1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Week 1 Steelers at Patriots

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelcitian, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    There are reasons Tomlin has never won there or rarely anytime we play them. My take is they will be better prepared, i.e. won't leave star receivers or TE's unguarded, and have better discipline via turnovers/ penalties. Playing them close and losing is still a loss and I don't take comfort in that.

If we can actually go in there and pull this off, this will be HUGE paradigm shift in confidence level of this coaching staff. If we don't, I expect we have more of the same as last year. I believe we are just as talented, maybe more so, than they are so it will be the intangibles that sets the two teams apart.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    it's gonna be a nailbiter that's for sure just like the last 2 matchups. New England's slow start vs ours.

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Speaking of nail biters.....how’s the prognosis?

4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    To win, Ben must be "home Ben". I just don't see it being the 1st game of the season. Who will be his new go to guy when he has to force it?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Moncrief and Switzer should get a lot of catches at NE. JuJu will be covered. Ben needs to find McDonald, too.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It looks like the Patriots will be playing a backup center, Hargrave should dominate, which could lead to blitzing up the middle with VW and Bush.

8. decalbomb777

decalbomb777 Active Member

Jan 15, 2019
    I predict we beat them by 8+

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 4
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    They just picked up 3 offensive linemen last week. A backup te as well. This isn't the same team as before up there. :cool:

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  10. HOT MODELS

HOT MODELS Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Pats lost opening night banner raising after Atlanta SB win. Brady tends to be big time rusty first quarter. He'll be thinking of a new O line too. If Brady doesn't show interception then ok. Brady messing' up and not tackling running backs not tackling your running backs who look pretty shifty. I'll be at the game. Was there for fog bowl with Curtis Martin, that was one of my favorite games against Steelers.

Back in the day of Bradshaw and Boston Patriots. I was a Steelers fan. Some serious hall of famers.

11. HOT MODELS

Sep 4, 2019
    Pats defense appears to be opening night ready and good tacklers for linebackers. Pats new left tackle has looked impressive. But Pats may need extra lineman to replace Groks blocking and I keep saying it but Tom is so bad first quarters and first games. Seen enough of his self implosions early games as Kansas City wipe out. Center has played 4 NFL actual games and the lineman have to know their mesh with fellow lineman. Dude from Buffalo not starting from what I hear. There's the way to win. Brady on the 15 rushed and a stupid interception and whole different ball game. Running backs are studs, but Josh calls some real stupid plays as he is not a game plan changer without Billy B. Atlanta Super Bowl he suc-ed. And Pats don't have experienced extra lineman to block this year.

Otherwise, Pats will be tough. Josh should have tom dink and dunk at first or throw a bomb to warm up but McDaniels is not good this time of year either.

Steelers at TONS better off without the two distractions that also make Tomlin make mistakes. Tomlin is happier than anyone else. he can finally coach without rattles(i.e.? Brown posting patriots speach by Tomlin and posting for the Pats wand world to see)

12. HOT MODELS

Sep 4, 2019
    PATS had offensive line penalty up the butt this preseason. REAL bad.

13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    All the more reason it will be disappointing if we don’t go up there and win. This is the first put up or shut up game of the year. Time to see if actions speak louder than words....

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. HOT MODELS

Sep 4, 2019
    Well Goskowski would have to miss two field goals and tom throw a pic for a TD score for that to happen. Don't think you caught the Patriots much. tom is actually the weakest link along with Goskowski and then Josh McDaniels horrible play calling that happens several games a year. Tom will dink and dunk if he starts missing open receives like he does early season and 3/4way thru season. Pats D has much better D than the 7 then 8 new defensive backs who had not played a quarter of football in Eagles SB.When Billy sat M Butler because Billy B is a stubborn fool at times and cost them a SB and years ago against Rex Ryan benching Wes Wlker for making a fun joke making the entire team off kilter and no-one could catch and Tom can't throw.

I see Tom having to throw an interception and two missed kicks by Gowskowski for your prediction myself.

15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Popcorn :popcorn:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    I expect to see a lot of Sony Michel running the ball and James White catching dump off passes out of the backfield.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That is why Barron and Bush are so important. The inside linebackers have to make those plays.

I assume the Patriots are going to be looking for ways to take advantage of Kameron Kelly. Sean Davis didn't practice today and I think it's a good bet he won't play Sunday. That means Kelly gets a start in his first NFL game.

https://www.steelers.com/news/week-1-injury-report-patriots

18. HOT MODELS

Sep 4, 2019
    patriots tend to mix everything up so defense will mess up assignments so it will be especially interesting how Bush intuition works out towards his bright future. Running back one the side chains and julian cross routes, jordan and thomas deep. Bulkhead may become the blocker along with devlin with no ground

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope our running game is up to the task, I think they will double
    JuJu.

20. HOT MODELS

Sep 4, 2019
    Sony missed all preseason and two games. Word is Sony is practicing his catching skills 24-7. White 3rd down, but Harris appears to be as good as Sony so hope we see him. Like your backs but not sure of their catching abilities. For years Pats get touched up middle by running backs but Pats have a ton more experience for linebackers now. Pats are sure to do their runarounds they had paterson, hogan and amended do for every game. Don't like the play myself but pats do it about 3 times a game since McDaniels came back from Denver

21. HOT MODELS

Sep 4, 2019
    Pats will trust their secondary and double team your two best weapons and make Ben earn it deep ball. Been can make it happen. Not sure with a new number one getting attention that they will be on same page as Ben. Didn't see enough in steel preseason to see the timing.

22. HOT MODELS

Sep 4, 2019

Correct, AND gave Thomas a raise or his troubles. I think Dorsett is the 4th receiver but we will soon see who did better in practice.

23. HOT MODELS

Sep 4, 2019
    Once Pats knew Gunner would not clear waivers they took him back, traded with Texas and then resigned Thomas as he knew would happen for an extra $200,000 over pre release so we would all like that. As you mentioned. No waivers to clear. Heard Denver wanted him back but he preferred Patriots and liked their chances much better. Said he always wanted to play for Pats. I think it's more wanted to win another SB myself but you have some heavyweight Pat receives in Gordon, Thomas in line with Gronk along with harry when he's back.

24. HOT MODELS

Sep 4, 2019
    Brady tends to suck the first half in game ones. Josh is a dumb F at times and keeps Brady throwing when he couldn't hit the side of a barn. I think pats do a lot of the doe-see-doe run arounds and quick dump passes in case the new O line sucks. Delvin and Bulkhead as extra blockers if it's pink dress time. I hope to see a lot of Harris who catches and may be as good as Sony. But few deep balls if you are attacking successfully and hands up knocking balls down. A few game balls to Gordon and Thomas is no good. Once Brady does warm up he'll stay hot. Gowkoski on the other hand and the kicker team has been crap pre season and he has suc-ed the previous two years missing several easy kicks in two SB's too.

25. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Wow a Pats fan got in and went on a serial response kick. @HOT MODELS you are going to have to provide a rosetta stone for your terminology. Most of us are simple Steelers fans and your fancy talk makes no sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1