1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Watt wins Steelers MVP award

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by NY STEELERFAN, Dec 26, 2019.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Clear cut winner totally deserving.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    That's the correct pick he has had a great season.

The only question is who goes off the rails and totally bat **** crazy out of petty jealousy.

I heard AB was expecting it this year.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Slowly but surely scrubbing that traitor from the history books

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He should win defensive mvp ... just with the stats that he have now. Hopefully, he will get 2 sacks against the ravens to tie deebo.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Who?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I guess Dupree will go off like AB did :lolol:

8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    TJ Watt is a man among boys. His high motor, fierceness and great instincts have gotten him in the running for DPOY. He deserves to win it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Like above totally deserving.

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Without a doubt well earned! Liked the selection at pick 30 back in 2017. Love it now!

Definitely a DPOY Candidate for certain. One more big game and he should have the award locked up.

Power Up The WATTage!!

:steelflag:

11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Watt is our best defensive player since Polamalu and Traitorson. Fitzpatrick is good too, but he's been quiet lately.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Sure there will be some good nature fun in the Watt family.

Bravo Zulu Watt!!!!!

13. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Fixed that for you :thumbs_up:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Fitzpatrick has been just as stellar as T.J. Watt. Interceptions are a very toxic stat that is heavily influenced by multiple factors. Cannot rely on those mutli factor events occuring every single game. More over to the point, Free Safeties need to be more than just mere turnover machines despite that being their biggest benefit.

Single High Free Safeties who can play the Deep Centerfield have three primary functions that go beyond generating turnovers. The first and foremost is to prevent the Deep plays from ever occuring. The second is preventing offenses from attacking ones defense between the numbers in which the area between the Mack Linebacker and Free Safety is most exposed. The third and, by far both the most underrated yet important aspect, is communication. Ensuring that everyone on the back end maintains the structure of the coverage is just merely one aspect. Calling out receiving patterns, dictating which coverages to be used as well as coverage changes are just but a fragment of what Free Safeties have to not just recognize pre snap but also relay that information to their secondary.

Minkah has done that and more. Pittsburgh is currently 8th in the NFL in pass plays given up of 20+ yards or more with 42 total. In addition, Pittsburgh is ranked 8th in pass plays of 40+ or more with 6.

For reference, Pittsburgh ranked 16th in 2018 in pass plays of 20+ or more given up with 53; an 11 play difference. In the pass plays of 40+ or more given up, their rank was 7th but with 7. One more play might not seem like much but plays of that magnitude usually end up in one's own side of the field; points being given up as a result.

Keep in mind that the aforementioned stats in 2018 were with T.J. Watt. That T.J. Watt had more than 10 sacks and 5 FF the same. Our pass coverage still stinked.

Enter Minkah. Since his arrival, MASSIVE change. Teams don't throw on this squad wily nily like they used to. Very costly if they do.

Overall, while I do agree that T.J. Watt is most deserving of the award, to say he is the best defensive player is a bit hasty. Minkah can trade blows with him in terms of importance and impact as stats truly DO NOT always tell the whole story. While he is not on the level of my avatar just yet in terms of legacy, Minkah's presence has given this defense another dimension it did not have before.

• Like Like x 3
  15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Chances are very good that Watt will end his career on a team with different colors than that of the black N Gold. It's the nature of the business. Start preparing now for your imminent head explosion.

I however, will continue to enjoy his time here.

16. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    As long as he doesn't act like a baby, try to sabotage us from within, whispering in our best players ear to leave, bashing our coach every chance he gets, and doing all this to join our biggest rival to play 4 extra games and retire. I think I will be okay with Watt's departure.

• Like Like x 1
  17. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I went back to the thread when he was first drafted.
    Hindsight is always 20/20, but these type of comments haven't aged well:
    • Don't think he will ever be an 8+ sack linebacker
    • Reuben Foster might have been a better pick, especially with Watt's knee injuries in college

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Do you see the battles I have to fight on here? We still have Traitorson fans. People legit think a 5th was worth losing a QB we developed for 3 years and Paxton Lynch might play this weekend. We aren't interacting with the smartest bunch.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I don't know what set Dobbs up for failure worse...

The fact the Steelers drafted him to play a position he cannot play at this level (barely could in college).

Or

The fact the Steelers developed him for a couple seasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Some of us just laugh at you turning every thread into a traitorson rant. A thread could be started about Boswell's kick off tee and somewhere along the line you'll bring up James Harrison.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  21. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I still like James HARRISON. I also still like Emmanuel Sanders, Kevin Greene, Rod Woodson, I even still like Franco Harris...…….
    I don't like He-who's-name-shall-not-be-mentioned but, not because he went to the Jets!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  22. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Leveon Bell is better than them. You have a weird moral compass to be mad at Bell but Traitorson is cool.

23. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    You really are unbelievable! Not talking about LeVeon, try again!
    And don't change the way I spell someone's name. It's HARRISON! HARRISON! HARRISON!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  24. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

LeVeon Bell?????:roflmao:

25. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Neil goatdonnel