1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

"We can already say, without a doubt, that was a terrible pick."

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    From beacherreport.com

1. The Buffalo Bills got good value when they selected former Virginia Tech linebacker Tremaine Edmunds with the 16th overall pick. The Pittsburgh Steelers drafted his brother and former teammate, safety Terrell Edmunds, 28th overall. A value pick he was not.

This isn't to say Edmunds won't develop into a good pro. He was a solid college player and has good measurables (6'1", 217 lbs), but he isn't anything special. He ran a decent 4.47-second 40 at the combine and logged just two interceptions in 2017.

Pretty much no one saw him as a potential first-round pick. In fact, Zierlein predicted he would be a third-rounder at best.

Heck, Miller had Edmunds rated as his 11th-best safety. That's right, he had 10 safeties rated higher than Edmunds, yet only two—Minkah Fitzpatrick and Derwin James—were taken ahead of him. It seems unlikely the Steelers couldn't have traded down with this pick or up in the second round and still landed him.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    More pre-mature "knee-jerk" evaluations?! This has never been done before in the history of Professional Sports!

In fact, I am so shocked by this development, there can be only one way to describe it!!

[​IMG]

Better yet?!

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  3. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    I am going on record in predicting this was a poor draft pick. I am laying my stones on the table. What are you doing, other than general fluffing, afraid to make any actual predictions? Playing it safe, while ridiculing others for having the brass to make a call.

So lay it on the line: Is Edmunds a smart pick? Don't hide and make general fluffing sounds. The fact we could have got him in at least the 3rd round, if not later, proves it was a dumb pick. As a matter of fact, he is the most oft mentioned player as the worst reach of the draft.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    How about we see him play first, instead of continually bashing the pick.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Maybe Colbert and Tomlin got confused and thought they were drafting his brother?o_O;+)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

To find my full response to your challenge, I implore you read this first:

http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/threads/trust-the-process-the-2018-steelers-draft-review.19531/

After completing that, please continue onward to read this for my ultimate thoughts upon not just Terrell but the draft:

http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/t...ll-be-fine-in-2018-and-into-the-future.19534/

Once you have perused through those two, I look forward to hearing your rebuttal as those pieces answers your questions but in a more sophisticated and efficient way.

I have stated my case. Please read those to find my response. As I said, I do look forward towards your counter-argument.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SSylvester

SSylvester Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I am not a big fan of this draft class (wanted more defensive help), but too early to tell. How many people would have said "Worst Pick Ever" if the Steelers had drafted Antonio Brown in the first round? Probably the whole TheSteelersFans Board.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

That answer is simple.

People like to bash aspects or subjects using raw impluses and emotion while ignoring intuition, history and the current state of affairs.

9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Well, if some guy on Bleacher Report said it was a terrible pick because a couple draft writers didn't have him ranked high on their list of safeties, then consider me convinced. :)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Who is Miller? Is he the same guy who evaluated Tom Brady? Or Montana? Or Aaron Rodgers? Or Antonio Brown? Or is he the guy who ranked Ryan Leaf on the same level as Peyton Manning?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Edmunds would not have lasted until the 3rd round. The Colts loved the guy and had 3 2nd round selections. All 3 of the Colts 2nd round picks were before the Steelers 2nd rounder. If that was their guy, he wouldn't have been there for them at 2.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

Having Malik Hooker is one issue. Having the likes of Terrell Edmunds as well?

That would be one scary tandem.

13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Safeties are like one size fits most pants right? So ranking them with no regard to system seems like the right step too.

14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Cards on the table I'm calling your Bleacher report writer a hack who is after click bait and the draft expert rankings generic with zero insight into what the Steelers need, what their intentions are or how Bradley will coach them. I will go so far as to say with help from the vets both Edmunds and Allen will make impacts in the upcoming season

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I too have been critical of the first pick not because of the player but the position he was picked. I have read how so many people had given him a round 3-4-5 grade. On the radio today they were talking about this pick and they brought up at least 2 gm's had him(Edmunds) as a 2nd rounder. With that said picking at 28 is like a 2nd rounder imo. So they brought up another thing what was picked after the Steelers took Edmunds? DT - CB - RB - QB...end of the first. OT - G - RB - LB(LEONARD) - OT - RB - C - WR - DE - TE - RB - WR - CB - DL - WR - OLB(NWOSU) - TE - OT - WR - DE - CB......S(BATES)pick#54 who many liked CB - CB - DL - CB - RB then we picked wr Washinton. Many wanted ILB where was the ILB value at 28 where we picked? So while the Steelers may have drafted this kid a little early they got value for what they were looking for and I am fine with that. Looking at it this way really changed the way I see this pick. :smiley1:

16. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I completely agree. I saw that pick and thought really? What are you thinking. There’s so many better safeties and corners than Edmunds. Heck I was watching the post draft show and they were saying how surprised they were that the Steelers took him. Especially in the first round.

He’s got good size over all but he’s slow compared to what we could of had. Then we pick another wide receiver. I guess they weren’t paying attention in the playoffs or even the Pats game. We need GOOD defensive help. CB’s, DT, and a Safety. I guess we’ll see again this year!

17. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Has anyone seen the kid's tape from last year? I have not. He had an injured shoulder all this year which may be why he didn't look so hot on this year's tape. Could be they liked what they saw last year combined with his outstanding SPARQ score.

He's ours now so I hope he takes the league by storm. :herewego:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  18. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Edmunds: going to be a solid pro because of pedigree, leadership, and size (about 15 pounds lighter than Shazier) so he gives us options as a hybrid DB who can fill in holes like an ILB. He is going no where but UP. Also made Wilcox expendable to help w salary cap. Because we got a solid DB PRO, allowed us to move to offense and get... truth be told I was bummed about Bryant but it didnt last long when we snagged the winner of the best college football receiver award in Washington and than got a QB, so in my mind I am alright with the pick

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He keeps sinking lower every time I hear him discussed. Pretty soon he will be in next year's draft hell be ranked so low.:eek::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    My grade for this draft is a D.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Know what the most intriguing yet hypocritical aspect of this "shock jock" take on Terrell is? His speed.

Meanwhile, Derwin James is praised in another article on Bleacher Report for running the exact same timed speed.

Seriously though. These "shock jocks"....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Listen, if only waited to see what happened without making predictions, we wouldn't need a message board or talk radio.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    4.47 is blazing fast for a strong safety. One thing's for sure: nobody can question the kid's athleticism.

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Well... given the fact that Bleacher Report contradicted itself... I would not say that. :lolol:

25. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017

They brought up his speed, saying how it was merely decent, not earth shattering. 4.47 is solid for a DB, but even Mike Mitchell was faster. His grade is "could become a starter" grade. A 1st rounder? Gee, that would be nice.