1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to our new coach

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Jan 25, 2021.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Alfredo Roberts was hired as our new TE coach...… He was the chargers TE coach last season, and spent the prior 3 seasons as the chargers RB coach and worked with derek watt…….. Now we just have to give him some TE's for him to actually coach up

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I won’t say it but I have to go look him up.

3. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Congrats coach, at least we didnt promote someone within the org

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Seems to have some good experience on him. This is good. Perhaps this also means we will be looking for a Tight End in this draft?!

I sure hope so! :beg:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Don't know anything about this guy, but wondering why he left the Chargers. Also, why is he doing the same thing for 20 years? Just wondering about someone I have no idea who he is. That's all. Anyone know this coach?

7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Maybe he can teach Ebron how to hold onto the ball!

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

It is another connection to Pep Hamilton at the very least. Hopefully the Steelers can ink the deal with Pep as I believe he could do wonders with Haskins and Rudolph; more so Haskins but I digress.

9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Smart man!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    And still we have no OC that he'll work for? I guess one day all the offensive coaches will have a meet and greet and figure out how they will fit into whatever offense the OC is planning to run.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Saying on Twitter that the Canada hiring is imminent

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Or Block.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe because the Chargers have a new HC, and he might want to hire a whole new staff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    So 2 hires ,3 to go ?

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    3? Tomlin? :lolol:

QB and Oline will be very important, hope they nail this. Hope they don’t give Canada double duty. Need someone that can really get the most out of Rudolph and Haskins. Hoping they can bring Pep Hamilton in for QB but he was interviewed by the Titans for OC, he’ll obviously take that if they offer him the job.

Have no idea who will be brought in for Oline.

16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I wouldn't get my hopes up over Haskins becoming anything worth while, he couldn't read defenses, and had accuracy issues with Washington.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Didnt we lose the Wr coach also? OL, WR, QB,.....

18. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011

19. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It really is not unusual for some coach's to be a position coach their whole career, and even at the same position. You will also see in some cases a position coach with such tenure will be made Asst head coach (over the OC or DC), this may be just a title, but these guys are the ones who are tapped to lead in an interim if the HC goes down for some reason.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t think we lost the WR coach? Did we? I can’t recall.

Bradley is the DB coach that has been mentioned about being replaced but he’s still here.

21. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011

Hilliard's still here....... he interviewed for the lions OC spot, but they hired Anthony Lynn instead

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    In Alex Smiths words, he’s crazy talented.

He hasn’t put in the work, who knows what he is capable of if he starts working hard.

All I know is WFT is not a well run organization, it was no secret they didn’t want to draft Haskins, he was supposed to sit a year and was forced into play his first season. Add in his work ethics, it’s no wonder he did so poorly.

I’m hoping he was humbled by almost losing a golden opportunity and starts taking this seriously.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Bradley was let go as DB coach, Teryl Austin is still here.

• Informative Informative x 1
  24. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    If Jimmy Johnson brings you back that means something about the man's work ethic and talent. Don't know if that means anything about his ability to coach, but if nothing else he's been on championship teams and knows what it takes to be a champion.

• Like Like x 1
  25. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey blackandgoldpatrol.

I hope all is well in your World. All is good here.

Look, this is nothing more than "Musical Chairs" with these coaches. It happens every year. It gives the "appearance" of making change. Now, I am not going to go "sour" on every new hire. However, we do this "dance" every year and we get the same old results. As I have been stating over the last few weeks, our most glaring need to move this team forward is the Offensive Line, OL Coach and most likely a new Running Back.

In some fairness to Conner, it is hard to assess him given the "sub-par" line that he, as well as our other RBs, have been asked to run behind. Given that I am leaning towards an upgrade in RB as well. One major thing I am pretty sure about Conner is that he lacks Instinct and Vision. I think some here (more like most) agree as well.

So, there, I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with sweeping change for both the Offensive Line Coach and those who play on the OL. and possibly a new RB to go. Najee Harris anyone? I will state this again. We ran an "Imbalanced Offense" this season. Depending way too much on a "healing" Ben to carry this Offense. Good enough to play but not to "carry" the team. Even if Ben was completely healthy, it still was a set-up for failure with no running game to speak of. Our team must operate with a balance on offense: Running & Passing. This is Football 101 folks. I would like to think that most of us here understand this concept

I will stop short of pointing fingers at Tomlin but have gone on record as being a huge Tomlin fan during his first five years as our Head Coach. AND ironically as Cowher's players began to ride off into the Sunset so did the quality of our play. Sure we have never had a "losing" season under him.

AND?

We have had some very good teams personnel wise since those first five years but have absolutely nothing to show for it. I am not going to fully blame Tomlin for this NOR am I going to exonerate him.

For those who are true Tomlin Loyalists, who are tired of hearing about him winning with Cowher's players, the evidence is mounting against him. His playoff record over the last eight years or so is abysmal. And given the weapons he has had to work with only inflames the situation even more..

ERA #1: Brown, Bell, Bryant, Miller and others

ERA #2: JuJu, Claypool, Ebron, Washington, Johnson, McCloud
    Conner & Samuels. Both good pass catchers and check downs out of the backfield.

If you cannot make a deep run with that talent above and a "healthy" Ben as your QB, then my assessment = Underachievement. we should have another "Ring" or two with the talent listed above.

I am pulling for Tomlin as I did for Cowher. And yes, admittedly, I was calling for Cowher's exodus as well with his many shortcomings. Again, if Tomlin wants to get from behind the Cowher "Shadows", then he has to win it all with his Brand, his trademarked Team.

I do not like saying it this way because someone had to be standing on the sidelines as the Head Coach but the Super Bowl that Tomlin won, for the most part, does not have his signature on it.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid