1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Way too early look at next yrs potential draft targets

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Apr 28, 2024.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    QB:

Russell Wilson is a bit long in the tooth and it's unclear if we can fix what Chicago did to Fields.

1. Shedeur Sanders

2. Alabama's Jalen Milroe

RB:

Unknown what Najee's asking price will be

1. OK State's Ollie Gordon
    2. NC's Omarion Hampton
    3. Ohio state's Treveyon Henderson

WR:

Can't see all of the FA acquisitions staying beyond this season

1. Arizona's Tetairoa McMillan
    2. Ohio state's Emeka Egbuga
    3. Alabama's Isaiah Bond

TE:

Pretty much set here, but just to round out the rm

1. Iowa's Luke Lachay

OT:

Assuming Dan Moore walks or gets traded/released we will need depth

1. Princeton's Jalen Travis
    2. Oregon's Ajani Cornelius

OG/C:

N/A
    Starters and depth are set here for a little bit

D-line:

Heyward's on borrowed time.... Ogunjobi probably needs to go, and Leal is a bust... we're probably looking at the position that gets the most attention early on

1. Arkansas's Landon Jackson
    2. Harvard's Thor Griffith
    3. Alabama's Jaheim Oatis
    4. Kentucky's Deone Walker
    5. Cincinnati's Dontay Corleone
    6. Georgia's Nazir Stackhouse

Olb:

We're only 3 deep here... more depth is needed

1. Kentucky's Keaton Wade

ILB:
    N/A
    Pretty set here, barring injury or unless a can't miss value presents itself

1. LSU's Harold Perkins
    2. Clemson's Barrett Carter
    3. Bama's Shawn Murphy
    4. Georgia's Jamon Dumas-Johnson

CB:

Another position likely targeted early

1. Michigan's Will Johnson
    2. Notre Dame's Ben Morrison
    3. Arizona's Tacario Davis
    4. Oregon's Travis Hunter
    5. Ohio state's Denzel Burke

S:
    We've been looking for a running mate next to Minkah for too long

1. Penn State's Kevin Winston
    2. Iowa's Xavier Nwankpa
    3. Cincinnati's Deshawn Pace

Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I don’t know ANYTHING about the guy, but I definitely want a defensive lineman named “Thor”!

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011

Truthfully, that's the only reason I listed him

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Lot will change,,but I like the list as of now.

5. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I think QB is going to be deeper than those two with Ewers and Van Dyke around. I think it's worth noting QB as our long-term plans are far from settled. I hope Fields ends up being that guy, but I'm doubtful he will. If QB is settled, barring FA/trade acquisitions WR, DT and CB will likely headline that draft. But it's moons away.

• Like Like x 1
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    We need to hope to get a franchise QB soon to go with what seems like solid young guys.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Just gonna copy and paste my way too early positional review here:

1.) WR: Back to back?! No transcendent talent here and the depth isn't nearly as big as 2024 but this class can still prove to be special once it is all said and done. Luther Burden III though... is one hell of a WR to watch. Tetairoa McMillan is Johnny Wilson from FSU but supercharged from a technique and discipline standpoint; a true matchup nightmare for any CB. Emeka Egbuka from Ohio State is arguably the best route runner in the class while Isaiah Bond from Alabama may challenge Xaiver Worthy's legendary 40 time.

2.) EDGE: James Pearce Jr. from Tennessee spearheads the return of this position back to prominence. Nick Scourton from Purdue reminds me fondly of George Karlatfis and Landon Jackson from Arkansas is one of the more toolsy EDGE's to come out since Tyree Wilson. Thing is, Jackson is more developed. If anything, don't be surprised if EDGE ends up number one by seasons end.

3.) IDL: As you pointed out, a great incoming class here. Mason Graham from Michigan is clearly the big one but Deone Walker from Kentucky, Tyliek Williams out of Ohio State and even Jaheim Oatis from Alabama are either within or will be within First Round consideration.

4.) CB: In terms of the best of the best?! The best among the best for any position group; period. Travis Hunter leads the headways but Benjamin Morrison from Notre Dame and Will Johnson from Michigan are as equally impressive... if not more. Jabar Muhammed just may be the best Slot CB to come out in some time as well. After these four, along with Hunter, scheme dependent but this class isn't lacking in both size and speed; Tacario Davis from Arizona being a 6'4 Avatar himself.

5.) Safety: Kevin Winston Jr. from Penn State is more of a multi role Safety but possesses arguably the best range of any Safety in the class. Xavier Nwankpa from Iowa is a near carbon copy of Cooper DeJean but more refined as a Safety with far more man coverage chops and athleticism to boot. Rod Moore from Michigan just may be the best all around Free Safety in the class and Malaki Starks has some of the best coverage skills I have seen a SS since Derwin James. Major reason this group isn't higher is because the Corner group above them has players I have graded higher from their best of group.

