1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome To The Steelers TJ Watt

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    So what is his history with the knee injuries, and are you concerned?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Welcome aboard TJ, our expectations are high around here.

I am looking for 4-6 qb sacks this year and 10 by your second year.

3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't know if TJ will ever be that 10 sacks a year type of guy.

I hope I'm wrong and his ceiling is as high as some people think.

4. Ratkomladic

Ratkomladic Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2013
  5. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree on 4-6 qb sacks this year, because he will be splitting time with Harrison. Also see double those sacks when he plays full time upon Harrison retirement. This year will also give him time to gain about 10 to 15 pounds and get even stronger. This guy has a high upside in comparison to Jarvis Jones, who didnt gain much weight or got stronger in his 5 years here.

6. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    He may not be a sack master... But i hope he is another piece of the defense that will help keep the offenses from getting first downs...

7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Watch the face to face interview with Missi on the Steelers site and if you don't come away impressed with this young man than you never will be. I would completely ignore the if his last name wasn't talk and just embrace the fact he is going to be a solid addition to the defense. My only hope is that he forgets that whole I'm a rookie and keep my mouth shout idea he has and he gets loud and vocal.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That 4-6 sacks is equal to Jarvis career sack total :facepalm:

9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The difference is Jarvis wasn't athletic and had a terrible workout running a 4.9 forty, TJ had a great combine workout with a 4.69 forty.

10. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Plus a desire to work and hone his craft. Tj really impresses with his desire to work and study the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. BuckyMke

BuckyMke Member

Apr 28, 2017
    He was looking like a program washout until they switched him to defense. Ever since he moved from H-back to OLB his knees havent given him any issues. I did post this earlier but OLBs and DEs tend to have fewer mcl and acl surgeries compared to WRs H backs and backs.

12. BuckyMke

BuckyMke Member

Apr 28, 2017
    As your GM said, he was an All American after just 18 months at the position. So while he doesn't have a lot of experience playing OLB he's light years ahead of where he should be and besides he's ahead of where the typical 34 OLB draftee would be since he's already been playing the position as opposed to a DE conversion like Takkarist McKinley. Many of the concepts he's already comfortable with, he just needs to gain strength and continue to improve his technique. Which btw he probably doing right now as I type this, he offseasons with his big bro and trains with him religiously.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup. Who better to have as a workout buddy than James Harrison?

14. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Awesome Pick of the 1st year All American!

• Like Like x 1
  15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Great pick and I'm glad we hit on our biggest need. Also glad we didn't wait until the 2nd round as Tyus Bowser and Ryan Anderson would have been gone. And there wasn't a whole lot left after those two for a position we desperately needed to add some top talent. I'm actually glad his brother is JJ. Because you know a lot of "trade secrets" are going to be exchanged. Add the brotherly advice to our coaching staff's input and his desire to hone his skills and that can be a great recipe for our production from the OLB position. I'm psyched...

16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

Welcome to Pittsburgh TJ

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Man, I'm so pumped about this pick! Just looked through all the SPARQ numbers for edge rushers in this draft and Watt is just as much of a beast as I thought. He's 4th overall, but he equals or exceeds Myles Garrett in just about every category except bench press and weight.

Garrett did 33 reps
    Watt did 21 reps

Garrett weighs 272
    Watt weighs 252

That's amazing! Garrett was a pretty much consensus number 1 overall. We got the equivalent player (analytically) at 30! Once Watt gets in the weight room with Debo during the season and his brothers in the off season he will probably add 10-15 lbs of muscle and increase strength dramatically, likely equalling Garrett's numbers in short order.

Bottom line, had Watt stayed in school one more year there's zero chance he gets out of the top ten picks. We got a guy who matches the consensus number 1 pick in measurables/analytics... except our guy doesn't take plays off like Garrett.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I understand analytics are key but over the course of their careers, it is desire and passion that you indirectly stated.

Myles Garrett has only accounted 12.5 sacks of his total against SEC competition. Compare that with Watt, who has had eight and a half total against Big Ten competition. That is eight and a half total out of 11.5 sacks in essentially his "freshman" year at a position he just started learning.

Unlike Garrett, I believe that Watt could become the best 3-4 OLB from this draft. To me, I see a lesser Joey Bosa in the way he uses his hands, engages in blocks and his technique and bend. Myles Garrett may remind some of Javon Kearse but Kearse had the desire even coming out of college. I do not see that in Garrett.

For my money, Derek Barnett, a lesser athlete, is a better player than Garrett.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  19. SteelerinKC

SteelerinKC Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Lucky!

20. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes those ham and eggs looked delicious but the sandwich was just over the top.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
  22. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm really impressed by this young man. He talked to the media at rookie camp and just his work ethic, his attitude, the willingness to do whatever is asked, and his attitude towards staying in and not getting caught up in the night life just impressive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    One of the reasons I wanted him to be the pick. You knew he'd give it everything he's got, Sunday to Sunday.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011