1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

"We can already say, without a doubt, that was a terrible pick."

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Steelers113

Steelers113 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Didn’t expect the pick, but I’ll support it. Saw many people here ok with us taking Reid in the first and he ended up in the third.

Hey I get it...I’m the one who started the thread “trading back”and questioned whether Tomlin and Colbert ever try it, but he’s not a bad player.

I suspect they believed that the linebackers left were not good coverage men and that having Edmunds would be better than having a player on their team who was less of an athelete with a “lb” next to their name.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I never doubted Mitchell’s speed - just the direction he applied it to.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree 100%, people seam to forget this is a message board and that is what you do. Also Rich Eisen was on yesterday afternoon and he was talking about grading the draft. He said you can't grade the draft right now but 3-5 years down the road, but what you can do is analyze it and I feel that is what we do here. We all have different opinions and we all see things differently, two guys can watch the same game and come up with two different opinions.

Let me add there are some really good people to talk with here and I get a lot of good/different views of not only players but scheme as well. There is IMO nothing wrong with saying something good or bad about a player since we are on a message board and letting someone else counter and maybe I will see it differently. :thumbs_up:

PS

One last thing a while listening to the radio a Steelers fan called in and said he had heard we tried to trade up(not sure where he got that info) in the first to grab Evans. Anyone else hear that rumor?

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

Sean Tomlinson of Bleacher Report already contradicts this notion:

"James is 6'2" and 215 pounds, and at the scouting combine he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.47 seconds. That's a turf-burning time at his size, and it was only the start of James' combine dominance. He also showed off his quick-twitch athleticism with a 40-inch vertical jump and a broad jump of 132 inches."

Meanwhile...

[​IMG]

Again...

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Very nice post cause I was that guy, I was the guy wanting Reid and if we drafted him over Edmunds I would be jumping for joy and look he don't get drafted until the 3rd 68th over all......just after Carter who some also thought could be a first round target of ours. So now I get it and I am fine with the pick, I was mad Thursday night even into Friday but the more I read the more I am understanding. :smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  6. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Mitchell had speed. He didnt know what to do when he got there. Clark wasnt a speed guy but he was a good safety. Edmunds will play ss anyway. I am guessing they got him to help in run support and cover tight ends which he can do. He has proved that already. These drsft gurus miss it every year. I dont need to go into any examples. We all know them.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The Allen pick for me was the head scratcher. I just didn't see his ability on tape that makes me think he will help much. I know they are high on him but I'm not sure at what spot. I didn't see attack dog in his game. Anyone know much about him that can shed some light as to where he will play?:cool:

8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

Betcha Bleacher Report had Jarvis Jones listed as a CAN'T MISS, PLUG AND PLAY, NFL READY OUTSIDE LINEBACKER!!! :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    As Colbert said we stick to how we value players and not how analyst value them. The big 4 LB were gone and Edmund's was their choice for S, so they made the pick. It doesn't matter to them that it was first Rd. or not just that he was the next highest player that they wanted so he was the pick. Now we get this kid for 5 years. Pretty simple approach. Next man up. :cool:

10. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Fowler is reporting many NFL execs had a 1st on him. One even said top 15 talent. I’m not a fan but if this is true NFL execs have more info and knowledge than I do so I’m going to have to go with them on it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    RIP Narrative.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    but, but, but

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe you were catatonic during the weekend because of who they picked but AQL and a whole bunch of us have already spoke positively about the Edmunds pick. I mean it was only 4 days before you posted this, people couldn't possibly have discussed the number 1 drat pick in that time.

A quick look at the threads on the board and you'd know that already or you did and just wanted to post this earth shattering revelation that the pick absolutely sucks because some drafnik didnt have a glowing analysis of him.

Want a prediction? I predict that we'll have a repeat of JuJu's selection. "Uh, um, yeah, I didnt like the pick but damn that JuJu is good". Just insert Edmunds name instead. There ya go.

15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I like the Edmunds pick. Been a VA Tech fan almost as long as Steelers. Edmunds is raw for NFL standards, but I think he can excel on the Steelers D with good coaching. VA Tech has produced some good talent on the defensive side of the ball.... Hall, Chancellor and Worilds, just to name a few.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You're so predictable, we knew whatever you had to say it would be negative :shrug:.

17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Allen sucks in coverage, he has 1 career int. He's supposed to be a big hitter though.

18. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Great post, NY. This is exactly the place to give your opinions and discuss. Well said. And there is a ton of great info available here and mostly great people too.

And let's face it, now that these kids are Steelers there's not a single one of us who doesn't want them to excel.

As to the "trading up" rumor, I've been hearing a lot this week on 93.7 the Fan, but I think it originated with Gerry Dulac on draft night.

• Like Like x 1
  19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

More than likely he is the one who will see some sub package looks; Strong Safety namely as he is superb at that position. He has short to intermediate range and, like steelersrule6 stated, will strike you.

Essentially, he is box safety with tempo setting capabilities. Problem is, he is nothing more than a box safety.

• Like Like x 1
  20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

I just didn't see a lot of that on tape. Maybe I should look deeper.:cool:

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

What speficially? The striking or the aforementioned range?

22. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Lol, mac. I swear I'm not disagreeing you on every pick just to be contrarian, but I really like Allen at SS/Dime LB. I think he's pretty much the same guy as Edmunds just half a step slower. My problem with his selection was that we already have Davis, Burnett, and Edmunds who are all similar players.

I only watched 4 of his games (watching Iowa game right now) vs 5 of Edmunds and he plays great near the LOS. Pretty impressive read and react quickness and shows good instincts vs the run.

But Steelersrule6 is right, he's not great in coverage. I don't think I can see him ever being great playing deep half but he could be serviceable. Unfortunately like Edmunds, I don't see any free safety/deep middle traits at all. They both seem to lack awareness of potential route combinations.

As always this is just my opinion, but I think either Edmunds or Allen could supplant Davis as SS during camp with Burnett playing free.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Really both. He didn't seem very aggressive from what I saw.:cool:

24. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Yeah, I'd have been pretty darn excited had we gotten Reid in the 2nd. I hope Washington's the next JuJu, but we still need a free safety.

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011