1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the Steelers Kenny Pickett

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Apr 28, 2022.

1. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    Let's hope that's why he was in tears. Maybe it was the thought of playing under Canada? or behind that still below average OL?

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I wasn't wanting them to take a QB this season, but this is a good pick. Welcome to the team Pickett.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    well, this is it
    Canada had NO PLAN, NO offense all season long. Worst I had seen since early 90's

I think he sucks - but we will see.

MikeyT and Rooney OBV liked the show last year!!!!

4. Michael E

Mar 2, 2022
    The Saints are in a better spot before the draft with Winston than we were with Trubisky. I think QB wasn't quite a pressing need for them. They're likely looking at what is left of the crop this year to improve their QB depth and give the new guy a year or two to grow and learn.

They had MORE holes due to a massive over-the-cap issue, so they couldn't really afford to take a QB in round 1 this year. If they don't nab a Corral or the NC guy, then its probably wait until next year...or trade a 3rd or 4th for the Cleveland backup (they ain't getting a first or second for a below average NFL QB).

5. Michael E

Mar 2, 2022
    I feel like others that he had a one glory year, no real upside left, but he does appear to be ready now and ready to hit all the passes from 0 - 30 yards without issues. He is mobile enough to have some QB designed runs, rollouts. So is Trubisky. They match well as starter/backup in case one gets hurt, they won't have to drastically change philosophy.

While I might have liked to get a better talent at 20, honestly the next 10 picks, only 3 or 4 looked appealing. Cine was a steal late in round. He is a complete package of a safety, smart, fast, agile and tackles VERY well. Karlaftis lasted that long being he was considered 2nd or 3rd best Edge guy on most lists is a gift for the Chiefs (Steelers could use an upgrade on ROLB, but a luxury they probably couldn't afford). I like Linderbaum, and I think center and OT are still our worst positions on offense, but him being "just" 290lbs is a worry given how poorly Green faired getting rolled.

Cine or a DB would have been nice. OL was picked clean, so dreams of an OT were crushed. I didn't realize Penning was a penalty machine, so maybe Saints nabbing him was a gift to us? I love his nastiness, but if he's going to hold or get 15 yd PF twice a game, not good.

When I look at who we could have taken versus the shot a good starting QB for a few years (maybe above average if just outside of top 10), that does make more sense after a night to sleep on it. I also like we have TWO QBs, and Trubisky still holds a mild level of upside and is similar athletically to Pickett. I hope the competition makes them both good QBs, heck, maybe we can even turn around and trade Trubisky after a couple of good starts next off-season for a 3rd or 2nd? Never know.

6. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Remember, they also had a 1st round grade on Rudolph. Not to rehash my previous comments, but outside of Ben, Colbert hasn't drafted QBs well. I don't really see that as being really disputable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Exactly, everyone is acting like we spent big money on Mitch. Right now Mason's $4.0 million cap hit makes him the most expensive QB on the roster. (Trubisky $3.6 million cap expense for 2022)

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

I was wrong we will get the obligatory pictures of Da'burg city tour.

• Like Like x 3
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hell No. I want SB wins.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm going to call this now.

Kenny will one day lead a miraculous come from behind, game winning drive in a playoff game or SB. When he does, I'm submitting the suggestion we call it "Pickett's Charge."

Yes. I know the real Pickett's charge was a disaster. Still a cool name.

• Like Like x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You Ba$tard$. LoL

12. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Yikes! Hope our young Pickett doesn't get as many men killed.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Do you realize how much of a crapshoot drafting and developing these players is?

14. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Looking like Justin Herbert's twin. Welcome Big boy :)

15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Those weren't first-round picks. His record with quarterbacks taken in the first round is damn good.

I still think a lot of that first-round grade stuff on Rudolph was the team trying to sell a pick that drew some criticism. If you look at the video of Tomlin calling Pickett last night, I don't think there is any bluffing going on. I think they genuinely love the pick.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Pickett press conference is live on Steelers.com now if anybody is interested.

17. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Of course I realize that. So what's your point? Are you arguing that Colbert's QB picks outside of Ben have been good picks?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Didn't like the pick at all,I think it's gonna set them back unless... Trubisky plays really well like I think/ hope then...You have a BIG decision to make...

If Trubisky is playing really well AND they're winning... You're not putting Pickett in, 1st rounder or not..then what...

You have Jordan Love situation...He sits there for 2-3.....4 years...If this is the case, you WASTED a first round pick!

But...It's over now, it's done. So gotta root for the Guy,and hope he surprises ME, and plays well...And we hit on the rest of this Draft...

Go Steelers!

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Do you actually? I don’t think you do. If you did you wouldn’t be throwing out this list of names as if it had any bearing whatsoever on Pickett.

20. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The Steelers have had only four 1st round QB picks since 1970. The Browns have had about 35.

Bradshaw
    Malone
    Roethlisberger
    Pickett

Am I missing anybody?

• Like Like x 1
  21. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    No doubt. The only other 1st round QB pick by Colbert was hit out of the park and best draft pick of his career. Maybe someday the same can be said of the Pickett pick. We'll all wait to see. There have been a lot of head scratchers on Colbert non 1st round QB picks.

And for record, I never questioned Pickett being the best QB in the draft. I just didn't like picking a QB (any QB in this draft) at #20.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Ok whatever bro. Choose your narrative and go with it. Jeezuz H.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I get that. Like I wrote earlier, I would have rather had Linderbaum or Hill, but I'm fine with Pickett. They seem to believe he is the guy. When the quarterback you believe in falls to you at 20, you don't mess around. You grab him.

My issue with your take last night was saying that he is just like what they already had, which simply is not true. Trubisky's issue in the past was accuracy on intermediate and deep throws. Pickett is an accurate passer at all levels. Rudolph is unathletic and struggles to handle pressure. Pickett is a good athlete who was outstanding under pressure at Pitt.

24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Oh, so pick #20 isn’t worth a franchise QB if you only get him for 12 years instead of 13 or 14? Yeah… that’s rational.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Nope. Gotta be 16+ years. Sorry.