1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

way early mock

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Feb 10, 2016.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it's early and no moves have been made thus far but i'm going to do an early mock anyway. some may agree and some won't but trying to think the way MT and KC do there thinking. ( i know thats scary at times)

1. hunter henry TE - heath is running out of time. james looks like a guy that could supplant spaeth as the #2 TE if he keeps improving. will johnson may be on his way out for nix. if henry is sitting there it just may be the time to just do it, giving us two good TE's for the future and heath on his farewell tour next year.

2, jeremy cash SS - i think he may be sitting there for us. i think vonn bell whom i would prefer will go before him. we need a good safety to bring along and would fit the bill for the future. if he's there we would have to pull the trigger.

3. shawn oakman DE - they seem to like to gamble a bit with potential in the 3rd. oakman could be a guy to do that with as a stand up pass rusher off the edge on passing downs or end up as depth to heyward and tuitt. possibly a fit as this hybrid D keeps unfolding and we try different things to get pressure.

4. DJ white CB - i think this kid has some good coverage skills and tackles well. he can play on the outside. he has some traits the steelers look for in DB's, he shows me a little deshea townsend/willie gay type skills. if he's there in the 4th it would be as solid a pick as they could make. i think we could end up suprised by his game and his fit here. i'm not giving up on grant,golson,cockrell just yet and the addition of cash and white would give us some really good young talent to work with in the near future.

there it is. maybe not what we all want but i think could be a very solid draft and fill some holes that we need filled. all at this point should be near where we will be drafting. have at it guys. be nice.:smiley1::cool:

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am liking this way early mock.Is there an OLB we can insert in the third slot?

3. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I like it but I have a strong feeling we go qb with a pick somewhere

4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we have 3 7th rounders to work with, or should have. maybe a late flyer on a LB or a qb there. oakman may be used as a stand up pass rusher too possibly.:cool:

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Oakman is a physical freak, but his production on the field is lacking.

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yea he's a flash player but with the right coaching and environment i think he could become a better pro than college player. the physical talents are there. if we could nab that in the 3rd it could be a good gamble that pays off. he wouldn't need to be a starter right off the bat. maybe worked in as a specialty pass rusher. :cool:

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'd like Cash in the 2nd, he'd definitely help in the tackling dept. Just not sure on his coverage skills, I watched 2 Duke games. One vs Army, so he was against a run heavy offense and the second game he was injured, wrist IIRC. I'll be definitely watching combine etc and see if I can find some other games.

Don't know much about DJ White, I need to check him out.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    another guy i like is kyler fackrell. this kid has some size and speed and plays OLB on either side for utah state. seems like a pretty fluid pass rusher and coverage guy. he moves well. that either side thingy is attractive. probably would have to be 2nd rd. :cool:

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    this mock is looking better with todays announcement.:cool:

10. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I was just thinking the same thing......lol :applaud:

11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

I would rather htake Vannet than Henry

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i do like vannett a lot too. :cool:

13. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

I know Henry is the top rated TE, but don't think he's worthy of a 1st round selection. I believe wholeheartedly he will be a jarvis jones type first round pick. A wasted first round pick.

On a completely unrelated topic Woodley and Worilds really piss me off. Those two have basically forced us into drafting OLB and hoping they make an immediate impact.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree the OLB position still isn't solidified. i could see another pick at this spot. probably not in the first but early. moats was underwhelming as well. dupree has a lot of upside though. i'm still hoping for chickillo to make a little noise this year.

as for TE, i wonder if this means spaeth for another season now? :cool:

15. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Here's another this pisses me off. Dri @#$#$#$%# Archer. They knew we would need another TE or two and they take that smurf. GB snagged a TE with the next pick. Their selection caught 60 passes for 500 yards and 8 td's in 2015 while ours was cut midseason for a washed up jacoby jones

16. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    watch henry alittle bit and you will see that he is the best to have come out in a few years. I think. he played in a crap system on a team that has been turned upside down a ton. he is worth the 25th pick. trust me. he has even been compared to heath so for me its a no-brainer IF he is there.

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Well they got Jesse last year. I don't think they avoided the position, they seemed to get one every year it seems. Not higher than the 3rd round though where Archer was taken.

18. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

and we still need two more tight ends

19. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    there is no scenario where drafting a TE in the 1st round is an acceptable move. terrible move.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Is he though or just the best of a underwhelming draft class? Kind of reminds me of Maxx from last year.

The last TE I really wanted was Eifert, thought he was perfect for the NFL (I'm partial to ND players too). I'm not a Jarvis Basher at all but I wish we had taken Eifert instead. We'd be set at the position.

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Spaeth for another year as a blocker, Jesse James in the rotation as well as a draft pick at TE so they don't need two more tight ends.

22. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    I understand but it's just my opinion. I think henry will be better. The run first offense Arkansas ran past 2 years helped him become a better blocker. I think he runs great routes and catches just about everything

23. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Any of you guys know about Darian Thompson from Boise State? He's a safety that I saw a story on where someone was saying they thought we might take him. I don't keep up with college so I'm totally in the blind until draft day and then I start watching highlight reels.

24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think Henry is way better than Maxx Williams. As good of a receiver, but a much better blocker. He may be worthy of the 25th pick, however I'm not sure he'd be the best guy for us to take at 25. Got to see what we do before the draft, and who else is there at 25.

25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yes, he's a very good safety prospect. He can play in the box or center field.