1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

We could lose the Bush trade in a few years...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Jan 11, 2020.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Too early to tell but the Broncos might have got a franchise QB and solid TE. While we got an ILB getting subbed out a lot.

Drew Lock l 5 games - 1,020 yards. 7 tds. 3 ints. 89.7 rating as a rookie.

Mason Rudolph l 10 games - 1,765 yards. 13 tds. 9 ints. 82 rating in his 2nd year.

Noah Fant - 562 yards and 3 tds.

What are our two biggest needs right now? Franchise QB and TE. We could have got them then drafted Kenneth Murray this year for ILB.

Rudolph was the worst thing to ever happen to this franchise. Falling for fools gold potentially screwed up 2 drafts. This is all Tomlin's fault too. We didn't need Rudolph. You don't develop 2 QB's at once. You have your starter. Your project. Then veteran back-up to come in if the project can't handle it. We only got Rudolph because the Raiders stupidly gave us a 3rd for Bryant. That right there is a luxury and not a need. We did not need him.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Jumping the gun just a bit aren't we? You're basing a career on one season on both sides. And worst thing to ever happen to this franchise, even worse than Huey Richardson? Lol.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019

it’s not just the year, it’s also hindsight.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    The opportunity cost of trading up for Bush was huge, giving away two day two picks is a hefty price to pay when you have both Cap and depth issues like the Steelers do. That said, if Bush turns out to be an All Pro talent it is a good deal.

Who the Broncos got or didn’t get is irrelevant, the Steelers were not going to select Lock regardless. You can get a decent tight end any year in the 2nd or 3rd round so it’s not like Fant was a huge miss.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Correct because of Rudolph. Like I said falling for fools gold could have cost us two drafts. Yes, you can. Like how we could of had Mark Andrews which has been a need for years instead of Rudolph which was a luxury pick.

7. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Devin Bush made 109 tackles and had two interceptions his rookie season, I think he filled a major need for us.

and how exactly would we have drafted Drew Lock with the second round pick (#52) we traded away to the Denver Broncos when he was chosen at #42?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 4
  8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    A bigger miss still was selecting Dobbs when Kittle went a few picks later, it’s mad to think he was available at the end of the fourth. I remember a lot of Steelers podcasts had him in their mock drafts. That said, I doubt they or even the 49ers had any idea how good he was or they would have taken him before the fifth round.

The draft is a bit of a crapshoot and there is little point looking back and trying to second guess picks though. Hopefully Bush turns out to be a great player on a great defence and we will all be very happy with that.

I’ve not completely given up on Rudolph btw and I am not annoyed they picked him. Picking a franchise QB is really really hard and most teams go through a few before getting their guy. The Steelers draft well for the most part.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Being in Denver earlier in the season, I was able to catch a couple games. Noah Fant was nothing special his rookie year. Had a horrible preseason and camp and that carried over into the season. I really wanted a TE early in the draft last year so I kept my eyes on him. He did put up some rookie records for a Denver TE, but their WR corp is pretty slim sans Courtland Sutton.

Fant wasn't that great a loss imo. 40 receps on 66 targets = 60%

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Much like is what’s being said about our WRs and TEs the QB play did him no favors. I think his production really picked up when Lock got going.

11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Not sold on Lock by any means. Doubt he ends up being a franchise QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    4F4824C3-C448-44DF-BBAD-BE128C91F987.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    To be fair, Bush's int against the Ravens shouldn't have counted. It hit the ground. All tackles no splash. You trade up into the Top 10 for a playmaker. Jury is still out on him.

I really don't have to explain this do I? I think I do... They took our pick and traded up for him. The Bush trade will always be evaluated as Drew Lock/Fant vs. Bush since that's what the Broncos got with our picks.

14. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    no, you said that WE could have gotten them both, and that's incorrect.

15. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Two biggest needs were QB & TE going into the draft last year SDOT? It wasn't ILB & WR?
    You truly are TODS backwards. Did you boycott the whole draft process last year?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m. not saying he is I’m just pointing out Fant improved with better QB play

17. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Yeah I hear ya. That was more directed at the original post.

• Like Like x 1
  18. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    We didn't need a QB last draft and the jury is still out as to if we'll be needing one this year but just to play along, outside of an unimaginable scenario where they could draft a QB that was worth a guff who would you go get? They don't have the picks and there really aren't any names that stick out.

AGAIN, there was no need to draft Lock and if they did you and many of us here myself included would have **** ourselves in disgust. As far as TE goes we could've used one last draft and actually got one and I suppose we'll see how he pans out but given the way the season went it would've mattered none anyhow.

I've already coined yinz TODS backwards but I think I'm just gonna start referencing yinz as Mr. MOOT.
    All in fun my brother.

19. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    WE couldn't have moved up like the Broncos did?

You two are missing the point.. If we didn't draft Mason Jagoff. Yes, QB could have been a need in last years draft. We fell for fools gold and his presence screwed up 2 drafts for us.

20. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    You really like this fool's gold comparison don't you? Josh Dobbs was a luxury pick too.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    If we didn't draft Big Ben then Tomlin wouldn't have any SB hardware. :shrug:
    If we didn't draft Nua & Herron we could have had Fitzmagic. :shrug:
    If we didn't draft Bush then we need Traitorson. :shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Why is Lock here?

Denver selected him with the 10th pick of the 2nd round.

We traded the 20th pick of the 1st round and the 20th pick of the 2nd round.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Lock was taken with the Bengals pick at 42.

Cincinnati traded their No 42 for the Broncos 52, 125, and 182.

24. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    FYI. Cincinnati selected TE Drew Sample with Pittsburgh's 52nd pick

2019 Stats 5 receptions for 30yds in his first year.

25. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Dobbs was a need. We needed to start developing a QB to be Ben's heir.

Who else in the NFL has two 1-4th round QBs battling for back-up QB?

Not how it works. We didn't trade with the Bengals. You look at what the Broncos got with our picks vs. what we got with theirs.