1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

we rank 21 in scoring

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think this is stat was too telling. Ben wants to be in the Brady Breeze category, but 21 is not getting it done.

Our Redzone scoring is horrible! Horrible! Its been bad for years now. Arians should not get off the hook for this one.

2. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think we need a hi powered OC. Too much QB/WR/TE/RB talent for not being able to get stuff done.

3. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    people want to blame the OC, but ben isn't the type of system qb to do what people like you want him to do. he's not brady, rodgers, brees, manning. he's not a three-step, quick read, quick release, strong-armed, precision qb. he's just not. he's a sandlot qb. if you want that sort of system, it means you don't want ben as our qb.

4. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Then BA needs to open the playbook. When all you run are WR bubble screen and run plays that only go striaght up the middle then something is wrong.

5. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011

We need to run the ball more, and let Ben throw off playaction. Ben needs to be reigned in on the deep pass. I'd rather have the 10 yard passes to Heath.

6. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    ben has never thrown a good deep ball. a troll on the old espn boards mockingly called his deep passes 'punts'.

7. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    He doesnt have accuracy on the deep ball, that is why we should run the ball and he should go playaction to get the WR wide open so accuracy doesn't matter as much.

8. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Just save your breath. A lot of fans here are convinced that a new OC will easily force Ben in to a new offensive system and he'll continue to perform as an elite QB. Ben and BA sat down together several years ago and modeled the current offensive playbook after Ben's supposed game strengths. If Ben was good at 3 step drop precision passing the game plan would reflect that and it doesn't. That tells me Ben will struggle big time when Arians is gone. Maybe he'll be able to adjust and maybe he won't. I guess we'll see when the time comes.

9. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    less home run hitting deep routes, more run plays!

10. one4theotherthumb

one4theotherthumb Active Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Ben can be a three steps, quick release QB. We saw hints of that in the Patriots game. The problem is that he, and BA, wants to go for the glory with every play. That's fine if you have a line that can hold off the rushers for 4-5 seconds - enough time for the receivers to go down field. Our O-line can't even give Ben enough time to take a 3-steps drop.

If Ben and BA are smart, they need to configure the offense to take advantage of the strengths and not be exposed by the weaknesses.

11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree, although I disagree that Ben couldn't have become a very good pocket passer. We see glimpses of it, and at times have seen it many times over the years. He can sit in the pocket and pick defences apart, we've seen it. The fact is, that Tomlin and BA both do not want to try to change Ben and they never did. Perhaps it's too late now, but if they had worked with him since day one, then perhaps we wouldn't have to watch this inconsistent, sandlot crap.

He didn't make it the NFL by not being able to throw quick passes from the pocket. The fact is, he can do it, although he has a tendency to scramble around choatically when pressured, rather than slide around the pocket like Brees and Brady do. Like you said, maybe Ben can adjust, maybe it's too late. Either way, what we've been doing for the past 5 years hasn't worked. Our offence has never been ranked high, so we need to change something to try to fix it. Whether that's focusing on quick passes from the pocket, going back to a running team, whatever, something has to change.

12. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Ben gets plenty of time for a 3-step drop. He doesn't do much after the 3rd step...