1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

We have to have Decastro

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Wardismvp, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He looks like a a plug and play guy for the next ten years.
    Athletic,No sloppiness to him, benched 28. Faneca type. Make it happen Steelers,
    he is projected at 14, Lets think out of the box and get Ben some help.
    Arizona is in need of a WR lets make a deal?

2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Would you give up our first and Wallace? or our first and Brown? I might see our first and Sanders, but I'd rather not. And I get the feeling that they aren't going to want Ward. I just don't see gutting out receiving corps to strengthen our line. DeCastro is good, no doubt, but we could get Glenn without the stressing the receivers, or one of countless other good, starting quality guards in the second. And face it, combining a couple of starting quality (not all star quality) o-linemen, combined with a new offensive philosophy that doesn't require 7 step drops on every play (or f***ing bubble screens), and our offense will be back to where it should be.

3. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    No Way?!?! I think this is the general consensus among the MBers here that DeCastro is the one we'd ALL like to have (see all the other DeCastro threads/posts). AZ is in need of ILB and OL the most, WR is one of their lower needs. And DeCastro could be gone by the time they pick. While I think ALL of us would like DeCastro...unless they give up a good bit to move up I dont see it happening.

4. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    lmao at the Cards wanting Ward in a trade for DeCastro. If Ward gets cut I'm not sure anyone will be interested.

That being said, it would take a trade of nearly the same magnitude that the Falcons pulled to get Julio Jones... probably a little less. But let's put to rest the idea of trade players... That rarely happens unless it's because the player is a problem. The first team I see as wanting to take DeCastro is the Cards at #13 or Dallas at #14... I don't see him slipping past both of them.

To move from 24 to 12 would take our 1st, 2nd, and 4th (According to the Draft Countdown trade chart). That's too much in my opinion and I'm LOVING DeCastro.

5. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Giving up our 1st, 2nd and 4th for a guard is insane. It wouldn't matter if he was the next coming of fanaca. I'm not in favor of giving up picks for just one player when you have a better chance of getting good players in later rounds.

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Not according to Larry Fitzgerald, who is the straw that stirs the drink in AZ.
    They need another receiver that will let Larry be Larry. Hence Wallace and another
    Steeler starter. Decastro would fix alot of problems for us. We have been trying for years
    to get good OL and have failed except for Pouncey. Funny, he was a number 1 draft choice
    taken about the same time. Lets face it our OL stinks, Ben needs help.

7. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Are you kidding? He's an over the hill Steeler clinging to what's left of his career. We might get him for a first rounder straight up! :lolol:

8. SSylvester

SSylvester Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    They are Steelers West after all! :thumbsup:

9. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I am not a Decastro guy. I like POE. A guy that big, that strong, and that fast especially with the Steelers and John Mitchell as his coach, is a can't miss guy. He would make our defense real tuff. Take him and get the guard in the second. Now they could make a trade using Mendenhall and get Poe. They could also trade Wallace or Tag him and get a first round pick for him and get Poe and Glenn in the first. There are a few ways they can do it but, POE should be the target.

The offense will be better this year because of the hiring of Haley. Buy solitifying the defense that can only help the offense more.

10. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Say what you want about our competition last year, but finishing #1 to me says they are good. At least "solid." Our defense, in fact, carried us through most of the season. Our defense is what really beat the Patriots while everyone was talking about our opening drive touchdown. One of the biggest problems our defense has at all is that it doesn't get enough help from the O. I'm not saying this should determine who we draft, but I think you have it backwards in principle. Our defense needs support from the offense, not the other way around.

Also, I'm a Mendenhall supporter and I think he's valuable. I hope he fully recovers and we can re-sign him for a reasonable amount of money. But how much trade value does he really have? He could miss up to 6-12 games of the season, and it's the only one under contract (so the team trading would have no right to him after that) and he might not be able to change direction very well when he gets back. A healthy Santonio Holmes with 12 games guarenteed fetched us a 5th. A questionable Mendenhall with maybe only a handful of games will fetch us less than that, and probably wouldn't move us up more than one spot in the 1st, if at all.

11. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Decastro- It is possible we get him at #24. We got faneca at #26 but that was a different draft. Depending on team needs and moves he could be there at #24 and if he is we MUST draft him. With him being the Top OG in the draft most likely he won't be there. If we lose Wallace we could put a package together to move up and get him.we just have to be careful not to give up too much. Even if we do this I still want one of our 1st rd picks and our 2nd pick.

Poe-I'm on record as being a huge Poe fan. That's starting to diminish some. He seems to be the perfect fit for our NT need. Mayock loves him as now do others. He's bigger,stronger.faster than Suh & Mccoy but his production doesn't match this. Yes he played every DL position in college and had virtually no help on that line but I'm still a little skeptical now. His competition level wasn't the greatest so I'm getting worried he may be another GREAT work-out wonder who should dominate but only become good NFL Players. He may very well now become overrated and drafted top 15. Drafting alameda ta'amu in the 2nd rd makes better sense to me. This guy is big, strong and his performance matched, he was productive anchoring Washington's DL. He is more "Ngata" like in his tenacity and drive.

