1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome back Cam Sutton

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelersFanIrl, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Happy they kept Cam I think he has upside still.

Not sure they will keep anyone else maybe AV because who wants him.

2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I’d happily keep juju for a couple of years at $12m, you’d easily figure out the structure to make it work. I think he is an excellent complement to the group and could really thrive if Canada opens up the offence a bit next year. It would also temporarily take the pressure off them finding a WR in the draft every year, it’s not sustainable to do that without drafting a bust at some point.

There were a lot of projections for Juju to get $15m upwards. I agree he is not really in that league and on top of that the market looks to be saturated. Golladay, Samuel and others are still looking for a job and the number of buyers is dwindling. We may be seeing a bit of a retrenchment in pay for that tier 2-3 group of receivers as they become more replaceable through the draft, every year seems to be a vintage year for wideouts recently.

Juju may have to accept less than he had hoped for, wherever he ends up.

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    They signed Banner and tendered Spillane.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    hassenauer
    finney
    mccloud
    spillane
    sutton
    banner
    edmunds
    collins
    :cool:

5. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Who?

:hehehe:

6. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Looks like a solid Canadian Football League squad. At least middle of the pack.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Signing Cam and potentially losing Hilton is the right move. You get a younger, cheaper player who likely hasn't realized his full potential. Milke Hilton is damn good at what he does, but he's a as good as he's going to be at this point. If they somehow find a way to keep him, fine. If he signs for big money elsewhere, well good luck and God bless but the Steelers made the right decision for their team and cap situation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we don't know that he hasn't reached his full potential yet. hilton is 1 year older and 1 inch shorter and 4 lbs. lighter. they have both been in the league the same amount of time. hardly a big difference in these two except hilton got on the field first with better play. saying he's reached his full potential and sutton hasn't is really going out there sod. :cool:

9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Actually Hilton is set to make big money and a lot more than we signed Sutton for. Stay tuned.

Also Hilton is only a slot guy despite being one of the better ones in the league. Sutton plays both outside and on the inside.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I think they are keeping the better cover corner, and that is more difficult to replace. You're right, though. For some reason, i thought Hilton was like three years older. But for the time being, they are also keeping the more cap friendly player, too. Someone is likely going to pay Hilton crazy money, and they just can't afford him.

11. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    The problem with your theory on this is that you are not factoring in the Free agency overspend factor. You seem to be looking at it from what the player is worth to the team on a average, not what the player is worth to the NFL and the teams looking to make a splash or an upgrade. If you think JuJu is worth 12 million then he will probably get around 15 cause some team will pay more. The problem with Juju is that he sits somewhere in the 1b to 2 range of receiver. He absolutely is not a #1 receiver. But he is a just a hair better than a #2 receiver. This makes him probably the most prime candidate for some team to over pay for him.

Oh and i would almost bet my life that he gets more guaranteed money than the steelers would be willing to commit to for him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree he is the more cap friendly option. keeping at least one of them was a must to keep some kind of continuity in the defensive backfield. i hate to see hilton go especially if its in our division. he and the safeties at cinci will be a formidable secondary. :cool:

13. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    But Hilton has played a lot more than Cam has. It is reasonable to think that Cam will continue to progress as he sees the field more often. We all know what Hilton is at this point. He is great at what he does. More of a safety than a cover corner. Cam Sutton may have the ability to excel at both with more reps.

14. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Well, at least we’ll keep him. Good move.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Not so. Hilton's coverage is very good.

7 interceptions. 32 passes defended. 3 forced fumbles. 5 fumble recoveries. 30 tackles for loss. 9.5 sacks. 237 tackles. In 4 years, not being a regular starting corner.

Steven nelson. 7 interceptions. 52 passes defended. 1 forced fumble. 4 fumble recoveries. 10 tackles for loss. 0 sacks. 291 tackles. In 6 years as a starting full time corner.

The last two years Nelson has 3 int., 17 passes defended, 0 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, 2 tackles for loss, 0 sacks, 109 tackles in his time here. 1918 snaps.

Hilton the last two years has 4 interceptions, 18 passes defended, 2 forced fumbles, 3 fumble recoveries, 14 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks, 116 tackles. 1134 snaps.

Sutton in four years has 3 interceptions, 17 passes defended, 4 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recoveries, 3 tackles for loss, 2 sacks, 73 tackles, in less playing time.

Sutton in the last two years has, 2 interceptions, 13 passes defended, 3 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recoveries, 3 tackles for loss, 2 sacks, 46 tackles. 813 defensive snaps.
    :cool:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  16. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Corey Davis signing for 3yr/$37m adds a little color, some questions as well. $12.5m AAV. Seems he's still living off his draft potential (#5 overall, good size/speed) and a WR1, but less overall production than JuJu.

Still seeing a $12m AAV in his contract if signed this offseason. Like to see the Steelers work out a multi-year.