1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome To The Steelers Mason Rudolph

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I feel he was drafted into the best possible scenario. If he had to come in and start right away, I think that would be bad with what hes used to playing against. Now he gets to sit and absorb everything and be much more NFL ready in a couple years.

I just hope the Steelers don't find themselves in their own Jimmy G situation eventually.

2. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm hoping for more of the Favre/Rodgers transition than a Brady/Jimmy G/Cassel situation.... well more like Ben riding off into the sunset on his terms and giving Mason a chance to learn..... not the Favre I'm never retiring approach.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

I hope not. I do not believe Tomlin, Colbert nor Mr. Rooney have the "structure" that New England has. That would be the optimistic view from how I have seen it.

We shall soon see.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Honestly I think Ben will retire after this season, this crap of him playing another 3 years is total BS....

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    We could only pray.

6. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Thanks for posting this, NB. That is some top notch secondary talent they are playing there and they looked solid.

You're starting to sway me lol. After watching that cut up, I don't get where the "lack of arm strength" stuff comes from. He threw several deep outs in that video that got there in plenty of time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Likely some people are stating such due to the velocity his throws when they are traveling downfield.

However, for me, if that is really where the issue lies, that issue in itself is really nitpicky as opposed to an actual concern. Arm strength can be developed over time. Accurary on the other hand?

You either have it or you do not. Rudolph has it. Rudolph, Darnold and Rosen have this. Josh Allen does not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Or the favre cold shoulder approach.

9. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I always said I didn't understand the weak arm critique.

Josh Allen and Sam Darnold had stronger arms. Lamarr Jackson too. But Rudolph was as strong or stronger than Rosen & Mayfield. People just think because he is 6'5 235 he should have an Allen/Ben hose.

I have no issues with his arm strength or his ability to slide around in the pocket.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    You're right about that AQL, I've never seen an inaccurate QB suddenly get accurate in the NFL. That's one of those things you either have or you don't.

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

You have no issues with his arm strength or manuverability in the pocket.

Unlike Rosen, Mayfield and Allen, I have zero issues with his leadership abilities. It is one area to be "the guy" within one's program. However, as you know SteelCity, there is so much more than that.

It is tremendously more impressive when one demonstrates the ability to truly stand above others without standing on them. It is tremendously more impressive when one demostrates the ability to walk in front of others without leaving anything behind.

The most impressive aspect regarding such a leader is his ability to perservere through doubt within oneself without second guessing external factors but not losing sight of the task before him.

That is what I admire most about Mason Rudolph. Quarterbacks who have the arm talent, manuverability or the tendencies to study film endlessly are quality traits. However, those who are acknowledged by their peers without forsaking themselves or said peers with the ability to unite and lead them toward a common goal are what constitue as "special talents".

• Like Like x 1
  12. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Well put AQL. I loved Rudolph's tape and all his play on the field. But I kept reading and found out what makes him special is his leadership, character, dedication and passion for the game.

It's why I had him as my #3 QB and frankly liked him even more than Rosen, who I think is a bit of a jerk.

13. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Yeah, I can see Rosen winning the "Geno Smith" award as the first rookie to get punched in the face by a teammate this year.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Unless you have a flawed analysis, such as Deshaun Watson whos accuracy was maligned during the draft.

Either that or he suddenly got accurate.

This is why people shouldnt get too worked up about these draft profiles. Theres tons of Watson examples out there.

Take Edmunds, he supposedly struggles to make tackles meanwhile he missed 5 last season, playing with a bum shoulder no less.

15. SteelerEmpire

SteelerEmpire Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2015
    Woe, pump the brakes. I wouldn't bet the farm on Rudolph just yet. Remember, Landry Jones was prolly an even better QB in college - he's basically become an after-thought now. We still have to see what Rudolph he can do in the real world, on the "pro level"

16. BadwordLebeau

BadwordLebeau Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Not sold on Rudolph. He’ll have to buck a hell of a drought in QB success (or lack thereof) from his conference. It’s too stunning to ignore. I accept your opinion if you feel that plays no part in Rudolph’s future. I don’t agree. There’s a pattern .

The QB with arguably the most NFL success that has come out of the Big 8 or Big 12: Kordell Stewart. Sam Bradford and Andy Dalton are pedestrian. Although Steve Grogan and his neck roll were tough

17. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I think this is a common misconception. Especially those with a Big 12 bias. Now while I agree that the Big 12 simply has not produced enough successful NFL QBs, I think there are big differences between Landry Jones at Oklahoma and Mason Rudolph at Oklahoma St.

Sure Landry Jones put up big numbers at Oklahoma and lead a high powered offense, much like Rudolph.

The fact is Landry Jones was an average QB on a really good team whereas Rudolph and Washington were star players on an average team.

Landry Jones had terrible stretches at OklaHoma. As a Junior, he closed out his season with a 4 game stretch with 1 TD and 6 INTs. He had a game as a freshman where he threw 0 TDs and 5 INTs. Rudolph has nothing like this on his resume.

Also, there were many games where Landry Jones played very poorly but his team was able to overcome it and win. If Rudolph played poorly, the Oklahoma St team was generally so bad they were unable to overcome it and lost.

A quick look at another Big 12 QB, Sam Bradford, shows while productive, he went 0-2 in bowl games and even came out of an injury plagued Junior season. Signs were there that maybe he shouldn't have been the #1 overall type.

Rudolph went 3-1 in bowl games and often played his best when it mattered it most. Even though he only went 1-3 in Bedlam games against their chief rival, Oklahoma, he actually beat them in his first start as a Freshman.

Am I overly optimistic? Sure. But his production, intangibles and leadership lead me to believe he is head and shoulders above other Big 12 QBs who have not panned out. Rudolph will be the exception to the rule when it comes to Big 12 QBs having success in the NFL.

• Like Like x 2
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I think Ben just needs a hug.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Yeah Kirk Cousins comes to mind, some draft profiles had him with average arm strength and only a draft prospect as a backup, he was drafted in the 4th round and is now the highest paid QB with a fully guaranteed contract, interested to see if he earns that 3 year 84M contract with the vikes...

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  20. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I saw Ben came out and said he wants to play 3-5 more years yesterday...... The article compared him to Tom Brady playing this year at 41..... only problem is.... Ben gets HIT and HIT HARD..... I'd like to be optimistic and see him play effectively for 3-5 years too.... but not sure he'll be able to stay healthy that long.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben takes less punishment than when he used to. 4 of the last 5 seasons have basically been full seasons with one 12 game season sandwiched in there. Last year he sat the last game, year before that he played 14 games then that 12 game season and 2 full seasons before that one.

Will be interesting to see if the hits mount up again with a new OC. I always said the best thing about Haley was keeping Ben healthy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Sounds like the Bengals were certainly discussing drafting Rudolph until the Steelers jumped them.

Marin Lewis joked that "The Steelers must have had the room bugged."

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Oh I am sure. :lolol:

Should have drafted him in the second Cincy if you really wanted him like you claim.

24. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    For every deshaun Watson, there are a 100 Vince youngs.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Whats your point? Those scouting reports are super faulty.

Bens was wrong
    AB's was wrong
    Troys was wrong
    Beards was wrong
    And at least part of Edmunds is wrong already in regards to tackling.

Could go on and on.

People shouldnt get worked up about them. While the Steelers arent perfect, I'll trust in a team of people who spend all year pouring over prospects than I will ever put into draftniks.