1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

We need a bad season... Optimism ahead

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelByDesign, Sep 23, 2013.

1. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I hate to say it, but it's true. I only hope that Ben doesn't screw it up and win 6-8 games.

I said many times this offseason that this team is rebuilding (or needs to be), even when Colbert talked about their goal every season is to win a Superbowl. I'm sorry but that's a bunch of crap. The front office needs to just accept that we're rebuilding and cut some of the contracts this offseason that are holding us back. As much as it hurts, Kiesel needs to go. So does Foote and probably Ryan Clark (and these 2 have dropped off big time).

Teams that are successful will draft late, and fade... It's just the way it goes. We were the exception to the rule for a few years, but it's time to pay the piper. Teams like the Giants and Chargers are right there with us too. It's the way of the NFL.

The good news...
    Turning around doesn't have to be a very long process. It's possible to do it quickly. The fact that we already have a franchise QB helps a lot, that's the hard piece to find. If the OL improves (and it will, we're extremely young) we already have REALLY good skill players in Brown, Wheaton, Heath, Bell, and even Will Johnson.

I think we're a left tackle and some gel-time away from being an offense that can scare people. Moving Adams to the left side has weakened both tackle positions. He was really showing promise last season on the right side. My hope is that we get around 4-6 to grab Jake Matthews.

On the other side of the ball Jarvis Jones has shown me enough that he's going to be really good. He's struggling in coverage somewhat and with his angles... but those are things you can learn. His nose for the ball is instinctual and he's already showing it. Shamarko Thomas has the looks of a future stud too. Cam Heyward looks ready for primetime... Cortez Allen needs to stay healthy, but he's a ballhawk.

My point is, there's pieces to build around, and the long-term future is not as bleak as the short term (hopefully). We went 6-10 with Tommy Maddox, and turned that top 10 pick into a dynasty run. The Colts went 2-14 in 2011 and already turning it around.

Look at Seattle. They were in the Superbowl with us in '06 and faded but were able to get back into contention fairly quickly (and I think they win it all this year).

2. Concussion

Concussion Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I don't think there is much chance of that.

3. NDsteelerfan

NDsteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree in most part, but still need to address a coach who seems lost on the sidelines, let's be real, without going to two super bowls and winning one, Tomlin would probably be lookin for work.

4. MikeFanForLife

MikeFanForLife Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Beginning to think we went to those two SB's in spite of MT not because of him.

5. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm really getting sick of the O-line being young excuse.....

They just played a team with 2 rookies on the line and they didn't look as bad.

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I like the optimism, but I'm really starting to question whether Ben is a franchise QB anymore. He looks to me like the ravages of time - and 350 sacks - have taken their toll. I think the turnovers are occurring party because he is trying to do things that his arm and body could do s few years ago, and can't anymore. His strength was never the cerebral part of the game, so I'm not expecting him to turn into a cagey defense-reading vet. I'd really hate to say it, but I think that our resurgence in a few years will need to feature our next franchise QB.

7. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    That's a good point, but seems more exception than the rule. You can call it excuses but it is what it is. We lost our best OL, to get a guy off the street (who has looked good, but he still just got here). This is the Steelers youngest OL in 56 years, and the most inexperienced in the entire NFL.

8. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm going to give Ben the benefit of the doubt here. He is under tremendous pressure. I was watching the tape after the game and I couldn't imagine how he is getting the ball off at all. He has less than 2 seconds before the rush is in his face. The oline is not giving him any time to set his feet and go through one progression. The only time he has time is when he scrambles. He sometime takes off even before he is set.

9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm afraid it's just wishful thinking. You know in your heart that we'll get hot and finish one game out of the playoffs.

10. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Well, let's look at it. Most of these guys played at least some of last year.

The Pass blocking scheme hasn't changed from what I've read. It was always a zone blocking scheme in the passing game. They've just brought it to the running game this year.

At some point they've got to figure out how not to miss blocks while doubling someone or knocking them off their block.

11. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    :this!:

12. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    Ha! That's always what we seem to do... We win a couple games that mean nothing at the end.

But let's be honest... I don't see a single game on our schedule where I'm thinking, yeah that's a sure W.

13. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The success of many of those transition teams (Colts, Seahawks, Niners) also involved a head coaching change. Do you think we can turn it around with Coach T at the helm or do the Steelers need to look elsewhere?

14. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    I tend to not think about that kind of stuff too much honestly. I don't know. I do get tired of Tomlin's post-game cliche filled BS... but then I think, what could he really say that would make me happy? Nothing probably. I'd be happy honestly if his actions showed that he knows we're rebuilding. And by that I mean stop restructuring contracts (and this is directed at Colbert too, not necessarily Tomlin), and get guys like Jarvis Jones, Leveon Bell, Markus Wheaton, Derrick Moye and Shamarko Thomas on the field (which they are minus at WR).

I DO think we should keep Haley. I don't think most of our problems are his fault... I think the roster just isn't that good, and there's not much he can do with that offensive line.

With a solid OL I think Haley can give us a dangerous offense that also keeps Big Ben healthy.

15. Yogi4

Yogi4 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Remember the "Any given Sunday rule" we will be a spoiler for some. I hope it's the Ratbirds