1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

We have the best receiving core in football and a gunslinger at QB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jamie, Nov 16, 2020.

1. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    Please, please stop with “we can’t run the ball conversations”. As I said it is a numbers game, earlier in the year we ran the ball fine, teams have taken that away that is why we are taking what the defense gives us. Throwing a 2-3 yard pass is as good as handing it off in the backfield. We have playmakers that can turn 2-3 yard passes into 12-30 yard gains get the ball out of Ben’s hands for his health and into the playmakers so they can excel.

Steelers have big, fast and physical receivers they are a nightmare match up for Defenses. Throw in guys like Ray Ray, Snell and McFarland and boy you are talking sleepless nights for D coordinators. Once they drop into 2 safety coverage to stop passes then draws and the running plays will open up. I would like to see a few more screen passes to backs and TEs. Major kudos to Offensive line, Ben wasn’t sacked once in the game.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Not sure if we have "the best". What we have is a bunch of guys to whom the win column is more important than the stat sheet. No true #1, but 5 #2's, which adds up.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Hop man
    May have a say about the best wrs

but yea we got some good ones.

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    We can’t run the ball

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    It would still be nice if on 3rd and 2 we didn't have to rely on chucking it down field to convert the first down.

Newsflash: 44 yards rushing aint gonna get it done in the playoffs. We're 9-0 and that's all that matters to this point but this team needs more balance on offense to beat the better teams.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    I don't think you can say if you don't have a running game you can't win. ...and teams in the past without a run game have won. With that said, we need to get a running game. It's there, but you take out Dotson and McDonald and that as we saw has a huge impact on opening holes and hooking the edge.

Dotson is a not only our future - he is also the present. No more cuddling.

7. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    To prove there is no such thing has YOU MUST HAVE a rush game:

Indy (2006) worst rush efficiency in NFL.
    Packers (2010) bad
    Giants (2011) bad

That's just three. Statistics prove (just taken since 2000) efficient passing game hands down beats anything regarding run.

8. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I'm not sure they're the best or even top 3, but they're damn good. Keep winning... who cares about the rest.

9. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    In a vacuum I'd take Evans, Godwin, AB and Gronk over our guys. That's ignoring age, personality, etc. Just ability, nothing else. Evans, Godwin and AB are all true #1 elite WR's. Gronk is old, but he's still among the best TE's in the league.

But we have a group of WR's who will give defences fits and a QB that isn't scared to throw it up to his guys and let them make a play.

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What was the margin of victory for those teams on average? If you are blowing teams away then yep you probably don't need a run game. If you have a slim lead and are in a real fight then you might need something like a run game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    In a vacuum I think those 4 are very similar to what Brady had with Moss, Edelman and co in NE but once you start losing one or two it becomes less scary saw that with Evans and Godwin being dinged up Brady struggled. I think the Steelers are in the same boat but a bit more depth before they struggle.

12. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Scott Miller is pretty good too. But yeah, we absolutely have good depth at the WR position.