1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Way too early wishlist

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Ender, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Here’s my initial wishlist having done no research yet whatsoever:

Pick 1. Joey Porter Jr. CB Penn State
    Pick 2a. Jarrett Patterson OG/C Notre Dame
    Pick 2b. Jack Campbell ILB Iowa
    Pick 3. Jaelyn Duncan OT Maryland (Tomlin won’t be able to help himself. He loves Terrapins)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I think Porter is a top 10 or top 5 pick easy. I think round 3 is too high for Duncan. He has a lot of pass protection issues and isn't really all that strong for his size. I like Schimtz as a center in that round better. Thanks for posting

3. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Good insight. I haven’t watched a lick of film yet so I didn’t realize Porter was that good. I’ve heard of Schmitz so I will check him out too.

My feeling is that it will be tough to get a top notch LT at 17 or 32, but you can realistically get a slam dunk OG/C there.

Instant upgrade at LG because even if the guy you draft is better at C, you can slide Cole over. I don’t wanna see Dotson or Kendrick Green at LG anymore.

4. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    I agree with you on getting a good center to slide Cole over. I think that will automatically upgrade the offensive line. Man if Porter fell to us that would be like an act of God!!! :)

5. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Not a bad list. Here is mine.
    CB’s - Cam Smith, Gonzalez, Porter Jr. Witherspoon
    G’s O’Cyrus Torrence, Vorheer
    ILB - Drew Anderson
    SS - JL Spinner

Ideal Draft -

Trade back with Dallas and pick up their first and second and we give up our first and sixth and next years fourth. Trade up in 2nd by giving up a 2nd and 4th this year for a higher 2nd pick.
    Pick 1 - Joey Porter Jr. CB
    Pick 2A - Drew Anderson ILB
    Pick 2B - Vorhees G
    Pick 3 JL Skinner SS
    Pick 6 - WR or Edge
    Pick 7 Edge or WR whatever wasn’t chosen in rd 6

This all works provided we resign Cam Sutton and pick up blue chip DL in free agency.

I know we didn’t get the LT but Moore is good enough and could be better with a better guard next to him. Plus as we introduce play action next year and open up the offense a little bit hopefully that will neutralize the outside pressure. At any rate I really don’t see top tier talent at LT in this class anyway. The Northwestern guy is talented but he lacks ideal size for LT. I don’t want are OL getting smaller, I would prefer if anything for it to get bigger.

6. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Round 1- any of the CBs you named. Maybe even trade back and get Clark Phillips III. But please God not Kelee Ringo.
    2A- O'Cyrus Torrence, G.
    2B- Saika Ika, NT
    3- Drew Sanders or Demarvin Overshown, ILBs
    4- Warren McClendon OT or Luke Wypler C.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    It would probably require using the first of our second round picks, but I would love to see Darnel Washington in the black and gold. A 6’7” 270lb te that can run, catch, and block paired with muth oh my

8. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I've been thinking the same way. Kenny loves hitting Muth up the seams. If we had 2 security blankets for KP, that are both blocking and receiving threats, that could not only make the offense really hard to defend, but most importantly, help to make KP comfortable and help him develop.

And, I can't imagine that they don't want to add another receiving option after losing Claypool.

I don't know if Heyward gives the options that a top end TE does. But, if you add another receiving threat TE, Heyward doesn't really have much of a role left. Not that it breaks my heart or anything

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    The more I watch CB Smith ....the more I want Him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Dude is a stud

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agreed

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Going to be an unpopular opinion but O'Cyrus Torrence would be on my short list of Round One options. If there is an immediate plug 'n' play player within the Top 20... he is no doubt it. For me, he is a Top 15 talent and I could argue he is the best Offensive Lineman in the class; regardless of Position.

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    We're going to have to see what happens at the combine and such, but Torrence seems to be in that range where we could trade back in the first or up from 33 to take him. Not seeing him ranked top 15 anywhere, but a lot of 25-35. I don't think there's much of a chance, right now, of him falling to 35, but what do I know? I'm not a talking head.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    He is my #1 player. But unfortunately our guards played slightly better than our Tackles. So I'd both he and Jones are available, I'd be torn.

15. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Absolutely agree. And it really goes along with how the Steelers build OLines. We've always been strong on the IOL with above average T's. I take O'Cyrus at 17 and Ika at 32 then look at DB or LB at 49. I'd prefer to take CB at 17 but I don't see O'Cyrus dropping to 32 nor do I see Ika dropping to 49.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    This is my hope too. O'Cyrus to block for our running game and Ika to stop the run. We have to play the Ravens and Browns twice a year and stopping the run is imperative in the AFC North.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    What do we do with the Bengals then?

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    Finish second behind them.

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No

• Like Like x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
  21. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I hope they sign Sutton too. And I agree about the kid from Northwestern. I’m reading that some scouts think he’s a guard in the NFL and won’t be able to play tackle

22. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    Yeah I read one report that says that he will be an "adequate" NFL OT. That's fine if you take him in round 3 but you want your first rounder to be more than adequate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    I saw PFF's mock had him going to the Ravens to pair up with Mark Andrews. I sure hope that doesn't happen.

24. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    Would be great but what leads you to believe the Steelers would use two tight ends when they barely use the one good one they have now?? I would LOVE to see them go two tight ends once in a while but that doesn't seem to be in the cards at this point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    • Like Like x 1