1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome To The Steelers TJ Watt

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Apr 27, 2017.

1. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree. Thought Foster would have been a better pick. But what do I know. I'm just the Drunken GM.

Welcome to the Steelers, TJ!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Welcome to the steelers! Please please please be the olb we need and not another JJ.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Other than 40 time he had amazing combine numbers.

5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I think we probably share some concerns regarding Watt. I always viewed him as a safe pick. Not gonna lie part of me thought he was destined for Green Bay, the other part of me thought the Steelers would definitely take him if available.

The 2 knee surgeries concerns me. The lack of elite athleticism concerns me. 1 tear of production is a bit concerning.

But what we are getting are a future ROLB (although I'm on record I wouldn't mind seeing him on the inside next to Shazier.) I think fans need to know what you are getting with TJ Watt. I don't see him as a 8+ sack guy. I see him more in the 4-6 range but he's going to be tough against the run and play with a high motor.

Like you said, there's a little bit of prove me wrong. I just question if his name was TJ Smith what round he would go in. Picking at #30 it's tough to get an all-pro athlete. Atleast we know we aren't getting a lack of effort with this pick. Just hoping he can stay healthy and bring it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I like it, filled a position of need, no outside issues, high motor, has a few moves already, kinda reminds me of Kevin Green type OLB. Only concern is his previous knee surgeries. Welcome aboard, now go train like Harrison does.:thumbs up:

• Like Like x 2
  7. fer69

fer69 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2016
    "He’s a better player than I was at the same point in our careers. The guy’s only played the position for 18 months or whatever it is. And for him to have the innate abilities that he has, a nose for the ball and the way that he can rush the passer with no true experience or a ton of time being coached at it … he just picked it up."

-JJ WATT

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Rover will be his trademark... Mike Tomlin said. “He’ll come off the edge, you see him drop and cover people, you see him work out of a ‘Rover’ front where he’s floating over or around the ball in a similar way that we ask our guys to play. "

9. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    yeah love this pick.. apparently he plays to the whistle and relentless like his bro. Great pick. Looking forward to seeing him. 6'5" 245 lbs WOW

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Watt or Foster would both be good picks. Watt if he develops has more potential of helping us beat Brady with pressure. If we want to win the SB, that is what we need.

Injuries make me nervous, but docs think it's ok. Watt has a ton of upside.

If Watt can provide some useful reps by game 12, it will help this season.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Message from your dog:

He hates that leash

12. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    With one year experience at OLB ... Does he take over Timmons spot at 240lbs? Maybe Lawson or Williams is still on the table?

13. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    That doesn't sound like him, but he hates getting hit by cars more.

14. BuckyMke

BuckyMke Member

Apr 28, 2017
    Hey fellas, and ladies, Badger fan here to congratulate you on TJ and yes he's a great fit in your defense. First he was ROLB at Wisco which does use a lot of Blitzburgh like concepts including stunts twists and zone drops. Second the injury concerns are likely overblown, TJ had problems with his knees playing as an H-back tight end. Here at Wisco we use them like big wide receivers in the slot with lots of cutting. As soon as TJ moved to OLB the knee problems vanished. Third he did produce elite production against high end competition, look at those highlights and it's not the little sisters of the poor that he's dominating but the likes of Michigan and PSU.

How do I think he projects? IMHO He would have gone much higher if he been moved to the position earlier or if he would have stayed in school for another year. He's a 6'5 long armed heavy handed pass rusher with a 128 inch broad jump, 2 more inches than Von Miller, that right there is lower body explosion folks. Now the pre workout analysis didn't peg him as being explosive but like his brother he doesn't look all that fast when playing, even while he's blowing past people. IMHO the length hides his quickness.

He's not the standard JJ Watt model, more like the faster quicker stripped down racing version. His game won't ever draw comparisons to Reggie White like JJ does but he doesn't have to. He'll get his work done with edge rushes stunts and set up his bull rushes the same way a good fastball pitcher plays up a decent change up. I see him as a 10-14 sack a year guy for Pitt... once he matures a bit because he needs to put on another 5-10 pounds of good weight.

As for him having JJ's work ethic, let's just say that he kept the Watt tradition alive and well at Wisconsin. The kid is driven like his brothers. Kid will be one of the hardest working players on your team, blue chip talent with a hardcore blue collar drive.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Thank you for the info

• Like Like x 2
  16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He played one year as a linebacker. He was a tight end and switched. So maybe they will use him on offense as well at some point. I am not against the pick, the kid is a player whether his name is Watt or not. But yea the hype is because of the name. Hopefully under James Harrison he will learn the trade and beef up a bit. This solidifies the OLB's. Now on to the secondary...

17. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    We drafted an athlethic specimen with pedigree, with a high motor, and who loves the game of football and put him in the Linebackers room with James Harrison for at least one year.

I'm happy with that. AB has shown, as he was not the AB we know coming out of college, that talent isn't necessarily something you just have or dont have. It is something you can take for yourself.

I would certainly be for making every pick in every draft from here on like this.

Theres two or three athletes we can take at pick blah blah blah at round blah blah blah.

Colbert and company in the war room grade them on a scale of 1 - 10 for "intangibles" or "Will/Drive."And then pick the winner.

Totally ok with that. That was somewhat the case with Artie Burns last year. He was picked right in time as he was resolving himself to be a man and mentor to his younger siblings and be their caretaker. He surprised us in his first year of production even though he was viewed as a second rounder.

Risky sure.. But every year we see the "better" picks go into the NFL, make millions, and be different. Not as good, not as productive, etc. I want the Steelers to be sure whomever they pick loves football and wants to be great.

I think T.J. likely has a certain chip on his shoulder being J.J.'s bro.

I trust that this is the correct move for the future. Even if he's very raw and very limited in his skillset.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016

Good write up. Welcome and thanks for taking the time to congratulate Steelers Nation on the pick. :yeehaw:

• Like Like x 2
  19. BuckyMke

BuckyMke Member

Apr 28, 2017
    Here's a good video of his first start,

Takeaways you can see the length intensity and acceleration here. It's just his first start and against high end power 5 talent. While he didn't blow up the stat sheet he was very good and in my opinion he demonstrates his dedication to his craft. He'd only been at the position for a year at this point but you'll see some nifty veteran moves. See the post by Bill Jackson for a description of his play throughout the game.

20. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Great pick. Welcome aboard.

I look forward to numerous puns on lighting, power, and questioning in the future. :drinks:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Good pick. Hope he gets over the injury bug. Steelers need all hands on deck starting week 15.

22. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Welcome TJ, and it would be wise to watch and learn from the work ethic of James Harrison. Don't go following him around like a lost puppy, just watch and learn.

23. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Watt played a full season last year with no knee problems, evidently he's fine, about a third of the players drafted yesterday had some kind of surgery in college, the bungles drafted john ross at nine and he had knee and shoulder surgery in college and being a small frame guy how is he going to hold up from NFL hits???

24. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I think he could take over. He has a motor and alot of heart. JJ even has come out and stated he is better then he was at the same time in their careers. 18 mos at the position is what I read.

25. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Kind of underwhelming however it was his first start at that position. The guy getting hit after the interception was really impressive hahaha.. holy gob knobler