1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome To The Steelers Terrell Edmunds

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Mr.HammerZz

Mr.HammerZz Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Couldn't agree more! I'm so excited for this season already! :towel:

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The problem with that is he's not great in man-to-man coverage.

On the other hand, he has a history of missing open-field tackles and taking bad angles in pursuit, so he fits right into what the defense did last season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I like the pick, he has size 6 1/2 217 speed 44.7 40 and had a good college career only hampered by shoulder surgery, 101 tackles 4 picks as a soph his upside potential with new DB coach is very high in my opinion:

NCAA recap
    R.J. White: A 247Sports Composite three-star recruit out of Ringgold, Virginia, Edmunds made eight starts as a redshirt freshman while racking up 34 tackles (1.5 for loss) and seven passes defensed. He broke out the following year, piling up 101 total tackles (4.5 for loss) and intercepting four passes, including one in a Belk Bowl win over Arkansas, and was named honorable mention All-ACC for his fine season.

Edmunds made just 10 starts as a junior due to shoulder surgery but still managed to be named third-team All-ACC after recording 61 tackles (2.5 for loss) with 1.5 sacks, four passes defensed and two interceptions.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Like the player but not at 28. Oh, well. Pittsburgh will always stay put in their drafting position and will always take the guy they want, even if it's a round "early", just to make sure they get him. With three second day picks now, hopefully we'll end up with a nice talent infusion. Still need another body at almost every spot.

5. Mr F

Mr F Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Exactly what I was thinking. Also he gets beat over the top and has trouble locating the ball when his back is to it , so a new Mitchell without the hard hitting ability...although to be fair Mitchell had trouble locating the ball when he was FACING it.

Also, is our 1st round philosophy now: "Well, I heard his brother is really good!" ?

6. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    His explosion numbers are elite. Add that to great tape and we got a good one.

I think it' fitting his Harris Highlight tape is labeled "Most underrated Safety in College football." Quite fitting and accurate.

7. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Picking at 28 is just an early 2nd round pick in my opinion....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    We don't know how it will turn out but this is looking like a Burns type of pick. It was a position of need but a reach at 28, they could have easily gotten him in the 2dn as most analysts had him pegged as a 3rd round selection. My biggest problem is he misses open field tackles a lot, the same problem that most of our defense right now suffers from, lets just hope they get some value in the later rounds as I believe they blew it in the 1st.

9. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    NFL Channel just gave us a C+ on Edmunds pick.

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

The same reason some fans assume that due to "Player A" or "Player B" being on the board and, subsequently, being the "right choice", should be drafted.

That reason? Lack of intution. Some fans elect to do research mainly on prospects alone and ignore the teams themselevs. Some desire the team to draft a player to replace another on the team because they feel that player is underperforming even though that is for the team to decide.

My personal advice for those fans would be to research both prospects and the teams needs in addition towards studying film and dissect exactly what the team is looking for throughout the course of the previous season.

For example, when Shazier went down, we did not have a proper contingency plan in place; our loss to the Jaguars being one of the many examples of that.

Here is another; Pittsburgh gave up more touchdown passes over 50 yards than any other team and were the third worst in passes over 40 yards or more.

That being said, we needed a safety who not only has superb range in terms of speed but also the ability to play in the box.

It came down to two choices; Reie or Edmunds. Here in lies where the misconception begins however. Reid was brought in for a Visit. Visits sometimes are not just workouts. Visits can be getting to know the person. Given Justin's brother's stance in addition towards Pittsburgh's recent history of drafting the "Hearts 'n' Smarts" players, something must have went wrong during the visit.

As such, it was then about mere deducting reasoning soon thereafter. Edmunds was the pick due to not only the player need but character as well. Keep in mind that we were not even one year removed when Reuben Foster elected to become something unspeakable.

Character and player abilitites are main ingredients to finding the next Steelers player in the draft and I do not envision this process changing any time soon.

11. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    And 247 gave us a B, truth is until he plays this season their alphabet ratings dont mean diddly squat....

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    The thing to me is I don`t feel as good about the pick as last year at this time, and that is the bottom line. Was this year`s draft weaker on sure starters? I commented yesterday when our pick was near that I felt like that homeowner on the Little Rascals when he sat down to eat on Thanksgiving Day, but the ravenous boys only left him the turkey`s tail. I still feel that way. It must be a quality of available players issue.

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I read somewhere in one of his draft previews that one of his pros was the ability to cover tight ends. That’s where the Gronk idea popped up.

As you listed, one of the cons was missing open field tackles.

14. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    3rd round talent? Not sure about that. He was a concensus Top 7 safety. And look how the Safeties flew off the board last year. Steelers obviously had him #3. Reid, Bates and Harrison won't last long tonight. I doubt Edmunds would have made it to #60.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  16. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I live in Hokie country and heard the Edmunds brothers former head coach, Frank Beamer, speak at a charity event a few nights ago. Beamer recruited the E-bros to Virginia Tech a few years back and it's an interesting story. He actually went to see the oldest brother, Trey, now a RB with the NO Saints play basketball when he was in high school and said he was the most explosive athlete he'd ever seen. After the game, he met with Trey and younger brothers Terrell and Tremaine were also there. Beamer told Trey that he thought he was a tremendously explosive athlete and he wanted to offer him a full athletic scholarship to come and play football at Virginia Tech. Then...(and this is where it gets good), he looked at Terrell and Tremaine and said that he'd like to offer them full-ride scholarships to VT as well! He said he gave away a heckuva lot of scholarship money that night, lol. Then he said he didn't think he was really going out on a limb much though because they were all great athletes and dad was a Pro-Bowl TE and even mom was a tremendous athlete. He raved about their athletic ability but said that their character even supersedes that. I think we got a good one!

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He does a good job covering big men and yes, he misses some tackles (all teams suffer from this) but he also made 60 total (59) last year. What did we struggle with last year? Stopping the run, this guy excels in the box and can also follow a TE all over the field. If he can take the Gronks, Ertz and Kelces of the world out of a game, the pick is worth its weight in gold right there. He'll also be a ST ace.

His versatility opens up a lot of things they can do with him. A major component of their game plan they lost when Shazier got hurt.
    Hes a very good football player and absolute freak of an athlete. People hung up on rankings. (not saying you).

We also hired a coach whos forte is teaching tackling. Edwards is only scratching the surface. Love the pick.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I like the player...not the pick. I think it was way to early.....Lowest ranked guy drafted in the first round..... Obviously the Steelers had him ranked MUCH MUCH higher than the rest of the world. But bottom line is if this was the Raiders or the Browns we would be mocking them for the reach. This is going to be a case of either the Steelers show they are just that much smarter than everyone else....or this board is blasting them ala Jarvis Jones in a few years.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    What's the biggest knock on him? From what I'm reading, it's tackling technique. Who did we just hire as our secondary coach? Tom Bradley who is Mr. technique. He demands it and knows how to teach it.

You can teach tackling technique but you can't teach explosiveness and athleticism and Edmunds has as much or more of that than any safety in the draft. Let's all chill, sit back and see what happens. :popcorn:

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Here's my problem. You're premise assumes that the Steelers HAD to take a Safety in rd. 1. So, the only two possible picks were Reid or Edmunds. That they allowed the S position to get so out of hand, that the only option going into the draft was to take a S in the 1st. No matter who else was available.
    There were a lot of good players to choose from that could've helped this team without really reaching. Which many people, including myself, believe they did. You may not think so, and that's fine.

Like Hack said, maybe the Steelers are that much smarter than everybody else. I hope so.

21. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    :facepalm::facepalm:

22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Agree. What could possibly go wrong? :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    • Will do the work as tackler but can take the worst of the collision
    • Missed open field tackles have dogged him
    • Takes inconsistent angles to the ball
    • Lunges rather than sliding his feet to close distance on cutting runners
    • Too aggressive in response to route fakes
    • Bites and gets forced into recovery mode
    • Lacks desired instincts and feel for deep coverage
    • Doesn’t get enough depth to help on deep throws
    • Slow to read quarterback and get the jump to range over top
    • Fails to find football when his back is to the ball
    • Missed the end of the season with a shoulder injury that will have to clear medicals
    https://www.nfl.com/prospects/terrell-edmunds?id=32462018-0002-5601-25af-a59d7c8988a5

Classic bad Steeler reach.

24. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I'm glad they actually drafted area of need instead of best available like in the past. My only question is why they didn't do a better package with Oakland. Our 1st and Bryant for their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. We have no 4th round pick. Only 11 picks back and I'm sure he would have been there. Risky though.

I like the pick. Same combine numbers as J Peppers. Only 5 missed tackles in 600 attempts. My only concern is these Va Tech players have limited upside. They are lunch pail hard workers but not 1st round talent. Reminds me of Worilds. He will be a hard worker, solid starter, but no Troy or next level talent. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I think it'll end up being a pretty good pick and a few years from now it'll be cool as well as funny to hear him laugh at the naysayers when he's reading the experts draft day notes on the Dan Patrick show.