1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the Steelers Alex Highsmith

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 24, 2020.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes definitely have to see...but will we? That’s what I’m hoping. Give them a chance on Sundays. The thing that concerns me is KC is already talking about re signing BD. I know it’s what he has to say and only he knows the truth. I’m just hoping they didn’t take Highsmith knowing they are gonna bring Dupree back already. That IMO is a wasted pick then. Let’s see what happens before I go crazy right? :smiley1:

2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

IDk about wasted pick, imo wasted pick was McFarland. When you are a 3-4 you need to have studs as your OLB's and other than Bud and TJ what do we have? People say in this NFL you never can have enough weapons on offense and that is how I feel about OLB. Like I said I would rather have this pick and if they sign Bud ok we are still strong here. But with the uncertainty of Bud's future I am glad they didn't pass him up. We don't know what will happen with Bud but what we do know is Ben is signed to a big contract next season and Mincah and TJ need big one's as well soon. All are imo more important that Bud and I am hoping that is the way the Steelers are looking at it. jmo

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This makes sense. I did like the idea of drafting a potential replacement for Dupree because I've been saying all along they should tag him for this year, then let him go.

I certainly can't complain about the pick. The guy I wanted at the time was Biadasz, but the Steelers got two more shots at him.

4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think they want to sign Bud long term but Bud might opt for more $$ than they are willing to pony up. If they resign Dupree, Highsmith will still be value as a 3rd rounder. Just might not get much opportunity on defense to grow into a starter.
    Maybe he will totally outclass Dupree in camp, moving him off the olb spot to battle for a spot next to Bush. :hehehe:

5. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    See, I don’t see the value as a 3rd round pick playing 10% of the snaps. I see extreme value if he makes re signing Dupree unnecessary. Neither is a ILB so I’m not seeing any potential of playing next to Bush. Backup OLBs were to be found later in the draft and every pick changes the direction of the picks that follow. I’ll end up extremely disappointed if they drafted a OLB in the 3rd to be a backup knowing they have every intention of signing Dupree.

6. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Alex Highsmith played against some really crappy competition. He had zero sacks against Massachusetts..........Florida international........Middle Tennessee State...................and Bufffalo. He got fat on sacks against Old Dominion. 4.5. I think he might have some upside but I don't get anyone grading this kid higher than a C as a pick. I don't think he sees the field this year unless it's on special teams. So he 10.5 sacks against sub par competition before the old dominion game and had zero in his last game against Buffalo. Not trying to pick an argument with anyone but I don't believe this guy makes the 53 man roster for long. He would have been there in the next two rounds as well. Just my opinion I'm not as smart as some of the guys posting here but he just seems a guy destined to not live up to the competition in the NFL

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He will make the 53, yeah he might not contribute much this season except on special teams. But if Dupree leaves, he will be given the first opportunity to take his spot.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Depends on what ola, skipper and hendrix do as well. This year it's just who can replace chickillo. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I respect your opinion and who knows if he will pan out or not but I like his chances. It will also sepend on how the Steelers use him, if he gets on the field early that will tell me a lot. However I did not watch his game films but I am a big believer in all these post season games like the senior bowl and shrine game. Alex did well at the shrine game, not as good as I hoped but he did well:

Alex Highsmith (EDGE – Charlotte)
    Alex Highsmith

left Shrine Week as the best pass rusher on the field. He had a ton of hype coming into the week after finishing third in the nation in sacks during the 2019 season and he held up to the expectations throughout the week of practice. He checked in well at 6’3″ 247 lbs. with good arm length. Throughout the week Highsmith showed his bend and flexibility in drills and during the game really showed off his burst off the line. Highsmith has a very high chance of being the first player from the roster drafted in April. I think he locked himself into a top 100 pick after this week.

https://www.fantasypros.com/2020/01/2020-east-west-shrine-bowl-winners-and-losers/

Also here is a great article on the type of person he is. I know this is long but look at the dedication he show here. He gave up gaming and tv just to cook for himself to making him a more healthy person. He also was training at his old high school on his own, not bad for a kid who wasn't givin anything....and that lead to a full ride. please read:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/charlotte-edge-rusher-alex-highsmith-prove/

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I appreciate the additional info. We'll see how he performs against the competition he'll see in camp and on the field. No steeler fan hopes for failure for any of these guys and I'm hoping he proves me wrong. The level of competition and his performance in games against inferior teams just gives me pause is all. Here's hoping I'm eating my words in a couple years!!!

11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I totally understand your concerns however like I said he showed it when he made the jump to the Shrine game, yes that is one game. Also I would think being a Steeler fan you would be use to the inferior competition since we drafted how many last year from the MAC and where is our future HOF QB from? IMO I feel competition level is an excuse look around the league and see small school stars left and right no? If a player has it he has it yes coaching will play a big part as well but it all starts with the skill set. jmo :smiley1:

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    For what it’s worth, one of the guys over on PFF had him as the sleeper in this years edge class and had a 91.4 pass rushing grade. The big question is can he do it against better competition and the Shrine game gave a little glimpse that he can.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If you have the time and interest, the 2018 Charlotte game vs. Tennessee is available on YouTube. In 2018 he was playing on the line, and didn't switch positions to the edge until 2019, but the game shows that he can clearly play with the big boys (I summarized the game in an earlier post in this thread). Watching it can provide some ease of mind about the kind of player we got.

Also, keep in mind that he switched to the edge in 2019, and managed to rack up 21.5 tackles for loss and 15 sacks. It's not likely that he'll be much of a contributor on defense in 2020 unless we suffer a lengthy injury to Bud or Watt, but he looks to be a guy with solid potential for 2021 when we may not have Bud.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    All of those ideas are viable. I read an article that Bud would have to wait until TJ gets his money, which essentially means he is not going to be here. Now I do not necessarily believe that, but unless a deal gets done before the July deadline, I do not see them tagging him a second time at what, 20 plus million. If they were to sign him, getting Highsmith for 4 years is still a huge upside if he develops. Having a B/u with that caliber is huge, if he actually did replace on the inside (if that's possible), then we return to to the glory days at LB.

15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes I agree and I am not putting every hope and dream on one game all I am saying is players like this need to prove they can play with the big boys and like you said the Shrine game did show that. He could end up a bust we don't know right but guys from big schools are also bust's as well. I know you like the pick as do I so I really want him to do good.

• Like Like x 1
  16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Same here. Especially if it means spending 16+ mil somewhere else on the roster....

• Like Like x 1
  17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah and then there is that as well........lol