their own scheme. Getting pressure with the least amount of people whilst dropping the most amount of people is a simple principle that the adjusted 3-4 scheme doesn't accomplish in today's NFL.

5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Exactly. I feel like the Rooney's try to run this franchise like a bank lol or some other steady business.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Totally agree... and 2 of the 4 (Heyward and Tuitt) need to live in other teams backfields... they are absent in every game.

We might need to swap these guys out with guys that are quicker?

7. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Just to compare, I'm not sure if Cowher was an X's and O's guy but the guy always knew what kind of offense and defense he wanted. He threw coordinators under the bus fair or not but there was no mistake who was in charge. I get the impression that Tomlin isn't that decisive.

8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Well according to the interview he did about Tony Dungy last week he may already have all the answers but he's just waiting for everyone to figure it out for themselves....HC nah! He wants to be a life coach....

9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    It was also a much different game back then...

10. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Cowher teams **** the bed a lot too in all fairness. Had he had a QB like Ben during his tenure... Would've been pretty interesting. He got one with Ben and checked out the next year as Ben was head butting moving vehicles and developing appendicitis through the first few weeks.

Cowher never had a legit QB had he had one, I think it would've been something else but then again he was a Schootenheimer disciple so who knows.

11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    It was but you still need a vision of what you want you're team to be, an identity. I honestly have no idea what this Steelers team's identity is.

12. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Yeah I definitely gave Cowher crap for how many AFCGs he lost and wanted to run him out of town at certain points lol.

13. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    We all did if we're being honest with our younger selves. And those older that still yearn for his return are foo kin nuts all the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Right now their identity is inconsistent,confused,soft and easily out coached.

15. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Loved Cowher as it was an exciting new era but I also acknowledge that it averaged out to about where the team is in this new era. Albeit cowhers years didn't include a HOF QB at the helm.

16. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Early on, Tomlin benefitted from great character leaders in the locker room and on the field. Something that’s been missing is the secondary for a while.
    Loved Ryan Clark and Troy P.

17. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't put this loss on the defense at all. The offense had 47 total yards in the second half. Defense was gassed.

This one is totally on the O-coordinator or should I say Ben.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mgsmooth

Aug 14, 2016
    Weddle said in post-game conference that their D-Coordinator (Matindale) had them well prepared for the Steelers offense. Pretty much figured out.

So yeah, even the players say it came down to coaching.

19. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Those teams were loaded with leaders on defense... From the D-line to the linebackers to the secondary.. Chalked full of veterans playing at the top of their game and capable of leading the team, whether by actions or words. Literally every single one of those starters from 2008 would be an improvement over the starters we have today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. mgsmooth

Aug 14, 2016
    Yes, Tomlin came into an ideal situation. Hard to be unsuccessful.

21. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    I dunno if it was Fichtner or Ben but the decision to throw deep on 3rd and 1 in the red zone shows that logic is completely out the window.

22. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    So who's fault was it when Ben didn't get the ball to open WR's? Players are sometimes as clueless as fans. Games come down to execution.

23. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Don’t forget undisciplined and.... uh.... dumpster fire. Right now, our best defensive play seems to be get out of position and hope to God the QB doesn’t hit the wide open receiver. Against KC and BALT, that strategy worked well 2 out of every 30 times. It’s those other pesky 28 we need to figure out...

24. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    For all we knock our D - and rightly so - Ben was throwing into open space, and our receivers were finding open space. Problem was, they were different spaces on the field...

25. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    I wonder if this hurt Tomlin's development as a head coach. When he came in, the locker room was likely able to police itself. Tomlin probably just let things handle themselves because they were always taken care of. Now, the locker room is experiencing some turmoil, but Tomlin never learned how to handle it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2