1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the Steelers Chase Claypool

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by nor, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't disagree with what he was saying or discount the expertise of the author, but I'm not sure about the non-homer thing. The piece you linked was under the heading IrishBreakdown. The author, Bryan Driskell, is listed as an editor and analyst for Sports Illustrated/Irish Maven. There is a definite Notre Dame slant to it.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Doesn’t make him a homer. I didn’t detect any.

Compare this to Chris Simms review.

3. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I hope we are smart about technology use with players. There can be plenty of teleconferences, playbook study & discussion, workout assistance, and so forth. No, he's not going to catch balls from Ben daily but lots of other things can be worked on.

4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It speaks to bias. Just because he does a better job of putting his aside doesn't mean it isn't there. I'm more interested in the opinions of people who aren't locked into the Notre Dame side of things.

5. andy32

andy32 Member

Apr 25, 2020
    I think this year more than any other you’re going to see a wide range of where these guys are ranked due to obvious limitations in the scouting process. I’ve seen Claypool anywhere from rounds 1-3. To tell you the truth I’ve seen wildly different WR draft projections just about everywhere I look. Other than Lamb and Jeudy being the cream of the crop there doesn’t seem to be much consensus on the next 8-10 players. I guess what I’m saying is that I could probably find an article or snippet that loves all of these guys and one that isn’t impressed.

My only worry for Claypool is that our OC won’t put him in a position to showcase his strengths. I know we had awful qb play last season but Coach Randy didn’t exactly inspire confidence in the fan base.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No it doesn’t and surprised you would say that.

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It does. Good beat reports are usually great at understanding what is going on with a particular team, but I wouldn't consider them the best source when it comes to comparing the guys on the teams they cover to the other top players in college football.

Going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It may be true and somewhat specific about this year, but honestly nearly every year the consensus on many players varies widely after the top 1-15 or even 20. The media 'experts' certainly do not have access to every (or any) team's boards. Some years the depth at one position may push quality players in the position down further in ranking, while lifting relatively weaker players up because there is a premium need in that position.

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    It suggests that a journalist can’t be a professional and offer an unbiased opinion just because he has some kind of link to the topic. Seems a bit unfair.

You covered the Steelers, is that how you’d characterize your writing? Biased.

At any rate, you can tell that is a very fair evaluation that offers both criticism and compliments. Matches up with a lot of what I have seen written.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I think it is safe to say that Chase will have a bigger impact than others believe. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Immediately. Ben will love him, send him deep, big target to put it up for in the red zone, total mismatches in the slot.

Can’t wait to see him and Ebron in the end zone, Ben will be drooling.

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Claypool will help the Running Game as well contrary to popular belief. The fact is that, in today's NFL, the pass can help the run should there be an option to warrant such. Claypool being a deep threat will force teams to either add another defensive back and spread out the defense or back off coverage wise.

That creates a big opening in the inside or even the outside should the Receivers be able to block. All of our Receivers can. Not just Ben will be happy but Conner and McFarland too. :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    How about "22 personnel" on 1st and goal - McDonald & Ebron at TE, Watt & Connor/Snell in the backfield, Claypool at WR. What does the defense counter with? If they go big, we spread their coverage out, and at least one of the TEs gets matched up with a LB. If they go small to defend the pass, we go tight and run Connor or Snell behind Watt.

• Like Like x 2
  14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

Unless the team has a Jamal Adams, Derwin James or Isaiah Simmons, good luck. Even then, they alone can only do so much. Pittsburgh's Red Zone just got boosted in a big way.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2020-4-29_17-31-44.gif

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That looked to me like more of a fan service page than something you might find on The Athletic or under the regular coverage on national magazine websites. The line between fan blog and journalism can be a little blurry on those.

I'd say my work covering Pitt was a better comparison. I didn't feel that my writing was biased, but I didn't see enough of college football nationwide to be able to compare Pitt players to those at programs across the country. Pitt wasn't really much on the national stage at that point, so it wasn't an issue.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Never step on the tracks when a train is coming through. Beast Mode.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Despite his speed, Claypool is still going to have to prove what he can do as a deep threat. I'm sure you've seen the reports and video as well showing that he needs to get better at tracking the ball on deep throws.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He had 16 receptions on passes thrown 20 or more yards downfield. I’ve seen two different stats that say that is either tied for best in the class or tied for 4th. Either way, tracking is not a problem for him, adjusting to the football is one of his best traits. He had a heck of a lot of practice at it with his QB.

He made big strides his senior year, he keeps getting better. The two concerns with him now are separation and press coverage.

20. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    As abysmal as the O played last year, the running game suffered from the D having little to no fear of the passing game. The O line looked like crap compared to previous years and yes Foster did not help that, but teams constantly stacking the box was the main obstacle in getting any offensive rhythm (OK QB play not withstanding). Claypool does not have to be great, just reliable and decent in a few schemes to start and it will open up so much for the O. Another key is O sustaining drives (and yes completing them for TD's), this has already been addressed in hoe Ebron and Claypool should help. That said, it will also help the D. As good as our D is, by the last few games the number of snaps they had been on the field began to take its tole. Someone wrote that they felt the number if Int's was going to go up, maybe, but even if they maintain the takeaway ratio they had, .the O needs to put numbers up to correspond with that.

21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Chase has apparently chosen 11 as his number 8 + 3, I know that the league has rules on position numbers but I'd be ok with him doning Heeeeeatttth's number.

22. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    DeAngelo Hall's choice for Steelers 2nd round pick. This happened about one month ago.

23. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    The potential problems Elvis is seeing in his film analysis are definitely there. For his size and vertical leap, he doesnt tend to highpoint very well. Still came down with alot of balls in that situation but a competent NFL CB will bust those up.

Lack of separation should be a HUGE concern. Despite his size and speed he rarely separates coming off the line. While this is a problem, he can overcome it if we design the right plays for him. I would argue Juju has a separation problem to but few are better at crossing routes over the middle in zone coverage.

One other thing I worry about that Claypool will need to make an adjustment in the NFL for are his sideline catches. His film is plastered with amazing sideline catches. Problem is he is only ever getting 1 foot down. He will have to position his body better and time it to get both feet down.

I am still very high on this pick but I am tempering my expectations in year 1. Likely below average yardage but above average TDs for a rookie 2nd round WR.

As a comparison. I like him alot more coming out of college than I did Juju. That type of ceiling is there. But I'm giving it to year 2 before he really shines.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Wait... isn’t Hall a DMV guy? Now the pick makes sense.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I know his game came a long way during his college career, which makes me think he can improve on those weaker areas. I'm talking about people watching film not liking how he adjusts on deep balls, though part of that could have been a quarterback putting the ball in bad spots. Assuming Roethlisberger can bounce back, he's going to have a huge upgrade in the passer throwing to him from what he had at Notre Dame.

• Agree Agree x 1