1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Watt or Garrett

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Jun 7, 2022.

1. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I don’t understand how the national pundits favor Myles. TJ has outperformed him in nearly every statistical category.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Great. Now we'll get to hear from an "analyst" again...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I don't think it's close. Watt is underrated and the superior player. Garrett is overrated, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I don’t understand your comment? Are you referring to me as an Analyst?

5. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    No, another infamous poster.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I wouldn't say Garrett is overrated. I personally think TJ Watt is the best defensive player in football. But I can't take anything away from Myles Garrett. The guy is a beast.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    People that generally choose Garrett do so as he is the "complete package" from not just an athletic standpoint but overall; no major weaknesses to be found in terms of pass rushing. Granted, T.J. Watt is no slouch himself but there is a reason why Myles Garrett has been the wire to wire number one overall recruit dating back to his days in High School and never mind being universally regarded as the number one overall pick even during his Freshman days at Texas A&M. Few prospects have been as complete as Garrett coming out in a very long time.

My major hangup though in the argument is not the aspect that Myles is the better (he is) and as such, making him better equipped to rush the passer. My whole critique of this debate stems from the arguments being presented themselves; namely what is it the argument anyways?! Should be simple to answer at a glance but when the question is asked who is the better pass rusher, more often than not, they are talking strictly about pass rushing abilities.

In that vein, Garrett is better because he is more athletic overall, which in turn, allows for a greater usage of tools in his toolbox. However, if we are talking everything else?! T.J. Watt is the superior pick. For that matter, this is no different than the arguments many had between Rod Woodson vs Deion Sanders; the latter is the best cover corner of all time while the former is the superior all around player.

In short?! If we are talking strictly about pass rushing ability, Myles Garrett does offer more overall than T.J. Watt does. Everything else?! T.J. for me and as it stands in my view, T.J. Watt is not just the best EDGE but arguably the best Defensive Player.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

Myles is best suited for rushing the passer. Problem is, beyond that.... for whatever reason, he is not nearly the same caliber of player thar T.J. Watt is. T.J. Watt has been Garrett's better for while Watt lacks Garrett literal Freak of Nature physique, T.J. has an indomitable will and perseverance that closes and, if not trumps, any athletic shortcoming he may have.... which is not as big as some make it out to be.

• Like Like x 1
  9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Not you....

• Like Like x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Oh absolutely not.

11. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    We have Watt and they have Garrett and I wouldn't have it any other way

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Garrett is a one-trick pony and he does that one trick very well. Watt is a better all around player who can rush, pass defend, rush defend…

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Garrett is more physically gifted. Watt is better, and it's really not all that close.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I don’t agree at all with the statement that Garrrett is the best pass rusher. People get enamored with his freak of nature build but so what. The stats and the eye test tell a different story. TJ Watt looks quicker and has better bend than Garrett. Watt is a heck of an athlete in his own right. When you compare their heart and drive Garrett isn’t even close to Watt. I think it is a lazy choice to pick Garrett. He supposedly comes with a higher pedigree so everyone naturally chooses him. When you factor in eveyrhting else Watt does, I feel like it sin’t even close. Forced fumbles, pass coverage, interceptions, fumble recoveries, tackles for loss. You mentioned the Woodson and Sanders argument. I agree it is similar in a lot of ways. The popular choice is the high pedigree guy, but when you lift up the hood and really look under it and then take it for an actual test drive you realize which one is the better one. Its the all flash and no substance argument for both comparisons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Sounds like your being sarcastic. Whatever ...

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Garrett got more free publicity

Watt just needs to tear someone’s helmet off beat them with it and then say the other guy made racist comments

Unfortunately Watt can’t do that because he isn’t a pos racist pig

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m going to refrain from total candor here with regard to the true motivations of the national
    sports media…but Garrett is a race baiting, lying, piece of crap who tried to murder somebody on national television and then disparaged his victim causing irreparable reputational damage and I would be the first to stand up and cheer if he tore both ACLs and ripped both biceps at the same time!!! He’s a low life punk and I hope his freaking career goes down in flames!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Kind of a self rebuttal here.

As I said, people choose Garrett over Watt for the reasons you listed. As for who cares?! Quite a bit of people; both in the NFL and fans the same. I understand the reasoning behind why people do prefer the complete package. I however, never stated I agreed with them as two aspects can be true here.

As for Watt being the superior player, I agree. However, one cannot dismiss the fact that Garrett is a two time First Team All Pro himself. Yes, T.J.s 3 + DPOY trumps Garrett's 2 but to say that Garrett is all flash and no substance simply is not true. One does not become an All Pro by being merely just flash; doubly so a First Team one.

• Like Like x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    n’ at

• Like Like x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree with most of this , but not the devastating molecular destruction of His body...LoL.
    I like 2 watch His face every time We beat them....,and If He's destroyed....I can't see it.

22. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Garrett looked like the Invisible Man against our rookie LT Dan Moore Jr.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

He also had a Groin Injury. Not an ideal injury to have when a pass rushers core and lower body are essential towards pass rushing. Regardless though, I do agree that, injured or not, Dan Moore definitely got better when the rematch happened at Pittsburgh.

24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think anybody is saying that Garrett is all flash, but he is not the better pass rusher. At best, they are comparable in that area, and Watt is superior at everything else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That’s how I fell about this series of “Who’s better “ threads

• Agree Agree x 1