1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome To The Steelers Terrell Edmunds

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Apr 26, 2018.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    But, but, but...

2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Burnett will start but this kid will see the field on sub packages and special teams. Could spell the end of Wilcox. Safety position is stacked. Time to move on to an ILB, WR, RB.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

That is fine. To each his own. My point of emphasis was that some fans expect the Steelers to pick players they have not even had contact with before. Going in blind just because a player is presumably higher than what the team drafts can be very costly. Those types of picks can set a franchise back depending upon the pick.

Ultimatley though, the team has far more resources than any of us do. They can deduce each prospect, find out what that prospect is good at and see if it matches up with what they are doing schematically.

As you alluded to Hack regarding the Steelers being smarter than everyone else. It is not that they are smarter than everyone else but the Steelers do put in more time studying and analyzing talent through tape than most other teams. Furthermore, seldom do they "panic" like other teams do.

To attest to this, having the NFL's best overall record since the merger and never having a losing decade is evidence of their success.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    How do you know this?

5. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    We are stacked with box safeties that's for sure. That's my main problem with the pick. I just don't know who will play free safety. Maybe we get one tonight.

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Looking at their success since 1970 from a historical standpoint is a good indicator. Few teams have matched that. Even fewer have sustained it.

Getting back on topic though Ender, what were your thoughts on the pick? Curious.

7. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I thought you had some inside information for a second there. I think it could be argued that recent evidence shows the Steelers watch less film on defensive backs than other teams based on the poor performance of the defensive backs drafted in the Tomlin era.

I didn't like the pick. We have Sean Davis and Morgan Burnett already who are both better suited to play in the box. The kid is very athletic but doesn't play the pass very well (watch the WVU tape). He will be a decent box safety someday maybe, but did we need another box safety? I honestly don't see a free safety on our current roster who can reliably play deep half in a cover-2 shell or single high in cover-3.

He is also coming off a shoulder injury that was significant enough to end his season.

I also feel that we could have traded back and still gotten him in the second. I base that only on my own opinion after watching YouTube film. I only had time to watch film on safeties and ILB this year because I figured those were our glaring needs. I am certainly no scout, athough it seems that many "experts" agree with my assessment. To be honest when I watched the film on four of his games after watching the WVU game in person, I immediately dismissed him as a box-only guy and lumped him in with the likes of Harrison out of Alabama and Allen from Penn State. I feel like we could have traded back and still very easily gotten one of those three players (and many more like them).

So my assessment:

The bad:
    Doesn't fill a need because he can't play free
    Struggles in pass coverage
    Significant recent injury
    Poor value

The good:
    Seems like a nice kid from a good family

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I will barely sleep tonight.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    You barely will.

I may never even close my eyes to do so ever again. :lolol:

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Someone actually asked him at his press conference if he felt that Shazier stole his thunder. Very impressed with how he handled the question and was humble and the same time understood the gravity of what had taken place and what a special moment it was to have Ryan hand him the Jersey. Very nice young man and handled the media very well

11. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Unless it's an easy pick like Decastro was.. Steelers usually suck In the 1st round

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Umm, you kind of missed on this one.

14. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    So, Harrison and Reid were still there at #60. Pretty big reach for Edmunds at #28. Hope the kid is a player.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Just this one?

16. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    The same people from 1970 aren't coaching the team not are they in nf ront office. This is an entirely different regime and this is also a different NFL.

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Artie Burns/ Sean Davis Repeat. Too high.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    2.5 sacks, 1 FF, 8 interceptions, 281 tackles in two years by these two. yea they stink. :facepalm::cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Ok, just for ****s and giggles:

- Short for the NFL and is not a real ballhawk.
    - Misses plays because he is out of position.
    - Does not read keys well and diagnose.
    - Struggles covering man deep.
    - Plays out of control and lacks great change of direction.
    - Skills will translate to the NFL, but measurables might not.
    - Prefers setting up a well-timed hit to break up a play over going for an interception.
    - Does not have great playing speed and range.

These draft notes read like a Mitchell clone, but in fact it's Troy Polamalu's pre-draft assessment.
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft/tracker/player?id=6771

Obviously not comparing Edmunds to Troy, but more that a long list of negatives is always going to make a pick look bad.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Mac you can't honestly say your happy with these 2 picks up to this point. Maybe

Tom Bradley can coach them up. But just as in this case of this pick, Burns and Davis were picked a round or in Davis case 2 rounds

to high. Burnett and Hayden are the only db's I have any confidence in. I am hoping Bradley can make a difference with the rest.

22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I also stated from a historcial context no less as well. I would imagine the same people from a different regime would not be within the franchise currently either. Notwithstanding though, that is not the point here.

Success in the NFL is not simply dictated upon continuity within coaching staff nor front office but how diligent the owners are in terms of sustaining that success through finding the right regime for the task. This is what constitutes as good ownership and what separates good franchises from bad ones in the NFL.

As I said, the Steelers have the best record since the AFL-NFL Merger and have never posted a losing decade since. This success is thanks in part to the Rooneys as they know what it takes to field a competitive team and sustain a competitive team for years as they draft for the long term and not put all their resources into a box for one season.

Ultimately speaking, Kevin Colbert has drafted very well since 2000; three and potentially five Hall of Fame locks and numerous others who were vital in winning Super Bowls within that time. Had the Rooneys been dissatisfied with Colbert, they would have nevee extended his contract; Tomlin doubly so.

23. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

So your saying heath miller wasnt a first round talent???

24. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    He went to UVA. I'm talking about Va Tech players.

25. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Bruce Smith and Michael Vick went to VA Tech. So did Antonio Freeman, Deangelo Hall, Kam Chancellor. Quite a few other very solid NFL players went to Tech. Edmunds will be a solid pro and could be something special if he responds well to coaching.