1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome To The Steelers Mason Rudolph

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Apr 27, 2018.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Rudolph is similar to Bradshaw and Roethlisberger. Raw, but with a helluva lot of potential and pure athletic ability. Big 12 QBs usually stink...but hopefully Rudolph will break the trend.

Bradshaw and Roethlisberger both had great defenses early in their careers. Rudolph won't have that luxury.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m seeing Dobbs going to the practice squad. No reason to cut him.

3. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Going to the practice squad is getting cut.

4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    And do you think teams needing a QB due to injuries, or just find him to be a second year QB with potential are going to let him stay on the PS, they can just sign him off PS without losing a draft pick and get him cheap on his rookie contract, he will be gone in a week two weeks max.........

5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly . No way he is on the practice squad and no way will he be cut after only 1 season . LJ will be cut ,

6. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Ben and Fichtner wont be on board with cutting LJ, so I dont expect to see that happen..........

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    For many Steeler vets (already gone + pending releases) the new Football League won't get here fast enough (Spring 2019).

8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Are you guys seriously over valuing Dobbs or vastly over estimating what other teams might need on their final 53?

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m saying vs cutting him flat out. But if someone signs him off the practice squad they gave to put him on the roster. That isn’t real likely but possible. Cutting him is 100% gone.

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Huh?

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    An athletic QB with a pretty good college career isnt in jeopardy of being plucked from the PS?

Someone would put him on their depth chart, Thorn. Even if its as a 3rd string QB.

I doubt Steelers cut him, I never thought they drafted him as a BU with Landry already filling that roll. I think they drafted him because they saw starter potential.

12. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I really can't see them cutting Landry this year unless Rudolph absolutely kills it at training camp.

From what we saw of Dobbs during preseason last year, he was very inaccurate and I don't think they would want him as the primary backup to Ben.

Total guess, but I'd think Dobbs gets cut then signed to the PS. Based on the film he put out there last preseason I don't think any other team will poach him.

13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Based on what speficially?

14. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    He's Ben without as much arm. His throwing motion is Ben and he talks like him too.
    I like him as much or more than others in this draft taken rounds earlier so no problem there.
    The problem will be hanging onto him if he's any good and if Ben plays past the 3 year mark from this day.

• Like Like x 1
  15. D0bre Shunka

Jan 24, 2012
    The rocket scientist can get on with his life's work which is great for him.
    I'm a football fan and a space enthusiast so both are great to me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Ben isn't playing past 3 years. That would put Ben at 40. We've got Ben 1 maybe 2 more seasons. If by the grace of God, they win the Super Bowl this year, he walks. If this kid is as good as the coaching staff thinks he is, he's in a great situation to sit behind a hall of famer for 1-2 seasons. I love this pick a lot. Its low risk, high reward.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. D0bre Shunka

Jan 24, 2012
    If you say so. I'm not so sure Ben hangs it up as cleanly as many think. We shall see. Love the enthusiasm but taking a QB will never be defined "low risk".

Still, dare I say? He's my favorite QB of this class. Time will tell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    It's gonna take years to get the D back to where it was 10 years ago. One draft is not going to matter much. They really need to switch to a 4-3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    A couple of notes for people who look at PFF analytics. I use them as a tool but I think overall it is dangerous to completely buy in to analytics. That's how Baker Mayfield ends up going #1.

Rudolph was #1 in this draft class as a deep ball thrower.

He was #1 on 3rd downs.

He was #2 when throwing under pressure.

I noticed alot of this on tape and it' why from a character standpoint, I love him. I' not predicting the success of these guys but it' why I have thrown around names like Peyton Manning, Phillip Rivers and Tom Brady when talking about Rudolph.

He has Manning's attention to detail and passion for the game. Similar "weak" arm. His play reminds me most of Rivers. Nick Hardwick, the ormer C of the Chargers also saw alot of Rivers in Rudolph. Rudolph just has those intangibles that Brady has. The bright lights and the big moments won't phase him.

Still super excited aboutt this pick almost 48 hours later.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Some people.compare him to Sam Bradford...which is a good thing I've always liked him. He's Ben with a brain

21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    On 93.7 the Fan,Rudolph said that it's not Ben's job to teach him, but for him to learn from Ben. I like that. Hope he is our #2 out of camp. I still can't see Dobbs not falling on the sword,but after camp is done that is. His skill set does not translate to the Offense they run. He would be better suited on a team with his skill set. Oh, and he isn't starting material. Not sure about the practice squad since he is signed on the active roster until 2021. If they cut him i'm sure he gets the money that's owed to him. Then they can sign him to the practice squad? Not sure about that. Here are the contract details for Dobbs:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/joshua-dobbs-21877/

22. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    There is hope for Rudolph to be great - obviously Brady 192 pick and Montana 3rd round 82 pick.
    However, not a lot of QBs make the grade as a backup let alone a starter.

www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?position=QB&type=position

23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I don’t care about stupid grades, Rudolph has the “it” factor. Come quote me later please. He’s our next star

• Like Like x 2
  24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Heinzmustard predicting the D will take 10 years translates to it being great next season :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I know. :thumbs up:

I was expecting similar verbal retort. I was a lot more curious as to see how the semantics would be.

Turns out that was very... well...

[​IMG]