1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome To The Steelers Mason Rudolph

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Apr 27, 2018.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Steelers stuck it to the Bengals, and moved up to grab the guy they'll likely groom to take Ben's place when he hangs up his cleats. Probably one of the most NFL ready QBs in the draft in terms of intelligence and maturity.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  3. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This should be the end for LJ. The Team won't keep 4 and they wont give up on Dobbs in just 1 year.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. xplatformjedi

xplatformjedi Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2015
    FINALLY.

I was done with Landry two years ago.

Welcome Mason. Hopefully you get a full two years of preparation behind big Ben. LOVE the pick.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    For a QB who leads in the deep pass TD department, makes me scratch my head on why scouts say he doesn't have a strong arm.

6. xplatformjedi

xplatformjedi Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2015

It shouldn't matter. He's got two years to learn the offense and he's already familiar with the #2 WR pick. Hopefully he can learn to make quick reads. I'm really not worried about his arm strength. He's the QB of the future.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    He was my #1 target since September until Ben said he was coming back. To get him in the 3rd is a steal.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. swann_88

swann_88 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    so we'll have Ben and 2 kids who never played a game
    got to be praying for Ben to stay healthy

9. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Clearly our best pick of the draft

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Ben never played a game until Tommy Maddox got hurt. Oh wait, that was the first game of the season.

Tom Brady had limited reps before Bledsoe was hurt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    LJ not going to lead the Team to a bunch of wins either if Ben goes down . Might as well get the future guys reps .

12. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It's not like Landry lit up the scoreboard. So, what pick did we lose to get Mason?

13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Really? They kept a giant of a project at NT, and didn't dress him for a single game and then resigned him to a one year deal. They also kept a rb who made the 53 and never used him beside KR duties only to drop him in week 10 and bring back Fitz. Some thing tells me a QB that they have invested over 5 years in knows the terminology and will have some passing knowledge of the playbook and has won games might have a leg up on the project guy they drafted last year. But who knows we could go full Brownie.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Hallelujah good night AMEN toodles LOLandry

15. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    I watched the Oklahoma St. highlights tape "Me, Myself, and I":

The arm is fine, it's not Josh Allen or Flacco strength but it doesn't have to be. It looks to me like he's trying to throw with too much touch, as if he doesn't want to throw it too hard. He can pull back and really fire it at times on crossing routes and in the red zone but doing that takes him a tiny bit longer to release the ball. I think he's going to have to learn to be more consistant with his throwing speed and put it on more of a line.

He seems very immobile in the pocket, kind of like Ben, and he runs like Ben, awkward, very slow to get going but he has okay speed.

Footwork seems good, always set his feet and always throws off his back foot.

I didn't see him look to the second read very much but he didn't have to.

His accuracy deep is very good, maybe even exceptional. He puts it over the heads of defenders where only the WR can get it, but sometimes he underthrows the outside and crossing routes and the WR's have to adjust, which doesn't make any sense to me because those are easier throws.

I think he needs to really have his timing down with his WR and TE to have early success.

The highlight tape didn't show him getting much pressure at all. He had time to throw it.

He seems to be a lot like Ben.

• Like Like x 1
  16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    When Ben started he hadn't played a game either.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    Mason Rudolph:

Completion percentage:

57% in 2014

62.3% in 2015

63.4% in 2016

65% in 2017.

TD to Interceptions:

6 to 4 in 2014

21 to 9 in 2015

28 to 4 in 2016

37 to 9 in 2017

QB Rating:

154 in 2014

149.1 in 2015

158.9 in 2016

170.6 in 2017

Sacks:

I think he is a lot like Ben. He tends to hold on to the ball too long but doesn't make a lot of mistakes with it.

18. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Dobbs goes. Jones stays. It will happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    Oklahoma State vs Pitt

Deep crossing pass, throws with touch, nice pass that WR drops but it needs to be on a line.

Overthrows an easy RB screen. WTF?

Good throw to a spot, WR drops it.

Rudolph feels pressure, rolls out, he throws a duck that is dropped. He was trying to do too much, just run or throw it away.

Rudolph feels pressure from behind and tries to turn to his left and throw to a WR on the left side of the field, pass incomplete. He should have just taken the sack. In the NFL that pass is a pick six.

Next pass is a bit of a lob but it's complete, TE runs for a TD. Way too much touch on the pass. It has to be on a line.

Nice pass to slot WR, on a line.

Next pass is a lob to WR on sideline, WR misses it.

Next pass, nice lob to RB screen. He puts touch on the ones that need it but he needs to fire passes more on a line for deep ones.

Next pass, lot of pressure, Rudolph spins and rolls left, still looking downfield when he probably should just run, he throws a pass and gets hit, pass is to an open WR for a big play TD, just like Ben.

Next pass is a quick pass to WR, complete.

Next pass, red zone, has time, fires it to open guy in middle of end zone for a TD. He can fire it when he needs to.

Next pass over the middle is on a line, complete.

Next pass is somewhat deep, middle of field, pass is on a line, no lob, complete and off to races for a TD.

Next pass is to WR near sidelines, complete, pass is on a line.

Next pass is on a line, middle of field, complete, off to races.

Next pass is deep sideline pass, lob pass, good accuracy but I think, once again, it has to be on a line.

Next pass, Rudolph overthrows wide open WR moving to sideline.

Next pass, quick pass to slot WR, on a line, complete.

Next pass, has time, looks to 1st read, then 2nd read, pulls back and throws it on a line to his left, complete pass with good coverage.

Next pass is a huge lob backshoulder throw to WR near the sideline, complete. I just don't think you can do that in the NFL and get away with it.

Next pass, has time, nice pass over the middle, not a lob pass but not a laser either, complete, off to races for a TD.

Next play, backed up in your own red zone, throws a huge lob to WR on sideline, complete off to races. Doubt that will work in the NFL.

Next pass, has time, throws it to wide open WR, complete.

Next pass, easy throw to WR on right sideline, no coverage at all. Pitt's defense is Pop Warner.

Next pass, somewhat quick throw over middle to TE in end zone but TE doesn't look back for ball and it is intercepted. TE was double covered so it was a bad decision by Rudolph but it was late in the game and they were up 49 to 14.

Almost all of his throws are to his right side or middle of the field. He rarely looks to his left. He never takes the ball from center. He can throw it with speed but he only does that when he has to. He needs to learn to throw every pass with more speed and he absolutely has to have his timing down with all of his WR. If the WR doesn't run the route correctly it's going to be intercepted in the NFL.

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He will be NFL ready in 2021, Ben will probably retire after the 2020 season.

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    So you want a inexperienced backup QB? Landry is more capable right now than Dobbs and Rudolph.

• Like Like x 1
  22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    But they had a veteran in Maddox if Ben struggled.

23. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

If that's the case then they should throw him out there for trade bait and at least get something for him.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Landry was an inexperienced back up. Im sure you havent forgotten the gripes about his games.

Dobbs has a year under his belt now and will get the bulk of the snaps in preseason and they will base a decision off of that.

• Like Like x 1
  25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Dobbs should be traded, a waste of a 4th rd pick.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1