1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

We should give Mike some love

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by We need a change, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I am 1000% on board with that, I am just saying that had we had decent game plans, those fumbles would not have mattered to the final score or would never have happened.

2. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

I live near DC and see and hear lots of stuff about the Skins. Tomlin would be a fool to work for Snyder and Allen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    This was funny!

4. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think even Tomlin is smart enough to know the difference between:

A. A place where I get handed a Super Bowl caliber team and some of the best talent the league has ever seen, i have complete control and I can never get fired.

or

B. A place where I get handed a cluster-**** and I'm not sure what my job will be.

5. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I am with you...blessing and a curse at the same time!

6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yep. DC is where coaches go to fail. Redskins are a poorly run franchise... and have been for almost 3 decades. Plenty of quality talent on the Redskins roster, but they never can bring it together and make it work. Doesn't matter who the coach is.

7. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Tomlin is having his best season as a head coach. Does that mean this is his best team, or will be his most successful team, obviously not. But Tomlin has coached this team beyond its talent. And it was the opposite, coaching the team below the talent level, that most criticized him for the last 5 years. So let’s be consistent on this issue and give d]credit when due, and lay blame when due.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Reminds me of Noll and the 1984 season. Steelers overachieved that year.... with some damn good coaching from Noll. Steelers were the only team to beat the 49ers that year.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  9. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Props to Tomlin and this is one of his strengths. 1-4 team and 3rd string QB. A lot of coaches would have lost this locker room.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Funny, a year ago there was a lot of discussion on how he didn’t have control of the locker room.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Yeah, well we now see that was an impossible situation with a headcase like AB. Two different teams and no luck. So I think we can place that on AB and not Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yeah I have been wrong on tomlin. Still needs to avoid the duds vs bad teams however maybe that’s on Ben? Lol

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If the HOF kicker makes the FG last week...

• Like Like x 1
  14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    It was also just about a year ago that there was a lot of talk about Tomlin for coach of the year, and we all know what happened next. I'm going to reserve judgement (beyond the obvious avoidable mistakes that Tomlin can never seem to avoid) for the end of the season. I like to use the whole picture to draw conclusions from.
    (not directed at you jeh1856)

15. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I wouldn't absolve him of all blame. I just think this is one of his strengths. XO's/coaching leaves some to be desired. He wasted timeouts two weeks ago and he said he called the PA on the 1 that got the Rams the sack. He still makes some bad decisions here and there. But I think you need to look at big picture and accept some of that. His only real competition is Belichick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    All we ask as fans is to have to team ready each and every game. If you have watched football, played football, etc, you know after a while when a team is getting beat or a team is in complete confusion because there is no prep showing.

Tomlin needs talent though. Getting Minkah changed the defense. Getting Bush changed the defense. I wish Tuitt was still in there but his replacements have been great.

One thing that is for sure, is the Steelers will be drafting a lot of offense for next year. They need a #1 running back and a legit #1 tight end.

My hope is the Steelers can make the playoffs this year, feel good about themselves and then when Big Ben comes back next year, defense will have another year under their belt and the offense can get some weapons and go for the last Super Bowl run in the Big Ben era. Maybe we can send Big Ben into retirement with a title. Let's hope.

Props to Tomlin though. Rams game was as good as a game plan as I have seen executed in a while. Offense struggled but that was not in his control. Rams D-line is legit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He doesn't have complete control, Colbert has been the GM for almost 20 years. Even Noll was forced out, anybody can be let go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    That HOF Kicker missed 2 more vs. Dolphins.

19. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just saw some of his stats on tv, he should have walked away when he hinted at it.

20. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Its hard for me to give him credit. This is what he is supposed to do, its his job. I get frustrated with him when he is not doing his job and the team looks lost (game plan, adjustments, ect) so OBVIOUSLY this is a lot. He has kept the team and locker room together and has them playing solid football which is a change. I think the next 7 games will determine how we can judge Mikey's season. We should probably be favorites in 6 and really should win all 6 with the test being Balt. The Browns are still the Browns, the Bengals are awful, the Jets are awful, the Cards are ok and so are the Bills. If he can go 5-1 in those games with only 1 clunker (its inevitable) than in my opinion its probably his best coaching job of his tenure. If by some grace of the football gods he goes 7-0 and we win the North and get the 2 seed he should win coach of the year.

21. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    If the Steelers continue to run the table, the final game in week 17 vs. Ravens will be epic.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  22. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Don't know how the Colts can keep him at this point. He could have won last weeks game vs the Steelers and his missed PAT yesterday was critical. As Mike Florio said this morning "if Vinateri would have made that PAT the Colts would have been in position for him to miss the game tying field goal at the end instead of having to try and score a touchdown."

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Of course he deserves credit, when coaches do good they should get credit and when they do bad, they should be criticized.

Tomlin is at his best when facing adversity so I'm not surprised the team has responded the way it has.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Coach of the year may come down to Tomlin and Shanahan. It will be interesting if Steelers keep winning.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  25. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015

JuJu and Conner had those balls stripped. They actually fumble them and it was created by the defense...and an issue of coaching. Holding a ball properly is coached...there's a reason most teams int he NFL don't have this problem. That 7 points of an incomplete pass was a gift from the officials. How was it any different than Mason's incomplete / fumble ? If that was us losing on that call - everyone on this board would be furious.

• Agree Agree x 1