1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

We are a good football team

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Sep 20, 2016.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    not #1 like some power rankings put us, but darn good. Let me explain.

Washington ain't that good but they made the playoffs last year, and we usually lose to inferior teams and start off slow. What did we do? Beat them soundly like we should. For reference, Dallas barely won.

Bengals. Yeah, the rain made our D look better than it is, but in reality Dalton was being hurried A LOT. Yeah our pass rush didn't hit home but man it did what it should do. They scored in garbage time in a blown tackle by a rookie(burns).

-This defense is good, like I bet top 5 good at the end of the year. Sure the lack of sacks is frustrating, but it's getting it done. Basically an improved version of last year. At the end of the year I actually believe our secondary is going to be good, not elite but good. Let's peg that at an elite D line, Really good ILB crew, poor edge rushing, and good secondary.

-This eagles game will really tell us how good this team is.

BTW, everyone knock on wood please.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Also our O line is rock solid, and when Bell comes back he will add more to the offense than you think. #1 RB, like a #2 receiver.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    When the Steelers can beat .500 or worse teams consistently... then they will be a "good" football team.

The AFC has turned into the old BCS race before the playoff started. The Patriots will automatically win the #1 seed because of their crap division. #2 seed is up for grabs with Steelers, Broncos, Texans, Raiders, Bengals and Chiefs battling it out. Teams must stack wins... at least 12, maybe 13, to get playoff bye week and #2 seed. 10 or 11 wins will not cut it.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's rain

• Like Like x 2
  5. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    That game Sunday is a game we would normally lose with Ben being off but they won. I have a good feeling about this team.

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Just push play and let it run for a few more weeks before firing any stogies.
    looking forward to redeeming that egg we laid against Philly in ps-2. But doing it on their turf.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Offensively, I have basically one concern, which may go away when Wheaton and Green return, but I worry about production should a team be able to take Brown out of the game like they did Brown on Sunday.

Specials, I basically have ZERO concern. This group is solid.

Defensively, I think we all know the concerns, but there are also some positives. We are getting contributions on D from 3 rookies. When was the last time that happened? Obviously I would like to improve our pass rush, but we are missing Dupree and hopefully that changes when he returns.

This team is missing Golson, Green, Bell, and Dupree...and yet has won 2 games against 2 teams who were in the playoffs, and are expected to make a run at them this year, without those guys. Are we a finished product? Not in any way shape or form.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I wouldn't mind an 08 Eagles game result, as long as we have an 08 season overall result :)

9. francobettis

francobettis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I will never be satisfied until we convincingly beat the hated Patriots. They've owned us for the past 15 years.
    I remembered back during early Neil Odonnell days, we could not get by the Bills, but eventually, the tide changed and we started to dominate them on a regular basis. That is when I felt like we are a very good team.

10. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    We are definitely a good team. Idk why there is much debate there. When totally healthy we have the best offense in the league. An elite QB, the best WR in the league, best all around RB in the league, and a solid OLine. There really isn't a weakness there.

The D is progressing nicely. Gay and Cockrell are adequate. Golden is playing really well, Mitchell is his same old self (which I love). Shazier is balling out, and we have a very good 3 and 4 man from on the DLine. All we need is Dupree back.

I like what we've seen so far. Went on the road and whooped on a decent Redskins team and were clearly the better football team against a good Bengals team. If we keep progressing on defense and stay healthy we will be dangerous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Why a good team? Why not a great one?

Last time I checked, good teams win when they want to. Great teams win when they have to.

More importantly, good teams search for ways to win when they do not play well. Great teams find ways to win even when they do not play well. Such was the case of yesterday.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I do not think Ramon Foster is the second coming of Chris Kemoeatu (spelling it wrong likely I know). For that matter;

2016 offensive line > 2008 offensive line multiplied by 10.

13. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The thing about Kemo was he always seemed to be just a dumb penalty waiting to happen. That was always an issue I had with him. The main issue I had with Max Starks is that he was terrible. I think Ramon Foster has definitely grown in to a more solid player than he initially was for sure.

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

My goodness. How could I forget Max...

If that is the case, Big Al is leagues above him already...

15. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah and what's funny about that is AV is the definite weak link of the line. He would have looked like Orlando Pace back then though. LOL!

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

If that is the weak link of the line and he is still improving considering this is his sophomore season.. Ben has little to worry about..

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Good without Bell, Dupree and Wheaton. Great with those 3 for sure. Maybe even throw in Green in this scenario however he is an unknown so far as a Steeler since he has not taken a snap.

18. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Lol or Jonathan Scott.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

All the more reason I said great teams find ways to win. Better yet..

Great teams aren't always great. They are great when they have to be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am really excited about our offense and cautiously optimistic about what I have seen from the D so far this year

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

Bell is probably freaking out seeing D Will is leading the league in rushing, i'll bet he cant wait to get back for week 4, maybe the dumb jerk can report for drug testing on time for the rest of the year and quit using pot for ever.........

22. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree Diamond. His skin is crawling watching how effective DWill has been rushing. Hopefully he can get his proverbial **** together and become a team mate instead of a liability to this team

23. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    From PressBoxOnline:

Glenn Clark's NFL Power Rankings: Week Three

1. Pittsburgh Steelers (2-0 overall record, No. 1 ranking last week)
    After Week One, we thought they might be the deepest team in the league. Then they decided to throw tight end Jesse James and something called a Xavier Grimble (he plays tight end, too, apparently) into the mix because they were just kind of there and they had nothing better to do with them. They're scary.

24. BRABLB

BRABLB New Member

Sep 21, 2016
    IMO, this team is an edge rusher away from having it all. I'm feeling better by the week by the secondary's improvements.

That being said, they've mostly run 7-8 man coverages the first two games and most likely will do the same this weekend. So, I don't want to ***** too much about the lack of pressure. But, it is concerning if the push doesn't improve.

25. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Damn, and just like you guessed.

Rooster blocked a third time by pats.

Sorry to necro, just wanted to see our hopes and dreams lol