1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome To The Steelers Mason Rudolph

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Apr 27, 2018.

1. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Going to the practice squad means you are not on the team. You are not on the 53 man roster and you do not earn at least league minimum pay. Any team can sign you when you are on the practice squad.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

You cannot believe the Steelers got their heir apparent?

I cannot believe you are optimistic about Mason Rudolph; anything both Colbert and Tomlin enact upon notwithstanding.

Seriously though Heinz...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Well yeah. Cut means you are unemployed. They ain’t not none the same.

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Well yeah. Cut means you are unemployed. They ain’t not none the same.

5. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018

If Dobbs gets cut he isn't owed any money except guaranteed money but Dobbs was a 4th round guy so it's probably nothing. The contract could be for 100 years, he only gets paid for the time he was actually on the team.

6. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If you're Josh Dobbs, who they tell me is a pretty smart guy, and the Steelers cut you - which they have to do before they can put you on the practice squad- why would come back to them?
    They'd still have 3 QBs that they like better than you, including their QB of the future. If you can't find another team that will sign you to their 53-man squad, you'd be better off signing onto the practice squad of another team that's looking for a young QB to develop.

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    What are the rules of the PS? Can you refuse? I thought if another team claimed you they had to put you on the 53 man and not their PS?

8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    True. Although you'd probably also be looking at how well you were stacking up against those guys in practice (i.e. if you believe you can unseat one of them), and considering the likelihood of injury during the season, versus what your agent is telling you about interest from other teams, and the likelihood of breaking into another squad. There are a fair few QBs that will be on the practice squads who have shown more in college than Dobbs. So finding that other team looking for a young QB may not be all that straightforward.

I still think Dobbs gets cut unless his development is phenomenal, and its a shame for him as a victim of circumstance (given that Rudolph was a steal). If Jones goes, it will be either due to cap implications, or him expressing a want to pitch for a starter job somewhere else, in my view.

9. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    During the season, if a team claims you from a PS then they have to put you in the 53 straight away.

I don't think you an refuse if that happens?

But preseason you can refuse - seem to remember we had a guy who snubbed our PS last season, but can't remember who it was.

10. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Ok so I didn't read this whole thread so if I repete someone I am sorry. It was talked about in another thread by Mac I do believe but here is the thing about cutting Jones. He is in his last year of his contract and it would free up 1.9 mil in cap space combined with Wilcox's 3.1M is a nice chunk of change.

Also we will have Dobbs and Mason to back up Ben at a great price for the next 3-4 years. Now many want to say well we are in a win now and we don't want to lose Jones as an experienced back up. I understand that but let me say this just how confident are we if Ben goes down for the playoffs in LJ? I am thinking Mason will get a lot of reps and could be just as good if not better than LJ. Add to that the fact that Dobbs will be in his 2nd season it is not like he hasn't been learning.

In the last 2 years we spent a 3rd and 4th on QB, we are a teamthat builds from the draft and takes advantage of our draft picks. We just can't let Dobbs go with not knowing if he can offer something or not. I think pre season will be big for Dobbs and if he can show he can be back up material than I think LJ has to go. jmo

11. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    For some reason I thought LJ had longer on his contract. If not, then there's certainly that's a tick in the "keep Dobbs" box.

12. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I like the pick. Barring injury Mason will determine which QBs are kept.

Cajun

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Last year LJ signed a 2 year deal........

14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    They dont much care about who they cut, they cut 3rd round pick kraig urbik before he ever played in an NFL game, cutting a 4th rounder isnt going to bother them if they see dobbs as expendable...........

• Like Like x 2
  15. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Practice squad is a pretty big pay cut.... if you go from Roster to PS, you might as well look for a real job in the real world.... Call it a demotion or cut, it's effectively the same thing. But yes, a PS player would have to be added to the acquiring team's 53.

16. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Personally, I don't know any better than anyone else here whether or not Rudolph will pan out. I'm happy that he sounds like a Steelers fan, and hopeful that he has time to sit and learn to become an eventual starter.... but as a fan... I'm fairly short sighted, and don't think this pick or this entire draft will benefit us THIS YEAR. 5 years from now, who knows, but right now I don't see how this draft makes us any better in 2018, and that's all I care about as a fan.

17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Very good point add 3rd round Davis to that list as well

18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It was Demarcus Ayers ,Thig. He signed with New England because he thought he had a better shot making it on their 53 than he had here. Ironically with all their injuries at wr he still never got called up from the PS.

19. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    That’s the one! Thanks.

I’d completely forgotten about Ayers. Obviously Belichick did as well....

20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    The difference is we waived Ayers and he didn't sign to our practice squad Ayers turned down the Steelers offer and signed with the Cheats. If he had signed our offer the Cheats would have had to put him on their 53. :smiley1:

22. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Maybe, but in all honesty there'd have to be a team more interested in Dobbs then the Steelers! With an established vet (Ben), the backup with some game experience to fill-in in a pinch (jones), and the QB-of-the-future development project (Rudolph), Dobbs ain't never gettin on the 53 man roster. And if there's no better option than that in the NFL, then it's time for Mr Dobbs to call Boeing and begin designing aircraft.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Great point.

24. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    People forget... Ben was lucky to be #2 on the depth chart in 2004. Charlie Batch got hurt in the off-season of '04. Brian St Pierre was the #3 and Maddox was hurt in the Ravens game. The rest is history. Rudolph will have 2 experienced QBs ahead of him on the depth chart... if everything goes as planned.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  25. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011

When looking at Mason Rudolph & James Washington, this really is the most important game to watch.

People can say all they want about Big 12 defenses, and by and large, they are correct. However, this Colorado secondary boasted an I'm pressie secondary. #4 Chidobe Awuzie (2017 2ND round pick), #23 Ahkello Witherspoon (2017 3rd round pick), and #26 Isaiah Oliver (2018 2nd round pick). That is NFL talent. Awuzie and Witherspoon have already had NFL success and Oliver may be the best of the bunch.

This game has highs and lows for Rudolph and Washington.

Washington actually has 2 bad drops in this game. That being said, he fed Awuzie his lunch most of the game for over 100 yards and a TD.

Rudolph himself had over 300 yards and 3 TDs. Rudolph is pretty sharp. He takes a bad sack and has a couple of bad throws. On the other hand he caught a ball, shows better mobility in the pocket than given credit for, and even had a nice QB sneak.

If there was one game I wanted people to see our 2 newest picks in, it was this one, simply because of the talent they played against.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2