Our Defense- Its a smoke screen to think our defense carried us and was ranked #1. I like stats but we must be careful not to put too much weight into them. Our defense cost us both Raven games which cost us the division. Our defense almost cost us the Colts game, couldn't stop SF and our defense ended our season verses the Broncos in the playoffs. Our defense has now lost permantely DL A. Smith and DL Chris Hoke. DL Hampton is old,fat and has his 3rd ACL tear and even though Colbert says he'll be back I DON'T see him being a solid Dlineman for us anymore. We also lost our defense QB & Lockerroom Leader ILB Farrior. Since timmons has Failed to become Farrior's heir apparent replacement our defense will now be in the hands of Foote- its new QB. Who really wants Foote starting. He has the smarts to make the calls but physically he hurts us. We're now forced to probably draft another ILB 1st rd to become our leader, thanks timmons. If we do indeed draft Hightower or Hopefully BC's LUKE K. expect them to get playing time as the year progesses rotating with timmons. Hopefully they can learn the system quickly and in the 2013 season replace foote as our signal caller.

As much as we need Interior OL help and could really use DeCastro we MUST address our defense with rds 1 & 2 ( Hightower/ Ta'mau ) and hopefully get a solid OG rd 3.

Cajun-

12. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    DeCastro will not be there at 24. I've seen a few mocks with him getting to 19... If he gets in the late teens then we need to get on the phone... But no OG is worth trade up 10+ spots.

13. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Don't really have any problems with your first two paragraphs... but the third one is blowing my mind a little.

Our defense almost cost us the Colts game? I seem to remember the defense allowing one touchdown drive in that game. The Colts' other touchdown was scored by their defense, and their remaining points were field goals, which our defense thankfully managed to hold them to after our offense gave them the ball! Oh, and there's also the matter of the defense scoring the game-saving TD all by itself... Yes, I know that they still allowed one TD from a crappy Colts offense, and Ike almost allowed another by being a moron. But what do you really expect? A shutout? Is anything less a failure? Our offense turned the ball over to them three times. One was run back for a touchdown (I wouldn't blame our D for that), and the other two resulted in field goals. Pretty good. But because the D finally caved in the 4th and allowed its first TD, they almost cost us the game? A game we are only even in because they held strong earlier and scored on their own? How about the offense almost cost us the game by turning the ball over so many times and failing to put up TDs when they had the chance?

The second Baltimore game, there is blame to go around. The defense should not have allowed that final TD, and the offense should not have let Baltimore have a chance. The first Baltimore game... 7 turnovers we committed. Seven. The defense did not play great, or even well, but believe it or not they did play well enough to win. They allowed only two long TD drives. The rest were very short fields. It was probably our defense's worst outing all year, and the offense still lost us that game all by itself. I guess you could say that our defense didn't generate any turnovers, so that's why we lost that game. Go ahead and say that.

The SF game is another example of the offense not even giving us a chance to win. Turning the ball over. Our defense played not great, but again well enough to win. You can say that losing to Alex Smith is embarrassing, but he did it 14 times last year, and their offense is tailor-made to beat our defense. Short, quick passes and blazing tight ends. And they excel at it.

Our defense did cost us the Denver game in large part (the offense was ugly too), but I put almost all of that blame on the total lack of in-game adjustments. It was a good plan going in, but after Tebow exploded in the 2nd quarter, they needed to adjust and they didn't. They just pretended like it didn't happen, and of course that cost us in the end. If they had played Denver like a regular team and actually made an effort to stop the pass, they would have done so. Tebow succeeded at throwing against us because we didn't try to stop him. Instead we dared him to.

Here we are talking about our D's worst performances all season, and they still kept us in games! They can't be expected to do everything. They need support from our offense, but it seems like all anyone can say is our offense needs support from our defense, because 3 or 7 points should be enough to win a game.

All that said, I wouldn't be miserable with Hightower-Ta'mau, because they are both needs and value picks at those spots. But we still require a guard that can start week 1 and be effective doing it. Round 3 is where you start to go from that scenario being likely to being iffy. I just hate this notion that our offense was struggling less than our defense last year. It's absurd.

14. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011

YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You asked and the Steelers Responded........ Now I have a few suggestions for you to ask for.

I had Decastro in my 1st mock and everyone said he would be gone, I nailed that one but the other three picks.....lets just say my 14 yr old daughter could have done better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cajun-

15. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Good on ya Cajun. I think you are the only person that actually thought it was possible that Decastro could slide to #24. Team needs and head scratching picks dropped him right into Colbert's lap.

16. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    More wishful thinking than anything else. where did you have AJ Jenkins. I just can't believe SF took him there over quite a few other WRs.
    When the stains took Weeden @ 22 I bet everyone in the Steelers War room peed their pants knowing they were getting either an OT or OG for the next 10 years!!!

Cajun-

17. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin

Oct 12, 2011
    I thought it was a weird pick. They take Jenkins when Hill and Randle are still on the board? :scratch:

It must have been frantic in there. :D

18. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I actually didn't even have AJ Jenkins in my Top 100, which means I thought he was probably a 4th round pick. People want to say how big of a reach Irvin was (and he was!), Jenkins may have been an even bigger one.