1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome To The Steelers Mason Rudolph

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Apr 27, 2018.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I was reading Ed Bouchette's char from yesterday. He was asked a question about Terrell Edmunds. Bouchette responded that he couldn't say because he had never watched Edmunds play.

A man who is PAID to comment about the Steelers for a living didn't know anything about Edmund's on field play. Maybe Edmunds wasn't a cocensus Top 30 pick but he had been linked to the Steelers and was at a position of need.

It just always blows my mind how little people who are paid to comment on football, don't watch or analyze alot of football.

I remember MJD was commenting on a WR at the combine (Gallup maybe) and he made a comment about Gallup in a specific game. Someone else disagreed with him and he responded by saying that he didn't actually see the game and was just going on what he heard.

It's mind blowing how little most media members should be paid attention to surrounding the NFL.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I saw that too. Even more amazing because Edmunds was someone the Steelers met with.

I spoke highly of Edmunds in my mock, so I was quite pleased with the pick, surprised but pleased.

3. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Dobbs got the bulk of the snaps last year because he was competing against another rookie & the Steelers needed confirmation that Dobbs was NFL quality. Landry's #1 backup role was never in jeopardy, Dobbs #2 backup role was basically solidified, that undrafted rookie was used to motivate & push Dobbs. Rudolph is guaranteed the #2 backup behind Landry because of his draft status. Although many hate him, Landry is the only proven QB to backup Ben right now ...so he's safe. I like Dobbs but the Steelers is not gonna carry 4 QBs. Rudolph will get the bulk of the preseason snaps, Dobbs & Jones will clean up the rest, while Ben might play only the first half of the last preseason game ...my prediction

4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree Blast but here is my problem I don't have time to sit down and watch prospects. As a matter of fact I spent less time this year watching games than ever before. So with that said I rely of these so called draft experts to help me learn about these players. Also I love coming here and reading what many here have to say, but with no disrespect to anyone here and I include myself in this but what do we all know over some of these experts? The draft is a crap shoot and I am a big believer in a player fitting or not fitting the team/system.

I know when I watch game film I disagree with a lot of the experts and for every Kareem Hunt I like there are Millers and Hollimans sitting out there as well.....:hehehe:

I was not a very big fan of this draft however this might be the best draft the Steelers had in a long time due to players being drafted to fit our system/scheme. In the end everyone has an opinion and there is a 50-50 chance to be right or wrong and they are pretty good odds right?

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

For me it is no surprise. Not the Terrell Edmunds pick but Ed's insufficient information.

The Sports Media world is consumed upon generating viewership by "hot topics". As such, "top prospects" receive more attention than others. This is how first round talents often sink into the early day two stages of the draft; Myles Jack, Kevin King, JuJu Smith-Schuster and most recently Will Hernandez to name a few.

My issue with these perceptions is that the cognitive biases of both the Travis Syndrome and Hasty Generalization are so abundant and toxic that actual research and infomation gathering become afterthoughts. As a result, football fans who express an interest in the draft yet have insufficient time to research these players often persue articles from people like Ed Bouchette, only to find out he himself has insufficient information. :eek:

6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I like him.

He needs more upper body strength and better throwing mechanics/stances to get more heat on the ball. Also he needs to really work on his short and mid accuracy.

He's got work to do, but he has time.

So there is a lot of potential here.

Definitely a good pick for the 3rd round.

7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The only thing I worry about is the Big 12 stigma which has proof to back it up.

Look at the recent/current NFL QBs drafted early who played college football in this conference....

RGIII
    Andy Dalton
    Sam Bradford
    Ryan Tannehill
    Josh Freeman

These QBs didn't light up the NFL by any stretch. I hope Rudolph plays better than these guys have.

With that said... 3-time Super Bowl winnner Troy Aikman played in Oklahoma, so there is hope.... even if he played decades ago.

Edit: Oh yeah, Kordell Stewart played in the Big 12. And before anybody says he sucked... how many QBs have led their team to 2 conference championships in their careers? The list is short.

8. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I was in agreement with you! Added another line of truth to your tons of Watson examples statement... Yeesh! Hahahahaha the analysts are super faulty year in and year out but everybody falls in love with a certain someone or something and 9 times out of 10 you ain't getting what you thought replication wise. That's why I never get into all the comparisons or listen to much of what the talking heads say. If the kid has the tools and the heart you can make something of him regardless of where he is taken.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Of course not, what fan does have time to watch that much film? It's fine to use draft profiles to help shape and round out your evaluation, my problem is fans who act like those profiles are gospel.

As far as what do we know over these experts? As much and as little. Most of these guys dont have the credentials to get a job in an NFL scouting department.

Here's one of the more well known "experts" Mel Kipper and his famous proclomation. This is from Labriola Q&A chat.

“(Mel) Kiper had (Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy) Clausen ranked as the fourth best prospect in the entire 2010 NFL Draft even though most other draft pundits had the QB projected to go in the second round (Clausen was subsequently selected 48th overall by the Carolina Panthers). At the time, people accused Kiper of being biased since he and Clausen shared the same agent, Gary Wichard.

“But Kiper only dug in his heels further, making this infamous proclamation on ESPN: ‘If Jimmy Clausen is not a successful quarterback in the NFL, I’m done. That’s it. I’m out.’

“Replied (Todd) McShay: ‘What is your time frame, Mel? When do we make that assessment?’

“Kiper: “I want eight years.”

“McShay: ‘It will only take three years, Mel. We can tell inside three years.’

“Kiper: ‘I want eight.’

If Kiper was a man of his word, we shouldn’t have been listening to him last weekend, because Clausen has been out of football since 2015, and during his time in the NFL he played in 22 career games, posted a 1-13 record as a starter, completed 54 percent of his passes for seven touchdowns, 14 interceptions, and a 61.9 rating.

Oh! LOL :lolol:

I wanst being snarky, I really didnt know what your point was :drinks:

• Like Like x 2
  10. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    You're fired up brother hahahahaha all good by me. Board is pretty anti last few days so we're all getting a work out.

And that bit on JC is hilarious!!! I wished he was a man of his word... Along with all the other high profile folks and their knee jerk reactions to other things hahahahahahaha

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Dobbs showed ok for a first year guy IMO.https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/joshua-dobbs-player-stats?seasonType=3 not bad for a very raw QB. Coach T also stated he was getting much better as well . IMO he simply has more talent than LJ , he has a stronger arm and is much more mobile and smarter than LJ . I expect Dobbs to look much better this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    So he can look better in preseason when he plays against vanilla defenses with no game plan and playing their rookies and 2s and 3s, but until he goes against a team in a real game when their starters are in and they have a game plan, only then at that time can you find out if he can play under fire, until then he will remain unproven to me.......

• Agree Agree x 1