1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WE NEED A BUCK!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by strummerfan, Mar 15, 2022.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The talking heads you watch on tv are not the Steelers front office.

• Like Like x 1
  2. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    If that deer walked out in front of me I wouldn’t even shoot. I would be shaking so hard I would miss and hit someone’s grandmother a half mile away.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  3. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Don't I know it

4. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Bush is on a rookie contract so cutting him makes no sense. Not to mention that he’s not a buck. Schobert on the other hand needs to go. They didn’t help the run defense, but a large part of that was the defensive line’s inability to do their job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    It's the deepest position in the draft. There are probably 15 linebackers we could draft all the way to end of seventh round, who could start on any team. Kevin could wait for Day 3 and still pick up a great linebacker.

Leo Chenal
    Troy Anderson
    Damone Clark
    Quay Walker
    Christian Harris
    Channing Tindal
    Malcolm Rodriguez
    Chad Mumma
    D'Marco Jackson
    Chance Campbell
    Baylon Spector
    Davin Lloyd
    Brian Asamoah
    Isaiah Graham Mobley
    Jojo Domann

6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Agreed, Surprised Schobert wasn't out the door with Zach Banner today.

If they did a restructure on Shobert that would drop his Cap hit to around $4 million; is that cheap enough, or do you get rid of him completely and save $8 million?

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    For me it would need to be a pay cut, not a restructure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Myles Jack entered the chat.

2 years 16m

• Like Like x 1
  9. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    just saw that

hopefully he isn’t damaged goods. Shocked the jags let him go

10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    They won't. Put a lot on the line trading up to get the fashion plate. I wouldn't be surprised if they draft an ILBer though.

Far from it. Finesse player.

Average player with a dumb contract. Yes he goes.

Yes it's easy to blame the D Line but both of those ILBers are still responsible as well and they didn't do their jobs. Both were a large part of the reun defenses issue.

Maybe Bush can save face under Flores but I feel this will be his last season.

11. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

I couldn’t disagree more. He was solid as a rookie and was having a solid second year before the injury. He didn’t suddenly forget how to play.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he made some tackles but gave up 5 TD's in pass coverage. his rookie year he wasn't asked to do everything either. last year there was a high lack of effort on many plays. that's the part that worried me about him. the effort was not there at all. people flamed mark barron for one play in a video, but bush did it every game. jogging after a play and just letting other players around him make plays with no effort at all. that's what has to change or he needs to go. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    So is Jack the Buck or is Bush getting Benched?

14. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I love it when people cherry pick things to support their agenda. Here’s more of the article.
    “Some people are hard on Devin Bush after struggling at times as a rookie. Here’s how he compared to some other young, high-profile linebackers last year, according to pff” 0DEF14E8-F28C-4DD4-8AF6-9C1AD4D5AC16.png

Though Bush’s 62.9 overall grade was good for just 35th in the league at the linebacker position, it’s important to remember the context. Devin Bush turned 21 years old just before his rookie training camp and was one of the youngest relevant players in the NFL last year.

In years past, the Steelers have been afforded the luxury of playing their rookies primarily on special teams and not forcing them to start right away. This is something that players like Troy Polamalu, Lawrence Timmons, Lamaar Woodley, and Cameron Heyward were all able to do, as the four of them combined for zero starts as rookies.
    However, today’s game has progressed to the point where rookies need to make an impact right away. Despite being so young, Bush showed tremendous growth throughout the season. His overall grade from PFF topped other former first-round picks and young talents like Tremaine Edmunds, Leighton Vander Esch, Roquan Smith, Devin White, and Rashaan Evans in 2019.

Devin White was drafted ahead of Bush in 2019 as he wound up going 5th overall to Tampa Bay. Now, perhaps the Buccaneers wish they would have chosen differently. Even Roquan Smith, who was widely considered one of the best linebacker prospects to come out in years, hit a major slump in his second season with a 52.4 overall grade. Likewise, Leighton Vander Esch was a former Pro Bowler who earned just a 58.6 grade in 9 starts last season.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    they didn't us
    e 3 draft picks on white either or any of the cherry picked guys you named as our first rounders that sat. yes he had a good rookie year for a rookie but it doesn't explain his lack of effort last year. :cool:

16. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    do we really need to rehash the reasons for his struggles last year for the 1000th time?

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    excuses are like butt holes, everyone has one and they all stink. he should have gone to the bench if he was having such a hard time and quit hurting the team. we can waste another year waiting to see if he's ok yet. we can tell the other teams not to pick on him. :cool:

18. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018

• Like Like x 1
  19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Its water under the knee... Last season in Pittsburgh hopefully

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes, until people admit he lacked effort

21. Mark Tazz

Mark Tazz Active Member

Mar 15, 2022
    A bright, shiny QB is sexy... It makes pages... Nobody clicks on a lineman.... wink.gif

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    SWIPE LEFT
    :cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. Mark Tazz

Mark Tazz Active Member

Mar 15, 2022
    I rest my casr...

24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Disagree here a bit. Not true based on talent but the depth is very good.

EDGE, OT, WR and CB are deeper than Off Ball Linebackers. Doubly so in the case of the EDGE; each round of said position having a starting capable player up until early Day Three at the earliest alone. Never mind that, there is a true star level player on the EDGE and arguably the best player in the class in Aidan Hutchinson. CB and WR do have highly number one overall players at their positions in the likes of Derek Stingley Jr and Jameson Williams but not what I would consensus. Regardless, even if they are considered such, the drop off between them and the next available players is either small to miniscule overall. For example, Derek Stingely Jr has the best overall skills to lock down number one receiving options but it is not like Andrew Booth or even Trent McDuffie are that far behind. For Jameson Williams, no other Deep Threat in the class possess the same overall level of polish and Football IQ but players like Drake London and Chris Olave have shown that there are other methods to be true number ones without having to blaze down the sidelines at tremendous speeds. Offensive Tackle also falls into this group; more people seeing Ikem "Ickey" Ekwonu as a superior blindside protector than Evan Neal while others stand pat with Neal as they have been. Again, no matter which is better than the other, no major drop off of any sort here.

OFF Ball Linebacker has more question marks based on the top two in Dean and Lloyd; Dean now officially being very scheme specific and Lloyd's more finite grasp of pass coverage in question; his aggression when taking on blocks the same. While these two are universally regarded as the best Off Ball 'Backers and both are worthy of being taken in Round One, after these two, the drop off is very noticeable. Christian Harris has the best pass coverage chops of any OFF Ball LB in the class but is way too overaggressive, Darrian Beavers is the best 4-3 MLB in the draft but does not have the speed to be counted in man to man assignments. Chad Muma really can make his claim on being a better WILL 'Backer than even Dean but Dean's ability to rush the passer even as a WILL far outclass Muma's given Muma's background as a Safety; limiting his overall effective usage in comparison. Long story short, with the exceptions of Lloyd, Brandon Smith (where he actually can play is in question) and possibly Beavers (I would advise against this personally), the rest of the OFF Ball Linebacking class is very schematically limited in one form or another. Heck, even Nakobe Dean is but Dean is the best schematic based OFF Ball Linebacker in the class as his Instincts and Football IQ greatly mitigate other major problems he has. However, being a one trick pony as an OFF Ball LB simply does not work anymore in the NFL; have to do everything... and everything exceptionally well from day one.

Now, is there depth among the LBs? Sure. Can these players perform well in the right system? Absolutely. Is this position group outclassed by the likes of EDGE, OT, WR, and CB? Most definitely.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011