1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

We lost because of the D line

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Badboy212, Jan 16, 2012.

1. SteelerSteve

SteelerSteve Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2011
    The main thing about line play in the 3-4, it is "does it push or does it get pushed?" We are not getting the push we need to blow up runs and collapse the pocket. Not only does this blow up run plays, it forces the QB out of the pocket and he picks his poison with Harrison or Woodley on the edges. Our Dline was getting no push in the Broncos game, sometimes it seemed due to a lack of aggressiveness or maybe frustration they were just standing there waiting to react instead of getting after Tebow. Not sure if they were being coached to not be aggressive but can we please get back to being the aggressor instead of overthinking our defensive schemes? I have never seen a season where our LB's were dropped into pass coverage as often instead of rushing the passer.

2. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I can't imagine being 300 lbs in Denver's altitude with no subs because of all the injuries. It's a wonder those guys could walk by the 4th qtr much less play effectively.

3. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I believe they were coached to play passive to keep Tebow contained and make him throw. That was supposed to be the winning strategy. I think they believed he would throw picks. Didn't happen.

I agree with you. They should have gone aggressive and flushed Tebow, and tried to get the sacks and/or force him into hasty decisions.

4. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I agree with you also, just not sure if they were coached to just hang around the scrimmage line and wait for Tebow to run or they were just not strong enough to make any kind of push. But there was something wrong with the no push or collapsing the pocket or hurries or sacks. :roll:

5. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    [/quote]

Give me 4 mean joes on a 4-3 and we never lose.

Cajun-[/quote]

Give me just 2 mean joes and I still like our chances to win them all!! He really was that good :superman:

6. ballhair

ballhair Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Gentlemen, Our pass rush has been non-existent this year and the second half of last season, for whatever reason. How many QB's are there in the league? Just under a 100? These are the best QB's in the world right? My point is, when you give an NFL QB too much time chances are he is going to find an open receiver, even a Tim Tebow. Just my 2 cents.

7. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    can you actually see our FO spending big on this guy? he made 12 mill last year and will probably be signed to a big deal

8. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Hampton is a goner! No way we keep him. Keisel (crowd fav or not) may very well be on that same plane out of town. That D line needs to get young real quick. Like I said i see we had the #1 D but that doesnt always tell the whole story