6.) QBs: Quinn Ewers, Carson Beck, Shedeur Sanders and Jalen Milroe. The big three of the group though Drew Allar from Penn State may have something to say about this by the time the season is up. There is good depth here, such as Tyler Van Dyke from Miami or even Conner Weigman from Texas A&M but the talent and depth levels fall off hard after that imo.

7.) OT: Kevin Banks Jr. from Texas and Will Johnson from LSU will be great additions to any team. After them?! Some guess work there. Jonah Savaiinaea looks the part but is best suited for the IOL and Josh Conley Jr. isn't nearly as springy or seems to be as long as someone like RaShawn Slater or Troy Fautanu was. That said, some good options here but a far cry from the 2024 Class.

8.) RB: Finally!! A superb talent I can get behind since SaQuon Barkely. Ollie Gordon III doesn't have Barkley's elusiveness nor agility but he does have Barkley's Ball Carrier Vision, Play Recognition, Power and Instincts. Omarion Hampton plays faster than he is likely to time while being one of the 2025 Classes most electrifying players. Both warrant a Top 20 selection. For me though, after these two?! The drop off is massive. I do like TreVeyon Henderson but not to the same level of admiration as others at this stage.

9.) Linebacker: Depth wise?! Up there with the likes of IDL and EDGE. The problem?! Harold Perkins from LSU, Barrett Carter from Clemson and Shawn Murphy from Alabama are the clear runaways of this class. Danny Stutsman from Oklahoma does give me Payton Wilson/Troy Anderson vibes but I don't see nearly the same level of athleticism.. though his anticipation makes up for it. Keaton Wade from Kentucky is one of my favorite 'Backers as he has some of the best pass coverage chops among all LBs.

10.) IOL: Not only is the talent a major drop off from 2024 in a big way, even if accounting for someone like Jonah Savaiinaea from Arizona to kick inside, this groups depth is among the worst. Talent isn't too much better either. Other than Jonah, Tyler Booker is the best IOL of the bunch but the fall off after him is pretty bad.

11.) TE: *Whew*... just.. yikes! Luke Lachey from Iowa better have a season for the ages. Coslton Loveland can be argued for not just being better than Lachey but also possibly being a First Round Consideration. Thing is... his blocking simply isn't on the level that Luke's is. Beyond these two?! Very, very schematically limited.

• Like Like x 2
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Justin Fileds says hi

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Sorry but HAHAHAHA. Obviously I want it but don't see it. We will re-visit in 2 years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Steelers 1st round pick next year is a DL. Guaranteed. They fixed the OL the last two years and Andy will start working the other side of the trench.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Unless the Steelers are picking top five Sanders will be long gone by the time the Steelers are on the clock.

12. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Another outstanding read. I also agree wholeheartedly with the qb situation. I am hoping it works out of course, but the deck I believe is stacked against us.
    Also, it is definitely not a long term fix. I like the Travis Hunter comment. Not sold on the other 2 qbs tho. Sanders and Milroe.
    Once again nice post

• Like Like x 1
  13. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    California air

14. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    No way you take Sanders, that's a headache waiting to happen

15. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Maybe, Justin Fileds has more potential than Justin Fields:roflmao::eek::roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  16. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    I really wanted Rattler in the 6 rd. He couldve sat a year or two to develop. I most likely am wrong, but we will see how Rattler pans out with the Saints.

• Like Like x 1
  17. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I wanted him to,

• Like Like x 2
  18. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    No doubt. But there's a thing called a trade up to get there.

19. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Ewers is interesting. He's holding off some physical freaks behind him. If they have a serious run in the SEC west with Saban being gone, he could be the reason and be in Heisman contention.

20. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
  21. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Don’t want anything to do with Sanders. I think you would be inviting a ton of unwanted drama with his Dad if you chose him.

I don’t know about prospects yet but they definitely have to attack the defensive line and Cb room like they did the offensive line the last two years. Throw in a WR as well.

22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Arch Manning had a pretty damn good showcasing at the Spring Game. That said, Ewers is still in the driver's seat for Texas. How long will Quinns leash be will be interesting.

Drew Allar from Penn State though is definitley someone I would monitor. Dude just looks and feels like a Steeler.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011

What's Prime gonna do??? Leave Colorado to meddle in Steelers business???
    He still has a team to coach himself

24. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Thats exactly what he will do.

• Like Like x 1
  25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    perales at OLB has shown some flashes. i don't think we are just 3 deep. they liked him, he got poached off the PS and they brought him back. :cool: