1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

watt about tj

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Jan 29, 2017.

1. StillHERNation

StillHERNation Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2017
    It doesnt matter. They are OLBs.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. StillHERNation

StillHERNation Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2017
    The ones that are graded higher are 3 and 4yr starters as EDGE rushers. TJ started one year as OLB.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    that is the same for everyone in the draft. also had to practice against the top tackle in the draft.

i agree about watt. i think he'd be a good pick and i wouldn't mind his opposite side partner from wisconsin either. biegel is a stud too. plenty of numbers for him. i'd even have to consider hunter dimmick later to throw in the mix. if he ain't a kevin greene clone i don't know who is. he just makes plays. tough call this year of who can give us what or watt we need. < see watt i did there. LOL:lolol: i wouldn't be opposed to something like this either:

1. reddick
    2. adoree jackson
    3. biegel
    4. dimmick
    :cool:

4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    TJ Watts draft profile from NFL. com:

Height 6-5: weight 243:

OVERVIEW
    The third Watt brother decided it was time to join his older siblings in the NFL after an excellent junior season. Following in the footsteps of J.J. (a three-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year) and Derek (sixth-round pick as a fullback by San Diego) won’t be easy. In fact, it wasn’t easy for Watt to get on the field his first couple of seasons with the Badgers, redshirting as a tight end in 2013 and losing the following season with a right knee injury. Watt then tore up his left knee during spring practice in 2015, having surgery but returning to play as a reserve linebacker in all 13 games (eight tackles, 1.5 for loss). Finally healthy in 2016, he won a starting job and excelled, garnering second-team Associated Press All-American and first-team All-Big Ten honors with 63 tackles, 15.5 for loss, and 11.5 sacks.

ANALYSIS
    STRENGTHS
    Produced at high-end level with just one season of full-time football. Has desired length for the edge with room to accommodate more size. Attacks blockers with early arm extension and utilizes push-pull technique to upset their balance as his pet move against run and pass. Outstanding hand play in his game. Disruptive as first man in on twists. Always ready to leap into passing lane and deflect the throw. Strikes fast and early to create leverage points. Rarely has helmet involved in play and is constantly searching for the ball. Understands art of quick disengagements and can flatten out against outside run. Has good agility to clear trash near his feet and pursue the ball. Functional in space when asked to cover. Can get skinny when shooting gaps and has decisiveness and pursuit quickness to crash down the line and close-out cutback lanes. Consistent, wrap-up finisher as tackler.

WEAKNESSES

Not overly twitched-up as an athlete. Short strider who lacks explosion out of stance and up the field to bend the edge as a pass rusher. Foot quickness is average and needs to win with technique and great hand play. Won’t generate enough acceleration to crank up speed-to-power rush with consistency. Plays with a narrow base. Needs to play with more consistent bend to play through redirection by offensive line. Will have to add power in his base to hold point of attack against tackles. Pass rush menu will need more options against NFL tackles.

SOURCES TELL US

“He looked a lot stronger and a lot more confident on tape this year. He needs to get bigger, but he’s already a strong guy. I can see him standing or playing base end for a 4-3 team. He’s going to keep getting better.” -- Midwest area scout for AFC team
    NFL COMPARISON
    Paul Kruger

BOTTOM LINE

A long-limbed effort rusher who posted impressive numbers against the run and pass in just one year as a starter. He is a tireless worker who pursues from snap to whistle and his brother, J.J., will be a tremendous resource for technique and pass-rush plan. While he is unlikely to win a race to the edge, he’s a plus run defender who can get to the quarterback with plus hand work and relentless effort.-Lance Zierlein

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont have a problem with Watt but Im not going to make the conclusion he can handle double teams in the pros because he does in college.

6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    What? 4-3 OLBs aren't the same as 3-4 OLBs....

• Like Like x 1
  7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he does however have some good traits that can make you lean towards him being successful doing it by smarts, good hand use, strength and the way he doesn't let guys get to his body and the long arms to prevent that. those are things they have to teach a lot of players at the next level and some never get it. let's not forget some coaching and technique from one of the best pass rushers in the game. these are all pluses most guys in this draft don't have. :cool:

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    There's only one video dedicated to TJ on draftbreakdown.com, and this past season I didn't pack my DVR with college games, so I'm initially going with 1 game tape, highlight reels and assorted videos on youtube that focus on him and other prospects. That said, I like what I've seen so far. He will not win by dipping and bending outside the tackle with a speed rush. However, he does so many other things well. Despite limited experience at the position, he shows great hand usage and a great understanding of the "physics' of disengaging and finding the ball. He plays flat out until the whistle on every play, and unlike many speed rushers who are dead if the tackle handles the initial speed move, he is a constant threat to disengage and get the the QB or ballcarrier. In the LSU game that I watched, he consistently set his edge in run defense and was key in limiting Fournette.

I know that Mike Mayock has directly compared him to Clay Matthews. I'm not sure that I see the same athleticism, but there are similarities. It's too soon for me to say whether I'd like him better than other options at #30, but I think he has solid starter potential as an NFL edge guy (and maybe inside as well).

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

elvis, while watching watt look at the guy on the other side in biegel too. very similar and very productive. watch the other LB'ers for wisconsin too. next year a couple of them come out and they all make plays on a regular basis. all in a very similar defense that we use. i've liked what i've seen from several of these guys. worth a look. :cool: