1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

We won yesterday despite bad coaching and bad officating!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Nov 4, 2019.

1. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Just did not score as expected. We had trips to redzone, had chances, created chances. Did not score touchdowns. The concerning part is that once in the redzone it was lame, lackadaisical. Left bitter taste in the mouth. The game should not have been that close. If you take the no-challenge touchdown and onde additional touchdown instead of a field goal, that's eight more points they easily left off the board.

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You have brought this up before, I think once was during the Ravens game after he got sacked but before he was knocked out. What are you seeing that you are basing the scared look on? He stood in and took the hit, got knocked out. Monday night he stood in there and got hit delivering the ball, yesterday he stood in there when he probably shoulf have run and took the hit. How is this playing scared?

3. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Yes, on one 3rd and goal from the 8 yard line the call was a swing pass to Samuels that gained 2 yards. They didn't even look for the endzone. They might as well just called a draw play if that's all they were going to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I do not get the fascination with making 72 eligible on every other play. Where are the double TE schemes? I cut the cable, so only listen to games..maybe they are aligning a 2 tE set, but I never hear it.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I get what the coaching staff is doing. They’re managing the games by playing close to the vest. They’re taking care to minimize higher risk situations, and instead taking easier pickings for smaller gains. They’d rather take the sure 3 points than risk the red zone turnover. They’d rather work the clock and manage field position than put the defense back on the field with no rest in a bad spot. It’s not dumb. It’s a strategy, and the results show that it’s at least moderately successful. It may not be quite what I’d do, but it is a strategy that’s keeping us in games and has helped us win 3 straight. Does anyone think the high frequency, higher risk offense we played with Ben would be working for Rudolph better than what we’re doing right now? I don’t.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    On redzone possessions they looked like the worst team in football. They looked like Dolphins. That's unacceptable. It's not risk reward thing. They got to the red zone. Gotta score touchdowns and cannot look lame.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think they can continue to use the game plan of low risk but they should take away some of the reads and make it more of make this throw because we have schemed it open or check it down. That TD catch and run by Johnson a week ago is a great example of the coaches seeing something and telling Mason, look if they give an 8 yard cushion and giving you 20 yards inside turn and fire it to DJ.

8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I guess we'll never know.

9. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

If you think abt it he doesnt get hit alot , not even shoved, maby because he takes the checkdowns so often ..? I'm but when he does get hit you can see it in his eyes he looks scared after jmo... In alot of those checkdowns he isnt even letting the routes develop dwn the field .. he is just geting rid of the ball as fast as he can ..

10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I don't see it ending anytime soon.:shrug:

11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I believe this is a direct result of Tomlin's "players coach" style. Sloppy because everyone knows "it's okay, coach T still loves me"

12. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    He doesn't look scared to get hit. He looks scared to make a mistake. He's tentative and indecisive. But I haven't seem him wither at all after getting hit. He looks the same before and after getting hit to me.

I've been saying this for a while. No fire. It's one thing to get fired up after a big play, but I'd like to see more fire when things aren't going right.

THIS. I don't know what is so hard to understand about this.

Mistakes, lack of prep, and bad coaching allow officials to make wrong calls that change outcomes. An official never changed the outcome of a game that better execution for the other 59 minutes couldn't have corrected.

BURGH43STEL would disagree. It must be the officials that are responsible for our defense only playing with 10. It couldn't be our fault. It couldn't be the coaches not being on top of things. It must be the officials. Duh

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. SteelersForLife8810

SteelersForLife8810 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    We ALWAYS become overly conservative too early in games when we are ahead. That needs to be looked at and adjusted imo

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Perhaps Tomlin doesn't want to repeat the same mistakes that Chan Gailey made when he tried to open up the playbook for Kordell Stewart. Downfield throws aren't eliminated, just very selective. Based on Rudolph's performance thus far, that may not be a bad approach.

16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I don't know about this. Although the statement is true at the foundation, it does not represent the truth. Officials change the outcome of games every week and while if team A throttled team B for 59 1/2 minutes the officials would not likely change the outcome of that game but rest assured an egregious call at the right moment can and does change games every week.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. SteelersForLife8810

SteelersForLife8810 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Yes, see Lions Packers game

18. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    He must not watch Steelers games or other games is all I can fathom. The reason the PI rule was created was because of a terribly missed call by the refs. There have been more bad and questionable calls by refs this season than I can ever remember. As a result of those calls teams are losing games. I believe refs influence points spreads with calls.

19. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    There is no doubt in my mind that the rules are written in such a way that they enable the refs, and thereby the NFL, to keep the control in house.

Why else would rules be written in such a way that "nobody" understands them?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Yes but we had to be winning the game for the missed kick to matter. The missed kick was surely great luck, but the Steelers had to be in a position to receive the luck, meaning winning a close game. Otherwise if the Steelers are losing, it’s just a missed kick and no one cares.

21. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    This has been happening since the Cowher years. Nothing has changed. Only difference is... we had the Bus to kill the clock during the Cowher era and it gave us a W more often than not.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I see no evidence that Fichtner is not allowing MR to throw downfield.

There are some plays designed to go short or to the rb but most of the time he's just checking all the way down to his outlet on most plays.

Fichtner even said this a few weeks ago when this came up. He sort of threw MR under the bus to defend his play calling to the press.

Now, are his eyes are darting around frantically for a couple seconds and then just bails out to his check down, or is nobody getting open?

Probably a bit of both. Plus, he throws a lot of balls behind his wr's when he does pull the trigger. Any throw over 5 yards attracts leprechauns en masse.

23. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

He holds the ball too long .. sound vaguely familiar. He has a good oline in front of him and they are doing as much as they can. He has to learn to get rid of the ball sooner

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    The game should not have been close. I'll preface the following comments with -- I am behind Mason as our QB. Now, during that game the middle was WIDE open. Numerous times receivers/TE's ran uncovered down the seam. Mason either never saw it or balked at trying and then quickly dumped off.

I can't figure it. We are talking WIDE open. I now think Mason is the one holding himself back. Some evidence to this is from a sarcastic/frustrated comment Tomlin made when a reporter asked about helping the offense and Mason starting faster. Mike responded, "Rudolph has to help Rudolph start faster".

25. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Better defense too

• Agree Agree x 1